Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    But the stupid pressure of being in 1st after the SP despite not being the best skater at the event crushed them both .
    It crushed Mirai, but I wonder what happened to Rachael.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    By Worlds Flatt looked very tired, and there's only so much that a person can will herself to do.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    By Worlds Flatt looked very tired, and there's only so much that a person can will herself to do.
    Yes, that's true. But ALL the girls were tired. I guess that's what makes Mao's victory all the more impressive. She won by sheer endurance and force of will. Yu-Na was simply out-gutted.

"The race is neither to the swift nor to the strong, but to he that endures to the end."

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    Yes, that's true. But ALL the girls were tired. I guess that's what makes Mao's victory all the more impressive. She won by sheer endurance and force of will. Yu-Na was simply out-gutted.

"The race is neither to the swift nor to the strong, but to he that endures to the end."
    Mao had much more to prove at Worlds than Yu-Na did. Kim had given the 2 best performances of her life at the Olympics where it mattered most while Asada barely hung on to the silver medal after a flawed LP, so it's no wonder Mao had much more motivation to deliver strong performances in Torino than Yu-Na did. Both women can be proud of what they accomplished this season! It's great for them and their fans!

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Burn-out from too much juggling of skating, advanced AP school coursework, getting prepared for college, all the traveling throughout the season, and the stress of a 1st Olympic Games. It's a wonder these girls accomplish all they do. They are amazing to be able to handle it all day in and day out!

vCash
    Maybe what happened to everyone else? But even worse because she had added stress of AP exams and graduating and figuring her life out. Worlds was full of bad performances and I think it just goes to show how much the Olympics took out of most people. With a few exceptions, the only people who did well at Worlds were those who did poorly at the Olympics, and I mean compared to usual, I know Yuna still won silver and Laura bronze but neither did it convincingly. Rachael didn't even make that many mistakes, but for her, it was a big deal, I can't remember the last time she popped a jump.

When you think about it, who did well at Worlds: Asada, Phanuef, Kostner, Hecken, McCorkell, Helgesson - all of whom had errors/meltdowns at the Olympics or weren't even there
    And for the men: Takahashi, Joubert, Abbott, Brezina, Rippon - all of whom had errors/meltdowns at the Olympics or weren't even there

Clearly most people trained to peak at the Olympics, so by the time Worlds rolled around, they were tired and past their peak and it showed. Those who did well at Worlds did so because they peaked later in the season, which is shown by their flawed performances at the Olympics. I can't think of one person who had totally great skates at both the Olympics and Worlds (Mao doesn't even count, she had some major errors in her Olympic LP despite her silver)

vCash
    I don't think there should even BE a worlds so soon after the Games. Too anticlimactic, plus you almost never get a full roster.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash

Depends on how important the race is in the big picture and the goal. Kim only had to have a respectable showing for anyone else and a disastrous showing for her to qualify Korea for two spots next year.

Sometimes being a rabbit is the goal and everything else is gravy. (And top prize in the World Standing Bonus.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    I don't think there should even BE a worlds so soon after the Games. Too anticlimactic, plus you almost never get a full roster.
    Agreed, it seems like a consolation competition for those who bombed at the Olympics. The majority of people didn't train to peak at Worlds after the Olympics and end up skating poorly, which is not the best way to end the season. If there had been no Worlds Mirai likely would have been much more confident now, Rachael too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Agreed, it seems like a consolation competition for those who bombed at the Olympics.
    Not the way I see it. It's just plain simple: In off-Olympic years skaters train to peak at the Worlds. In Olympic years, skaters train to peak at Olympics. If the world championship is supposed to showcase the best skaters in the world, it serves no purpose going after the Games in an Oly year. I would jettison it altogether, but if it MUST go on, it should be BEFORE the Olympics. The way the scheduling is laid out, though, it could be a challenge.

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    Sasha would probably have been 4th in the SP...but in a fair world with fair judging, i would have her in 7th with that performance. (-GOE's on lutz combo and axel). but still i think it has to do with how international judges liked her compared to the other American girl. for example, I was surprised that Mirai got lower PCS than Rachael, as it was the opposite case as US nats with US judges.

Also, i think the judges have started marking spiral sequences differently. Once her strength, I have a bad feeling that Sasha's sprials would not even be that competitive anymore because it seems that judges prefer sprials with a deep, fast, but secure edge, covering the whole serpentine pattern, at the expense of flexibility/extension (Kim and Kostner are good examples). The one thing i think she would have massive GOE's on are the spins.

vCash
    I dont think in a fair World of judging Cohen would have deserved to be below Ando though with even her U.S Nationals performance. Ando's triple-triple was downgraded so really counted as only a flawed triple-double. Her whole performance was blah, and her non jump elements arent as strong as Cohen's. And Ando got 4th in the short as it was.

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    imo, some of the scores for the ladies were not completely fair. I would have given Mao higher PCS (esp in SS, TR, CH), and felt Mirai should have been 4th. ok now that i've remembered Ando's SP again, i think that Sasha should have finished ahead of her. So, 6th place then, or even 5th, sandwiched between Mirai/Rachael.

vCash
    Mirai should have easily beaten both Ando and Flatt in the SP IMO. I agree the judges would have placed Cohen 4th. She, like Ando, would have been held up, and since her performance was probably better than Ando still she ends up just in front of her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Not the way I see it. It's just plain simple: In off-Olympic years skaters train to peak at the Worlds. In Olympic years, skaters train to peak at Olympics. If the world championship is supposed to showcase the best skaters in the world, it serves no purpose going after the Games in an Oly year. I would jettison it altogether, but if it MUST go on, it should be BEFORE the Olympics. The way the scheduling is laid out, though, it could be a challenge.
    That would be a very good idea too. Having it after the Olympics just makes for a very, very LONGG season for most competitors. Some of the skaters at Worlds had been in as many as 8 competitions in that one season! That's just crazy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I dont think in a fair World of judging Cohen would have deserved to be below Ando though with even her U.S Nationals performance. Ando's triple-triple was downgraded so really counted as only a flawed triple-double. Her whole performance was blah, and her non jump elements arent as strong as Cohen's. And Ando got 4th in the short as it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Mirai should have easily beaten both Ando and Flatt in the SP IMO. I agree the judges would have placed Cohen 4th. She, like Ando, would have been held up, and since her performance was probably better than Ando still she ends up just in front of her.
    But there's the rub. Cohen couldn't have been ranked both higher than Ando and lower than Nagasu.

Since Cohen hadn't skated in an international competition in almost four years, she would have skated in the earlier half of the competition and would have been judged accordingly (i.e., she would have been compared more with Nagasu than with Ando). Even assuming, as the original poster did, that Cohen would have turned in a better performance than at Nationals, she still would have received an edge call on her lutz. I think she would have placed seventh (behind Nagasu).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    But there's the rub. Cohen couldn't have been ranked both higher than Ando and lower than Nagasu.

Since Cohen hadn't skated in an international competition in almost four years, she would have skated in the earlier half of the competition and would have been judged accordingly (i.e., she would have been compared more with Nagasu than with Ando). Even assuming, as the original poster did, that Cohen would have turned in a better performance than at Nationals, she still would have received an edge call on her lutz. I think she would have placed seventh (behind Nagasu).
    ITA. Miki had a very strong GP season, 2 golds and a silver at the GPF, and had won bronze at Worlds in the spring, she was held up at the Olympics but she had at least competed recently and had several medals to show for her efforts. The same cannot be said about Sasha. Further, I know Miki was slow and uninspired, but she has good technique on her jumps, Sasha flutzes and two-foots and Miki doesn't.

vCash
    Ooops, posted in a wrong thread!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234