Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64
  1. #21
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    37,718
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    17138
    Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    Well.. no.. but if she's gonna mention someone in her music the least she can do is know what songs they sing. Besides.. that song is somewhat a reflection of her life.. Nashville girl goes Hollywood and when the DJ plays those songs she relaxes and feels more "at home". So I would assume by listening to the lyrics that are seemingly about her life, that she listens to (or at least knows something about) the two artists she's singing about.
    Since the song wasn't written by her or even for her, I don't think that's a safe assumption.

    The song was written for someone else who didn't sing it, Walmart wanted a rockin' pop tune to kick off the Miley/Max Azaria clothing line, and the song was deemed a good fit for both Miley and the ad campaign.

    Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    The reason people know her songs is because they play them on the radio.. I know a lot of songs of bands that I don't necessarily like.
    I find it kind of strange that people who complain about her particular brand of pop would listen to a lot of radio stations that play her particular brand of pop, but what do I know? Apparently they look for her interviews as well--although for what purpose, I know not.

    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    No one is saying the lyrics *must* be an accurate reflection of her life. But since Jay-Z is a pretty big name in the music industry, it's kind of surprising that she doesn't even "know [his] stuff".
    Really? So if I don't know any Jay-Z songs, I'm a fake? Because no one is saying that she should know his songs because he's a big name; the argument was that she's a fake for singing about about his songs when she doesn't know any of them.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

  2. #22
    Watch me move
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    16,799
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Really? So if I don't know any Jay-Z songs, I'm a fake? Because no one is saying that she should know his songs because he's a big name; the argument was that she's a fake for singing about about his songs when she doesn't know any of them.
    AFAIK you're not making money from singing songs about him. If you were, and you were also a big star in the recording industry and you didn't know at least a couple of his songs ("Empire State of Mind" got played to death last year) - *and* you sang a song namechecking him without, apparently, finding out something about him - then, yes, I would consider you a fake.

  3. #23
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    37,718
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    17138
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    AFAIK you're not making money from singing songs about him. If you were, and you were also a big star in the recording industry and you didn't know at least a couple of his songs ("Empire State of Mind" got played to death last year) - *and* you sang a song namechecking him without, apparently, finding out something about him - then, yes, I would consider you a fake.
    I had no idea people were so literal minded about their pop music.

    So when ABBA made millions singing songs in English even though the girls didn't speak the language and learned the words phonetically, thus not understanding a single thing they actually sang, did you have a problem with that?
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Age
    42
    Posts
    8,565
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1475
    Who pissed in Prancer's Cheerios?

  5. #25
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    41,896
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    12637
    I really liked "Party In The USA" and Miley Cyrus not knowing a Jay-Z song does not really affect my enjoyment one way or the other.

    Prancer, I had no idea that the ABBA girls couldn't speak English. Interesting.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  6. #26
    Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    3,343
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1851
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I had no idea people were so literal minded about their pop music.

    So when ABBA made millions singing songs in English even though the girls didn't speak the language and learned the words phonetically, thus not understanding a single thing they actually sang, did you have a problem with that?
    DING DING DING! You got it! I shudder at the mere sound of ABBA. Setting aside the issue of whether or not they understood their lyrics, the music itself was dreck! I mean seizure inducing dreck...makes me shudder when I hear it. And even if they didn't know what the meaning of the words, I'm sure they would have taken a few moments to understand the kind of topic they were singing.

    Miley and other artists have a choice in deciding what songs they'll record and what they won't. But let's assume she doesn't have any say so what so ever. I'm not saying everyone has to believe or even understand every word they sing. But if you're going to reference an event in history or the name of someone in a song that has been written for you, take 30 seconds to Google that reference so that you know what they hell you're singing about. I don't think it's unreasonable that if you're going to mention other artists in songs that you sing that you at least know something about your musical peers. You don't have to like their music, but you should know it.

    Believe me, she's not alone in Pop Princess Ignorance. There's a whole school of them out there.
    Last edited by Bostonfan; 06-04-2010 at 12:10 PM.

  7. #27
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    37,718
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    17138
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I really liked "Party In The USA" and Miley Cyrus not knowing a Jay-Z song does not really affect my enjoyment one way or the other.
    I don't think liking the song is the point of all this.

    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Prancer, I had no idea that the ABBA girls couldn't speak English. Interesting.
    They could speak a little, but had to annotate their music with pronounication guides.

    Berry Gordy had most of the big Motown stars do the same back in the 60s so they could record music in European languages and T.A.T.U sang in English phonetically.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    But if you're going to reference an event in history or the name of someone in a song that has been written for you, take 30 seconds to Google that reference so that you know what they hell you're singing about. I don't think it's unreasonable that if you're going to mention other artists in songs that you sing that you at least know something about your musical peers. You don't have to like their music, but you should know it.

    Believe me, she's not alone in Pop Princess Ignorance. There's a whole school of them out there.
    But why stop with Pop Princesses? Plenty of regular old everyday folks also hear, see, and use references without knowing anything about them or bothering to find out.

