Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceJunkie View Post
    Basically its like a drag name. When you're in drag, you refer to the person as the gender which they are portraying. When they're out of drag, call them by their regular gender.

You can't file a lawsuit for spouting racist opinions, unfortunately.

(I'm curious about where the name Aunt Joyce comes from.)
    "Aunt Joyce" was Jana Bobek's (Nicole Bobek's mother) lover. Joyce Barron and Jana Bobek were together for many years before Joyce B died. Apparently, Joyce B was known as Nicole's "aunt" since I guess no one would say openly that she and Jana were lovers.. Thus the "Aunt Joyce" came to being and that's how Evy Scotvold referred to her in Christine Brennan's book... If I am wrong someone please correct me or articulate further, but this is how I remember reading about this..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I don't think this has been posted yet, but "hooker nails" referred to a teenager (at least, I think I have the right person in mind) and it was quite inappropriate.
    Hooker nails was the name for Angela Maxwell wasn't it?

vCash
    I can't believe so many FSU posters and readers don't like Dave's blog and formspring.

Sometimes what he writes isn't half as snarky as what is posted here.

Instead of saying he is rude, I think he is just brutally honest. And regardless of that, he has TASTE in skating and that's really what I care about when I read his stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodance2001 View Post
    Hooker nails was the name for Angela Maxwell wasn't it?
    I believe so.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sometimes what he writes isn't half as snarky as what is posted here.

Instead of saying he is rude, I think he is just brutally honest. And regardless of that, he has TASTE in skating and that's really what I care about when I read his stuff.
    Truth be told, the best info I've got is still from FSU--the nice, the snark and the ugly--all of it. And many fans here are really funny--funnier than Aunt.

I only visited Aunt's blog ten times or less but the lack of proper formatting/paragraphing and the comingling of gymnastics and skating make it hard for me to pick out the "meat" from what bores me, so by the time I visit his page chances are I've heard something similar on FSU, with few exceptions.

As I said, id-ing FSU posters or outing skaters is kinda out of line...the rest I still don't read because of the unappealing design of the page in general. (And the snark here is better. )
    Last edited by jlai; 06-04-2010 at 05:10 AM.

vCash
    I've met and skated with Angela a couple times a few years ago, and from what little I know of her, I doubt something like "Hooker Nails" would bother her. At the same time, that's kind of how young people talk nowadays.

What I must admit though, is that Aunt Joyce hasn't said anything that hasn't been said in FSU in some way or another. Before anyone can condemn him, say they refuse to read his blog, do you still read the nasty stuff on this board and continue to visit? I absolutely hate it when skaters get called fat, ugly, etc on this board or when their personal lives are heavily scrutinized. It isn't right, especially because this is such as an aesthetic sport. The young skaters especially are extremely vulnerable emotionally.And as far as his blog, there were some legitimately informing blogs regarding Frank Carroll, judging and some of the underreported aspects of the sport. Some of the personal comments were a bit much, anonymous quotes about Evan Lysacek being a "closeted, self-absorbed queen" sh!t on Tanith Belbin's EDs for PR - although I did get a kick out of a comment about Kwan's a "Day in the Life" being so chill because she'd gotten away from Danny, was at UCLA, probably smoking pot and getting laid.

But alas, while a Perez Hilton of mainstream pop culture can work because the subjects covered are usually big celebs (thus entitled to less privacy in the law's eyes), a Perez Hilton of the skating/gymnastics world might not work as well because some of the athletes covered aren't nearly as well-known as Hollywood or other sports stars. It makes it seem somewhat more intrusive, and I think that is the biggest problem people have had with this blog.
    Last edited by IceJunkie; 06-04-2010 at 08:12 AM.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    "Aunt Joyce" was Jana Bobek's (Nicole Bobek's mother) lover. Joyce Barron and Jana Bobek were together for many years before Joyce B died. Apparently, Joyce B was known as Nicole's "aunt" since I guess no one would say openly that she and Jana were lovers.. Thus the "Aunt Joyce" came to being and that's how Evy Scotvold referred to her in Christine Brennan's book... If I am wrong someone please correct me or articulate further, but this is how I remember reading about this..
    So did "Aunt Joyce" run an ice cream stand as well?

vCash
    I thought his posts were hilarious and also heart-felt at times.

I loved one of his recent posts about how Dick Button taught a generation of skating fans how to appreciate the finer points and details of skating- complete with a clip of Dick commenting on Peggy Fleming's gorgeous Nationals performance.

I, for one, will miss his posts. Aunt Joyce never took himself too seriously. It was good for a giggle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Yes, at the zoo, IIRC.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    You betcha.
    While in Chicago, Jana (pronounced Yana) and Joyce earned a living managing ice-cream trucks in Chicago's Lincoln Park during the summer.
    http://www.people.com/people/archive...105217,00.html

Title-less
    vCash
    What I must admit though, is that Aunt Joyce hasn't said anything that hasn't been said in FSU in some way or another. Before anyone can condemn him, say they refuse to read his blog, do you still read the nasty stuff on this board and continue to visit?
    there's a good mix of mean, snark and nice on FSU that makes me return day after day.

I dunno. Had the site been organized and formatted properly, I might have perused it more carefully and overlooked a few overstepping the bounds moments.

vCash
    Interesting. I had no idea - I knew about Nicole Bobek's "aunt" but I never put two and two together. Also, I've heard sides that Jana and Joyce were legitimately just extremely good friends and not lovers, but I've also heard they were partners. How obscure, until it was posted ^^^ I had no idea they managed ice cream trucks. So random.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    I'm sorry but you've just made me laugh out loud.

You are comparing him to Pauline Kael? She was neither vicious, nor did she lie about people or simply insult people for the pure joy of insulting people. Sorry, but the comparison is way off. She was a tough cookie but I don't recall her talking about who was having an affair with whom, anyone's private parts, all that sort of stuff which is Dave's sweet spot.

I have no inside information but I wouldn't be surprised if got a 'cease and desist' letter from someone who has a good legal case against him - there certainly are lots of candidates.
    not defending this guy nor comparing some random blogger to a critic legend but pauline was vicious and cruel and went personal beyond just the actor's craft many times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    I thought his posts were hilarious and also heart-felt at times.

I loved one of his recent posts about how Dick Button taught a generation of skating fans how to appreciate the finer points and details of skating- complete with a clip of Dick commenting on Peggy Fleming's gorgeous Nationals performance.

I, for one, will miss his posts. Aunt Joyce never took himself too seriously. It was good for a giggle.
    I totally agree.

I find it hard to understand, if you really read his blogs, how so many people could get so offended. His blog is funny, honest (and not even "brutally" so, imo) and revealing. I don't know. I guess it's a type of humor you can either take too seriously and get offended, while if you "get" it, it's harmless and hilarious. I would bet money that some of the very same skaters/gymnasts he discusses read that blog and got a total kick out of it.

I am so sad that he deleted the blog without saving it.

vCash
    Before anyone can condemn him, say they refuse to read his blog, do you still read the nasty stuff on this board and continue to visit?
    They have a wonderful thing called "Ignore" here. Plus some proactive mods. Or you can skip threads that you know will get too stupid and mean for your personal taste.

In a similar vein, I put that whole blog on my personal Ignore. (Because even the snarky name of it turned me off.)

When I was first on the Net in the 90s/ early 2000s, I used to get quite upset seeing the horrid things people would say, and I wasted so much time arguing with idiots. Now, like I said, I just try to let a lot of the idiocy skip right past me.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggplant View Post
    I totally agree.

I find it hard to understand, if you really read his blogs, how so many people could get so offended. His blog is funny, honest (and not even "brutally" so, imo) and revealing. I don't know. I guess it's a type of humor you can either take too seriously and get offended, while if you "get" it, it's harmless and hilarious. I would bet money that some of the very same skaters/gymnasts he discusses read that blog and got a total kick out of it.

I am so sad that he deleted the blog without saving it.
    You can still access the cached pages.

Re: Hooker nail. I accessed the cached pages to see what he said about Maxwell, and it's obvious he likes her.

He does have some insider info that FSUers would not reveal in a forum. But should he reveal them? hmmm.

vCash
    Isn't it mean-spirited to post mean comments here?

Loved his blog! Gonna love it more when it's back!

vCash
    As someone who hasn't been watching skating for years, I appreciated his blog and formspring. He taught me a lot about the sport, and I especially enjoyed hearing about things in the past that I've missed. It wasn't that mean. Honestly, I've seen worse stuff on here and other forums.

vCash
    I really enjoy AJ's blog and am happy that he is not gone for good. The reason I enjoyed it so much was that I took it with a grain of salt. I like that he says what he thinks. The sanitized versions of events can be a bit bland after awhile.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    I thought it was rather obvious that Aunt Joyce usually made fun of the athletes he liked best or used to like and grew disenchanted/frustrated with (well, except for Lysacek and maybe a few others). Even his post about Tanith and her ED, he said in his formspring that he loves Tanith and was a huge fan of B/A. So it tended to be criticism/snark out of love, even if it was a bit harsh at times. Definitely not a blog to be taken seriously.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast