Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

vCash
    I was watching a special on the Natalee Holloway case over the weekend and they were saying something about Joran being diagnosed as a sociopath but I didn't catch the whole story on that. Does anyone know if he was evaluated and that was an official diagnosis or was that just some talking head spouting off without ever having spoken to him? He certainly seems to exhibit some sociopathic behavior but what do I know. Now his mom is saying he's sick in the head and was supposed to leave for psychiatric treatment in the Netherlands when he ran off to Peru instead. But it's the media scrutiny that's made him sick in the head - he's innocent!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by uyeahu View Post
    I was watching a special on the Natalee Holloway case over the weekend and they were saying something about Joran being diagnosed as a sociopath but I didn't catch the whole story on that. Does anyone know if he was evaluated and that was an official diagnosis or was that just some talking head spouting off without ever having spoken to him? He certainly seems to exhibit some sociopathic behavior but what do I know. Now his mom is saying he's sick in the head and was supposed to leave for psychiatric treatment in the Netherlands when he ran off to Peru instead. But it's the media scrutiny that's made him sick in the head - he's innocent!
    I doubt there was an official "diagnosis". Sociopathy is not a mental illness the way depression, ADHD, or schizophrenia are. It represents a combination of personality and behavioral traits. This combination, because it is relatively rare and poses a problem for the individual's ability to function in society and for those around him (overwhelmingly male), is listed in the DSM used by psychologists and psychiatrists. The official term is "antisocial personality". The term is misleading because it's not just a personality but rather a combination of personality and certain behavioral patterns.

This is a controversial DSM entry, though, as it's unclear whether it belongs in the manual to begin with, as it's not a clinical condition.

In addition, the majority of people with antisocial personality are not violent. They do things like lie and steal and commit fraud, but they're not murderers.

vCash
    Apparently the future looks bright ... for anyone not named van der Sloot.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6597757.shtml

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456