Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I find it kind of strange that people who complain about her particular brand of pop would listen to a lot of radio stations that play her particular brand of pop, but what do I know? Apparently they look for her interviews as well--although for what purpose, I know not.
    Well they do play songs of other artists I like.. it's not all crappy pop 24/7.

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I can't believe there are people who don't like ABBA.
    Sorry...

And I'm major Meryl Streep fan. But I won't watch a frame of "Mamma Mia" no matter how much I love her!

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash

I am not worthy.

You crack me up. And I'm done. Frankly I am going to agree to disagree with you.

Moving on...

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Sorry...

And I'm major Meryl Streep fan. But I won't watch a frame of "Mamma Mia" no matter how much I love her!
    If you can't watch Meryl Streep in "Mamma Mia" then you clearly don't love her!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    If you can't watch Meryl Streep in "Mamma Mia" then you clearly don't love her!
    I love her and watched Mamma Mia to see her, but had to switch it off after she and Pierce Brosnan performed SOS.

vCash
    I love Mamma Mia....and ABBA.

vCash
    Miley Cyrus = a big yawn from me. A good girl disney star with minimal vocal talent turns slut at the ripe old age of 17. Hmmm sounds familiar. been there, done that. Why can't peopel come up with something original like...I don't know...acting their age?

vCash
    Lurved "Party in the USA." Dislike "Can't Be Tamed" and laughed at the video. She just seems like she wants to be the new Britney but also trying to rebel. Question: is it necessary for every pop princess to go through some dramatic change where they suddenly slut it up?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    Lurved "Party in the USA." Dislike "Can't Be Tamed" and laughed at the video. She just seems like she wants to be the new Britney but also trying to rebel. Question: is it necessary for every pop princess to go through some dramatic change where they suddenly slut it up?
    I think they think that that's how to look older. Or maybe someone said shut up and they heard slut up.

vCash
    Mylie Cyrus is probably trying to get out of her contract so she can "find herself." Good luck to her. She's okay as a performer, but most of her songs don't appeal to me. I never even thought that she might be a smoker, hence the "smoky" voice. Maybe it's a second-hand smoking thing.

DH was poking fun at Billy Ray Cyrus last weekend, saying he was a "one hit wonder." I thought he was a big country star, but DH doesn't agree. I guess we won't be getting a Christmas card from the Cyrus family this year since both of us have insulted the family now, *chuckles*.

I really liked "Party In The USA" and Miley Cyrus not knowing a Jay-Z song does not really affect my enjoyment one way or the other.
    Me too! I have it on my workout playlist. I'm an admitted pop-a-holic. BTW, Radio Disney Rules! (Oops, I think I was supposed to spell that with a "z". Sorry.) I like the fact that the songs are "cleansed" to remove inappropriate lyrics. If I have my kids and friends in the car, I know which stations to put on that no one will object to later.

I know. I just felt the need to confess a sekret shame.
    I truly laughed out loud at your sekret confession and your admission. Kudos.
    I can't believe there are people who don't like ABBA.
    Hated ABBA, can't stand Mamma Mia. Not too thrilled with Green Day on Broadway, either. Then again, I hated Phantom, so different strokes... I do like musical theater, but it has to be comedic.

There's a beginning skater (maybe 8 years old) at our rink who's skating to "The Climb." I smile every time she does a runthrough - it just cracks me up to to see a little kid skating to what's supposed to be an inspirational song about overcoming difficulties and finding your center.

There's a pre-teen boy on the same sessions who has fought through several injuries and growth spurts. I want HIM to skate to it. It would fit better, imo.

vCash
    I kind of like "Party in the USA" inspite of myself. But honestly my issue with the music industry isn't so much, the prepackaged music (although I don't love that). As it is them pushing on me, people who have no musical talent whatsover. I can live with someone like Taylor Swift who really doesn't have a great voice, but at least creates her own music.

And I can also live with someone like Nicole (Dancing With the Stars) who really hasn't produced great music but can sing. I mean I could go to probably any normal sized high school and probably find 100+ kids who can sing better than Miley. With all the starving singers in the world, this kind of thing is just offensive.

So for me Miley is everything I hate about the music industry right now.

vCash
    I have no children. I don't watch Disney stuff. I don't think I've ever seen an episode of Hannah Montana.

Yet this child is thrust into the spotlight I do view because...I'm not quite sure. I find her appearance to be unfortunate looking. Her voice is fine after it goes through a few filters and edits. I've even heard a song or two on the radio and thought it was cute only to find out it was her.

While not totally her fault, I don't think she should be treated like the uber star that ET and E! seem to think she is at this point. I have fallen asleep on more than one occasion watching Chelsea Lately only to get a run down of all things Miley when I wake up to E! News. When I check my e-mail on Yahoo, I'm shown some big display of her and a tantalizing headline naming her next misdeed.

It would be easy to blame Disney. They are a corporation making money off these girls and then leaving them to their own devices. I blame the parents more. Miley's parents (even better than Lindsay Lohan's parents) knew the pitfalls and issues of fame and show business. Yet they not only allowed her to do this, they thrust her into it.

I wonder about her education, her ability to grasp the real world, and even her future when all this is over. Sorry but I don't see many Grammys or Oscars for Ms. Cyrus. She'll either go off into oblivion or she'll make a million mistakes for the masses to watch.

I wish that the entertainment media would stop packaging stories about her, the Hills gang, other Disney darlings, Jonas Brothers, etc. as actual news. It is fluff - pure and simple. If I want to know about those things, I'll click on the link to entertainment news or watch that kind of show. But don't throw it up there in the breaking headlines like the oil spill and the war.

vCash
    Yet this child is thrust into the spotlight I do view because...I'm not quite sure. I find her appearance to be unfortunate looking. Her voice is fine after it goes through a few filters and edits. I've even heard a song or two on the radio and thought it was cute only to find out it was her.
    But the thing is that there are plenty of people who could sing better than Miley without filters. It would be like if people could be successful in skating-using some robotic help. Its one thing when it involves someone like Kanye West who writes his own music etc. But when it allows someone like Miley to be completely prepackaged with no talent. sigh. sigh. I guess she's kind of fun. As for her appearance, I actually think Miley's stunnng looking-not with the blonde wig though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    Ooh, now's a good time to post the clip of Miley pole dancing at the Teen Choice Awards.

vCash
    When you listen to someone wailing their way through "MacArthur Park," do you think they are fakes if no one REALLY left their cakes out in the rain?
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    huhhhh?
    Okay I just looked up the song.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    My mum said, I don't get it? Miley is worth $289 million, and yet she can't spare 50 cents for singing lessons.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    Miley Cyrus = a big yawn from me. A good girl disney star with minimal vocal talent turns slut at the ripe old age of 17. Hmmm sounds familiar. been there, done that. Why can't peopel come up with something original like...I don't know...acting their age?
    What do 17-year-olds act like?

OTOH, I don't think she's all that slutty; I've seen much sluttier 17-year-olds in person. Her new video is kind of slutty, but otherwise......? All that fuss over "pole dancing" was just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Isk8NYC View Post
    Me too! I have it on my workout playlist. I'm an admitted pop-a-holic. BTW, Radio Disney Rules! (Oops, I think I was supposed to spell that with a "z". Sorry.) I like the fact that the songs are "cleansed" to remove inappropriate lyrics. If I have my kids and friends in the car, I know which stations to put on that no one will object to later.
    Heh heh. My daughter still listens to some Radio Disney, but my son? There are much worse things than listening to fluffy pop, let me tell you. Thank goodness for mp3 players and earbuds or there would be war in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtisticFan View Post
    I wonder about her education, her ability to grasp the real world, and even her future when all this is over. Sorry but I don't see many Grammys or Oscars for Ms. Cyrus. She'll either go off into oblivion or she'll make a million mistakes for the masses to watch.
    While that's true, it seems very tragic to me, and I don't get why people anticipate this sort of thing with such glee.

Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Its one thing when it involves someone like Kanye West who writes his own music etc.
    Miley writes music, or at least gets a lot of co-writing credits. She even has a Golden Globe nomination for songwriting.

Now it might be that she just has her name on songs. But if that were the case, you'd think they'd put her name on something like "Party in the USA."

Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Okay I just looked up the song.
    Youngin!
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    My mum said, I don't get it? Miley is worth $289 million, and yet she can't spare 50 cents for singing lessons.
    Probably because she believes her own press.

While that's true, it seems very tragic to me, and I don't get why people anticipate this sort of thing with such glee.
    It is true, and it is sad. Education is important just for it's own sake. But, I suppose that being worth $289 million will take the sting away.

vCash

Miley writes music, or at least gets a lot of co-writing credits. She even has a Golden Globe nomination for songwriting.

Now it might be that she just has her name on songs. But if that were the case, you'd think they'd put her name on something like "Party in the USA."
    With a lot of cowriting credits you can get credit for one or two words in the song. (Seriously) Actually talk is that its hush but others write Taylor Swift's songs too (sigh) she just gives an idea. Her family is rich and so can do this.

Look the problem is that the music industry has become all about connections and how you look. Most importantly connections. And its just really upsetting and problematic because it means that there are a ton of young singers out there who are extremely talented who never get heard.

I realize that some of my angst at the Mileys and apparently Taylors are because I also sing, and I sing better than both. But honestly, I never tried for a music career, because while I know I have a good voice, I also knew tons who were way better than me. So it really does upset me to think about the talented people who just don't get heard because music is soo manufactored to the point where talent doesn't even matter.

Thats why for all of my at times thinking Lady Gaga is a bit much, I do respect the fact that she has talent and creates her own music.
    Last edited by bek; 06-05-2010 at 03:18 PM.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    It is true, and it is sad. Education is important just for it's own sake. But, I suppose that being worth $289 million will take the sting away.
    Or pays for a lot of education. Or makes for a nice, lazy life. Or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    With a lot of cowriting credits you can get credit for one or two words in the song. (Seriously)
    Yes, I know that, which is why I said it might be that they just put her name on songs. But a lot of the songs she is credited for are autobiographical, so I think she has a little more input than that. She does play the guitar and piano, so she isn't completely ignorant musically. Neither is Taylor Swift, who is more than wealthy enough to pay off her own songwriters without her family's help. I just don't see any reason to particularly think she does, as her songs are also autobiographical.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast