Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It's either a very big ice rink, or there's a lake under there.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Goodness, such a reaction!
    Actually, I wasn't responding to you but to the OP's comments about duplicity.

And yes, when I first heard skaters, years ago, say that no one knew what they did, it surprised me too. Even as recently as when I read that Tessa Virtue's college class started discussing the psychology of athletes and no one in the room (this was pre-Olympics) knew she was a high-level figure skater.

It is funny that their peers are oblivous to people we practically worship.

I was a serious classical musician in high school who played in good metropolitan orchestras, went to Interlochen for camp, won blue ribbons in state competitions and played in state honors orchestra. My immediate friends, with whom I also did local band, choir and musicals, obviously knew what I did. But if anyone else knew, the violin part just added to my burden of being a glasses-wearing dweeb who took AP classes.

vCash
    Didn't Michelle Kwan say that many students and professors at her college had no idea she was a skater? If that is true, I would say it is very easy to believe that people at Evan's school did not knowhe was when he was 15. Also if he was a quiet nerd maybe no one cared.

vCash
    Evan was an honor roll student throughout his high school years and was on prom court in his senior year (which is a BIG deal in high school). He's obviously a quite popular kid at school.

The duplicity comment is rediculous. He's always a low-key and down to earth kind of person, and he said he enjoys the 'normal' life in school as a student, if he wants to keep his life out of school private, so be it!

D/W also mentioned that not many people on UM campus know who they are, what's wrong with that?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aymkjb88 View Post
    D/W also mentioned that not many people on UM campus know who they are, what's wrong with that?
    There's nothing wrong with it - but unless their campus is really small or they are in a very small program, then there's not much comparison between college and high school in this context.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aymkjb88 View Post
    Do you have any idea how huge the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor is? Michael Phelps went relatively incognito there. There are so many different types of students -- part-time, full-time, adults, etc. Easy to blend in.

A small high school in suburban Naperville is not a comparison. All it would take is a couple of people to know and everyone would know.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    But even if someone said, "So, did you know that Evan is a skater?" how many kids would have thought he was a speed skater?
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    The use of the term 'Duplicity' in the thread title is beyond the pale! What crap!
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    The high schools in suburban Naperville are NOT small at all. That place is one of the fastest-growing cities in the US. They're all huge and it seems like they're constantly building new ones.

vCash
    Hello, Evan is LYING like ALWAYS.

vCash
    Was the last post tongue-in-cheek??

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    But even if someone said, "So, did you know that Evan is a skater?" how many kids would have thought he was a speed skater?
    If someone said that here, everyone would assume Evan was a skateboarder, because that's what a "skater" is. An "ice skater" would be one of the guys on the ice hockey team, even though they never refer to themselves that way.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Oh, come on. Many kids who are talented and advanced in one area want to fit in and define him/ herself by something other than their particular talent and drive. Evan does not say " nobody knew" or " I kept it secret", he says " some of my friends did not know". I imagine that circle of friends was pretty wide and Evan did not want to define himself as " that skater", or anything exceptional or out- of - the- familiar. It is completely normal. Many outstanding kids try not to emphasize their uniqueness, but rather downplay it. And skating here fits much more with a musical talent, for example, or mathematical talent, something somewhat unusual, a lonely endeavor, rather than being on a high school sports team.
    Duplicity my foot. It there had been " duplicity", we would be talking about a guy sneaking to the rink to skate on weekends while telling his wife he is at a bar with friends, not about the Olympic Champion.
    Last edited by dinakt; 06-03-2010 at 09:26 AM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Duplicity is when a dozen members of your Cadette Girl Scout troop who come from another town warn you that you better not let on to their boyfriends that we all were Girl Scouts, because they told everyone they had sewing class on Thursday nights

Not so are the boys that hide their ballet clothes to avoid being beaten up, like the Ukranian-born 12-year-old boy skater about whom there was an article posted here a few years ago.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    When the two jr. highs in town joined at high school, the friends I made from the other school during summer music workshop said there was a girl who was an elite gymnast (seemed to be in the same circle of friends), and I got really excited to get to know her. I don't think I ever even met her, and never saw her in a class. I had very close friends who were elite pianists (and one of them also a violinist), and they really, really kept those activities to themselves. I was toiling away in the school orchestra, my mom wouldn't let me join the bigger orchestra I got into, and I really wanted to do gymnastics and skating and never got the opportunity.

Not that I would have hounded friends and tried to live my life vicariously through them like a psycho stage mom, but I got the distinct impression that even if friends had the interest, these "elite" kids would never talk about it anyway. Maybe reflexive-tall-poppy syndrome?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Given the sheer amount of crap I got not even for being an elite rider but just for HAVING a pony (and later a horse), I couldn't blame him for not mentioning it.

But this is Evan, so of course this is just his pattern of LIES and DECIET. Like dating Tanith Belbin. (That was sarcasm.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    But this is Evan, so of course this is just his pattern of LIES and DECIET. Like dating Tanith Belbin. (That was sarcasm.)
    Wink! Wink! (more sarcasm)
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I had a girl in my sailing school for years and no one knew she played hockey, until the first US Oly team own and she was the goalie. Also, I played softball with a few of the women who played for the US in Oly softball and we never really talked about it. Another girl I played softball with for a long time was the starting pitcher for the Silver Bullets and won Gladiators (which she even hated people knowing she did).

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    So sad . . . when boys feel they have to hide who they are and live a double life.

vCash
    Why would you tell people you barely know personal things about what you do outside of school? Honestly I don't see why he *would* have told his peers he's a figure skater...it's none of their business and why would they care?

I think people share too much about themselves as it is- whether it be through Facebook statuses discussing their latest break ups, or in line at the grocery store telling total strangers about their day while they wait in line. No one cares what people do in their lives...only the people close to them, like their family and friends. I've never understood the point of volunteering stuff about yourself that people don't really care to know.

Most high school kids are not all that close to each other...you have a group of friends and that's it. Most figure skaters don't have a group of friends because they're always gone. I also don't see how it's sad that he never told them- it isn't like he was living with some deep, dark secret that ate away at his soul at night.

If when I was in high school someone brought up that they rode horses, I'd just be like "that's awesome..." but I'd be thinking "why are you telling me?".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    So sad . . . when boys feel they have to hide who they are and live a double life.
    I danced since I was three and nobody knew my entire school career. I hid it, desperately, because I didn't want to be teased. Through my early teenage years it became quite consuming. Because of this I never really felt like my profession was anything to be proud about. I was almost slightly embarrassed to tell people I was a dancer for my living. Now it's a different story and I regret not being as proud as what I should have been considering the jobs/shows/roles I got. I don't regret not telling anyone in school though.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12