    I use a print selection from a South Park episode in one of my classes, even though I have never watched a single episode of South Park. I use a video clip of Hannity and Colmes and have never watched Hannity and Colmes other than that.

    And I am getting paid for this! I hope no one finds out what a fake I am. Of course, I usually end up telling my classes that I haven't watched either, but apparently that doesn't help in these situations.

    Sometimes, I even watch clips from shows I am not familiar with on YouTube--and I don't make any effort at all to watch full episodes.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

  8. #28
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    41,896
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    12637
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I don't think liking the song is the point of all this.
    I know. I just felt the need to confess a sekret shame.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,860
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    It is kind of amazing how many people swear they can't stand her, but appear to know all her songs and read her interviews.

    I think there are a couple of posters here who pay a heck of a lot more attention to her than any 8-13 year old I know.

    And now, if she sings a song, the lyrics must be an accurate reflection of her real life, tastes and thoughts, or she's a fake?
    I don't listen to her music, I don't listen to stations that play it. I've seen two or three of her music videos, when they've been played on some TV show that I happened to be watching. I've seen reports on her on entertainment news, I've seen her interviewed on the red carpet for awards ceremonies, and you can't even open a fashion magazine anymore without a photo of her. I read the article that was posted here, because it was posted here.

    I didn't like ABBA or any of the bubble gum (like The Partridge Family) music from my generation either.

    So, with that in mind, I still think she's a no-talent, arrogant, brat. But there are a lot of teeny princesses and princes out there who are famous and have no real talent, she's not alone.

    She has a clothing line? What is with the fashion industry lately? Handing out brand names to Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson, Miley Cyrus, and other TV, movie, reality stars who's names escape me at the moment?

  10. #30
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    vera ellen's turtleneck museum
    Posts
    29,862
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    22794
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    .



    I find it kind of strange that people who complain about her particular brand of pop would listen to a lot of radio stations that play her particular brand of pop, but what do I know? Apparently they look for her interviews as well--although for what purpose, I know not.


    I think they (the articles) are all posted here. It's like they are stalking me. And she makes appearances on AI, DWTS. I try to avoid her. And like poison oak, I am not always successful.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,020
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    You know, a few years ago I read a really interesting interview with Mandy Moore - a very intelligent, actually-talented former Pop Princess - where she went into detail about her earlier years. She got her deal with the record company at 13, they wrote all her music for her, and she went along with it because she was so young and it was a huge break for her. And at 15, Candy was a huge hit and she became a celebrity, and she released a second CD at 17, I believe, still under that record company's thumb as she'd been for her entire teen years.

    The thing was, she hates crappy pop music. She didn't like any of her music then, and she apologized to all her fans in the interview and said that if she had the money she would love to be able to pay every person who bought those CDs back. And now she's releasing much more folky music that she's actually writing and she loves, but at the time she was too young to know any other way to go about it and couldn't fathom turning down such a huge break when she really wanted to sing.

    Of course, Mandy clearly has a much better head on her shoulders than Miley ever has, and she can actually sing, and she's a pretty decent actress (loved her in Saved!), but I wouldn't be surprised if Miley's gone through much the same issue. She's trying to be more adult and seen as a legitimate artist and she has no idea how to go about doing so, so she's doing it kind of caustically and not necessarily in the way that's smartest. Which is only human. She's still a human being, folks.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,860
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Of course, Mandy clearly has a much better head on her shoulders than Miley ever has, and she can actually sing, and she's a pretty decent actress (loved her in Saved!), but I wouldn't be surprised if Miley's gone through much the same issue. She's trying to be more adult and seen as a legitimate artist and she has no idea how to go about doing so, so she's doing it kind of caustically and not necessarily in the way that's smartest. Which is only human. She's still a human being, folks.
    I understand your point. And to some degree marketing and the media are a big part of why some of the pop princesses are coming across as .

    But, I also think it's personality. Mandy Moore always came across as charming. I don't know that I would even recognize one of her early songs, but she never came across as annoying. Miley just has this arrogant, entitlement attitude about her. She tries to come across as this seasoned, expert on music and has a way of presenting herself that is just - annoying.

  13. #33
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    37,718
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    17138
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    I think they (the articles) are all posted here.
    But don't you think that's kind of weird? Miley's target demographic is teens and tweens, neither of which are here in particular abundance, and yet we have all these threads about her, and the things she says and does, posted by and discussed by people who would not, in the normal course of things, have any particular reason to dissect the pearls of wisdom that fall from Miley's lips. And yet here everyone is.

    I think the Justin Beiber threads are even weirder .
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

  14. #34
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    vera ellen's turtleneck museum
    Posts
    29,862
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    22794
    but she commented on GLEE! we love GLEE, zomg dramaz
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    not retiring yet
    Posts
    9,825
    vCash
    13051
    Rep Power
    17367
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I think there are a couple of posters here who pay a heck of a lot more attention to her than any 8-13 year old I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    The song was written for someone else who didn't sing it, Walmart wanted a rockin' pop tune to kick off the Miley/Max Azaria clothing line, and the song was deemed a good fit for both Miley and the ad campaign.
    apparently so...

  16. #36
    Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    3,343
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1851
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    But why stop with Pop Princesses? Plenty of regular old everyday folks also hear, see, and use references without knowing anything about them or bothering to find out.

    I use a print selection from a South Park episode in one of my classes, even though I have never watched a single episode of South Park. I use a video clip of Hannity and Colmes and have never watched Hannity and Colmes other than that.

    And I am getting paid for this! I hope no one finds out what a fake I am. Of course, I usually end up telling my classes that I haven't watched either, but apparently that doesn't help in these situations.

    Sometimes, I even watch clips from shows I am not familiar with on YouTube--and I don't make any effort at all to watch full episodes.
    But you understand what South Park is about right? You understand Hannity and Colmes various policial slants? No teacher worth their salt would randomly select material without having some idea of their context. The very fact that you use those materials tells me that you understand some aspect of their content and have chosen them specifically because it works for your lesson plan.

    Besides, we're not talking about the same thing. If you were a writer of the Simpsons or other topical animated show and claimed ignorance of South Park - then I'd call you a fake. If you were a political news figure on TV and didn't have a basic understanding of other TV journalists, I'd call you a fake. This is a case of a Top 40 singer singing a song and not having an iota of knowledge about another current multi-platinum singer who is played on heavy rotation on the SAME top 40 stations. That strains credibility IMO. I mean I get that many "artists" are self-absorbed narcissistic fame whores, but c'mon!

  17. #37
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    41,896
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    12637
    I can't believe there are people who don't like ABBA.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,860
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I can't believe there are people who don't like ABBA.
    I don't. But in spite of myself, I loved "Mama Mia" - go figure

    OMG! Can that mean - I (don't say it!) love musicals?

  19. #39
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    37,718
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    17138
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    apparently so...
    I have a 14-year-old who loves Miley and I get to hear all about her. What I want to know is, how do people who don't have 14-year-olds end up finding articles about her? I mean, it must require a certain amount of trying.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    But you understand what South Park is about right?
    Not especially. It's a cartoon of some sort. It sometimes creates controversy. The Brian Boitano song and Blame Canada came from there.

    That's about it. South Park itself is completely irrelevant to the point I make with the text.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    You understand Hannity and Colmes various policial slants?
    Well, Sean Hannity is an idiot because he cited a guy I know in one of his books in an act of utter stupidity for which he was rightly mocked, and Colmes is homely.

    Again, Hannity and Colmes as a show is irrelevant to the point I make with the video.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    No teacher worth their salt would randomly select material without having some idea of their context.
    I am not worthy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    The very fact that you use those materials tells me that you understand some aspect of their content and have chosen them specifically because it works for your lesson plan.
    Both were given to me by someone else, actually.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    This is a case of a Top 40 singer singing a song and not having an iota of knowledge about another current multi-platinum singer who is played on heavy rotation on the SAME top 40 stations. That strains credibility IMO. I mean I get that many "artists" are self-absorbed narcissistic fame whores, but c'mon!
    Um, again, she knew who he was. She didn't know any of his songs. Not surprising, if she hates pop music.

    And I thought the problem was that she didn't take 30 seconds to Google him because it is really important that singers understand the cultural references in their songs, not that you just didn't believe she was really unaware of him.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

  20. #40
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,711
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    17372
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    So when ABBA made millions singing songs in English even though the girls didn't speak the language and learned the words phonetically, thus not understanding a single thing they actually sang, did you have a problem with that?
    I thought this was a myth that had been debunked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    They could speak a little, but had to annotate their music with pronounication guides.
    Well, that seems consistent with what I found here (scroll down a bit for the question), although the site stresses that they did speak english:
    http://www.abba-world.net/ask/qa_feb10.htm

    I did find another site (sorry, lost it as I was looking for english) that said when they first started recording in spanish the women sang phonetically, as they didn't speak spanish at all.

    Back to Miley - clearly Party In the USA was written for her, but it is more than a bit stupid that she wouldn't bother finding out a few of the songs of an artist she was name checking. I mean, the girl's entire career is pre-packaged and the song was designed to be a bit hit - of course someone was going to ask what song of his she liked. The fact that she's a pop pwincess with country lineage makes that line stand out a lot.

    The only reason I know who Miley, Justin Bieber, etc are is from either FSU or from other snarky news blogs. One of my usual blogs made a point this morning of linking to a video of Miley guesting on Britain's Got Talent with a girl-on-girl smooch built into the performance, and that's how I found out about "pole-gate" too. Otherwise I'd have never heard her music.

    I am really glad that I was directed to the "Lesbians who look like Justin Bieber" page though
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •