Demon Barber
    vCash

How to find an electrician?

Title pretty much says it all. I'm in need of an electrician and don't really know how to pick one other than googling and randomly picking a name. I'm new to (and skeptical of) handy-people in general (always hear the horror stories of being charged an a fortune for a hack job).

1) I asked around. None of my friends know of any.

2) The building management told me the number of the building's electrician. I thought that would be best but I call the number and it just rings and rings. Not even an answering machine to pick up. I asked to make sure if it was the right number and am awaiting a response.

3) Yelp only has reviews for 1 company, and they're mixed.

Any other suggestions of how I can find one? I'm in NYC (Manhattan) in case anyone here has anyone they'd refer.

I THINK the problem is related to a switch? Basically the outlets on one side of my wall in the living room (connected to the same switch) are finicky. They'll work. And then they won't. Then I'll wait a few days and they'll work again. Then they won't. And even when they aren't working, my CFL light bulbs will flicker quickly if I have them in the on position. Oh, did I mention my a/c plugs into these outlets too?

Thanks for any suggestions.

vCash
    Great question. How do you find a good electrician, plumber or car mechanic. Someone that doesn't just want to rip you off in this economy.

I have no idea.

What I did to find a plumber was to go to Lowe's pretend to buy a new toilet and ask them who they use to install it. They gave me his card, and when I called him, I told him I was referred by Lowe's (thinking he won't want to wreck that relationship). He fixed my toilet, was nice, and charged me $80 bucks. I have no idea if he ripped me off.

Good Luck!

vCash
    Pity you don't know my Jack Daniels man. One of the guys here at work did some electrical work for me at a previous place for a bottle of Jack Daniels.

Sorry that doesn't help you.

Maybe contact an old person's home or something like that. They usually have people who do odd jobs for them and could possibly know of someone who could have done some electrical work for them.

Agree about going to the local hardware or electrical store and asking them.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    You could try calling the Better Business Bureau or local Chamber of Commerce. I think the BBB has a listing of reputable businesses.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Angie's List
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    Call the union local. In Manhattan, it's Electrical Workers Local 1212, (212) 354-6770‎
    Union costs more, but you have a place to complain if the work isn't up to your expectations.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan