Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Is Aruba's law more lenient?

I don't see why the Peruvian police would want to make any deal with JVDS regarding Aruba. He is arrested for a murder he committed in Peru and therefore will be tried in Peru. I understand Natalie's family and friends would want to know, but I just don't see any deals being made on this by the Peruvian authorities.

vCash
    The piece of crap is now recanting his story and saying that there was a robber in the room. Gee...why didn't we see the robber on the videotape?
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Is Aruba's law more lenient?
    I'm not sure if it is or not, but the prison is probably a lot more alluring to him in Aruba. This description of what he might face in Peru paints a very bleak outlook should he be convicted.

vCash
    The 22-year-old, long suspected of murdering the Alabama high school student in 2005, is telling authorities in Lima that he'll give them the location of her body, if they transfer him to an Aruban prison, according to Radio Netherlands Worldwide.

Van der Sloot is reportedly offering the info because he fears for his life.

"I don't want to be imprisoned in Peru," he told police, according to Peru's El Comercio. "I am afraid I will be killed."
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...#ixzz0qmEaM9cD

Considering his dad was a judge in Aruba, I would assume he has personal ties to many in the judiciary. That could very well result in leniency.

vCash
    First, I hope above all that his confession was obtained in a legal manner, and not coerced in any way that it might be rescinded if that is an issue in Peru.

Secondly, I read somewhere (sorry cannot quote) that perhaps he will get a lesser sentence than the ridiculous 35 years if he is convicted of murder because he confessed, let's say half as much, perhaps only 17 years. Outrageous.

Thirdly, does anyone else think that the guy wants to go to Aruba to tell or show everyone where Natalie is buried because he possibly thinks he could somehow escape there?

vCash
    No. I just think he's smart enough to realize his chances of survival are much higher in Aruba than in Peru and he's grasping at straws. It seems the Peruvians have enough evidence to convince a judging panel with or without a confession. Video of the both going in, and only he coming out. Most folks would find that pretty convincing and the story of a burglar pretty weak since he fled the scene without reporting it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    I'm not sure if it is or not, but the prison is probably a lot more alluring to him in Aruba. This description of what he might face in Peru paints a very bleak outlook should he be convicted.
    This is an old article from about 20 years ago. It mentions that 80% of the inmates have not actually been convicted but are awaiting trial, some for more than 8 years!

I don't know how much that has changed, but based on this article by a Médecins Sans Frontières doctor, it's still extremely hellish.

It seriously is scary If anyone is not there for life, then they'll surely be released and be even more violent than before.

ETA: In this recent documentary on Lurigancho, it says the average time for prisoners awaiting trial is 4 years!
    Last edited by Gazpacho; 06-14-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    The piece of crap is now recanting his story and saying that there was a robber in the room. Gee...why didn't we see the robber on the videotape?
    I read that was what he tried at first when they picked him up in Chile. He gave the Chilean police a story about 2 robbers, probably hoping they'd release him. He confessed to the murder when he got back to Peru and has not recanted as far as I have read. He is just trying to give info about Holloway in exchange for Aruban prison instead of Peruvian prison. I suppose Natalee's family might have religious reasons to want to claim her remains, but if it were my daughter (I am not religious), I would say "nah, nevermind, you can stay in Peruvian jail." Sounds like a far worse punishment.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Joran was on a Dutch show, and he got pissed at the reporter and threw a glass of wine in his face. I can totally see how he would lose it and become violent toward a girl who pisses him off.

I think that impulsiveness also explains why he confesses and then retracts. He can't control what he says or does, and then he looks back and is like, oh shit. Very very dangerous person.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    He is just trying to give info about Holloway in exchange for Aruban prison instead of Peruvian prison.
    And how does this work? Aruba tells Peru send him here, forget about your murder, finding the body here in Aruba is more important? Is Aruba that screwed up that they would even think about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I suppose Natalee's family might have religious reasons to want to claim her remains, but if it were my daughter (I am not religious), I would say "nah, nevermind, you can stay in Peruvian jail." Sounds like a far worse punishment.
    I think there are very few religions that actually need the remains for spiritual reasons. More like the family might want closure.

How about if Aruba sinks to Joran's level and makes the deal, recovers Natalee and then leaves him in Peru. Ha - the jokes on you.

If Aruba even thinks about bringing him back thinking they may get a location of remains they are nuts. JMO.

Politiking for Purple
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    And how does this work? Aruba tells Peru send him here, forget about your murder, finding the body here in Aruba is more important? Is Aruba that screwed up that they would even think about this?

I think the way it works is that Joran would first be tried and sentenced (assuming he is found guilty) in Peru, then the two countries would attempt to make a deal so that Joran would serve his time in Aruba. I think he is trying to make it worth Arbuba's time to want to work a deal with Peru.
    If you want to be creative, get out there and do it. It's not a waste of time" - Michael Giacchino, UP

vCash
    The sad part is, Holloway's location aside, Peru's prisons are severely overcrowded, so it's possible they could entertain the idea of extradition.

vCash
    Perhaps if the victims father weren't a politician and celebrity they would consider extradition, but unfortunately for Joran that's not the case. Too many Peruvians have an interest in seeing him prosecuted in Peru and serving time in Peru. There is irony for him in being on the other side of political favoritism/prejudice this time around. It worked to his benefit before and now it will be to his detriment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by uyeahu View Post
    There is irony for him in being on the other side of political favoritism/prejudice this time around. It worked to his benefit before and now it will be to his detriment.
    So true!

This whole thing kind of reminds me OJ Simpson. I thought he got away with murdering his ex-wife, but his personality just led him to other crimes, and ended with him in jail anyway. Maybe Peru is Joran's Vegas.

vCash
    Now it is obvious both of his parents are enablers:

In the e-mail, Anita says her son is "not a murderer" and instead suggests he is being set up.

"He is not the monster they like the world to see," the e-mail reads. "He is traumatized, depressed and has an addiction. He is not a murderer. It stinks and feels like a big trap set up for him."

Trap like he rented his own room and security cameras caught him going in with the girl and leaving alone? Mommy dearest is obviously as delusional as her devil spawn son.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Loving on babies!
    vCash

"He is not the monster they like the world to see," the e-mail reads. "He is traumatized, depressed and has an addiction. He is not a murderer. It stinks and feels like a big trap set up for him."
    Of course he has an addiction. He's addicted to killing people.

I'm crying a river that this beast is now afraid of going to the Peruvian prison for fear he'll be killed. Karma is a big, fat, smelly b*tch, Joran. Enjoy.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    He retracted his confession

De Telegraaf said the 22-year-old Dutchman claims he only signed papers admitting killing Stephany Flores because he was intimidated by police and had been promised he would be transferred to the Netherlands if he confessed.
    "I was tricked," the paper quoted Van der Sloot as saying of Flores' killing. "I'll explain later how it all happened."
    Color me unsurprised.

It could be possible that he didn't know what he was signing. But then he goes on to give a run down of how he did it. And how is he going to explain how it all happened if he didn't do it?

vCash
    This is exactly what this punk wanted...to be in the news again. Playing cat and mouse with the officials, the media and the family. I hope the Peruvians charge him with lying as well.

vCash
    Apparently the "robber" has access to the only known Cloak of Invisibility outside of the world of Harry Potter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post

This whole thing kind of reminds me OJ Simpson. I thought he got away with murdering his ex-wife, but his personality just led him to other crimes, and ended with him in jail anyway. Maybe Peru is Joran's Vegas.

I see him as another narcissistic Robert Chambers myself (complete with over-indulgent momma).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast