Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    never underestimate the pull of schmaltz (song choice) + sob story
    I strongly suggest you pick a song that has either the word "God" or "Jesus" in it as much as possible. Perhaps even a God/Jesus medley... (And if you can have one or both give a shout out to AMERICA as the preferred country, even better!)

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    The tappers were hot IMO and considerably better at their craft than the two sisters. THAT group has the potential of being to go on for over and hour and entertain people - I can't see the girls doing that at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdoch View Post
    The tappers were hot IMO and considerably better at their craft than the two sisters. THAT group has the potential of being to go on for over and hour and entertain people - I can't see the girls doing that at all.
    IIA!
    Most of the acts we've seen, even the good ones, would have trouble sustaining a full show, It's more diffiicult than they know.

vCash
    Which is why I don't like that the end prize is a Vegas show. That boxes in people in ways you can't even imagine. I much prefer Britian's Got Talent, where the prize is a single performance, or the first season of AGT, where the prize was cash. Just because you have talent doesn't mean you can sustain a Vegas show, and just because you can sustain a Vegas show doesn't mean that you necessarily have the most talent out there! Making the prize such a specific thing means that most of the contestants are realistically out, especially everyone under the age of 18.

Sorry, mini-rant here. It's just that they way talent people get eliminated because they can't sustain a show just frustrates me. If the show is about talent, make it about talent. If it's about headlining a Vegas show, just call it "America's Got Vegas Entertainers!". :p

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I think the sustain a whole show is BS because I don't think they have to sustain a whole show alone. I thought the prize was $1,000,000 (paid in a 40 year annuity) and "headlining" a Vegas show that features other contestants as well as the winner. It runs about 10 weeks, but last year I think the whole Top 10 was in it. So it is more like a non-traveling American Idol or SYTYCD tour with the winner getting more numbers in it than anyone else. To my knowledge, Terry Fator is the only one who has landed his own permanent Vegas show after AGT Live was over. For example, I think Kevin Skinner is now doing country fairs and outdoor festivals - not Vegas.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I thought last night was a much stronger group overall - many fell short, but there were 6 I might have voted for over last weeks top 4 (except for Fighting Gravity).

My votes went to:
    Alice Tan Ridley - awesome. Love her.
    Michael Grimm - very good. But they need to make sure the background singers are not louder than he is.
    AscenDance - I really love them - so mesmerizing and peaceful yet powerful. I liked the new wall and the extra people.

Preferred to last week's group:
    Antonio the fire guy - Not as exciting as I had hoped and a little rushed, but it went better than Vegas did.
    Lil Chris - I thought he was about 15, not 12. Not ready yet, but he's got good potential. I wouldn't mind seeing him one more week.
    Wreckless - didn't knock my socks off, but again, I would rather see them one more time than some of last week's top 4.

Still weird, but pretty good:
    Hannibal Means - I think I like his animal hats better than I like him, but he does have a good sound and the song choice suited him. He just has such a weird look in his eyes. Eccentric character for sure.

Could have been better:
    Bollywood group - I think they are good, but there was too much going and it wasn't always very Bollywood looking. A tighter set would have been better.

Need to go:
    Cheer SF - blah
    Iron Horse - WTF?
    Strong Man - ZZZZZz I have seen enough
    Ronith - didn't get a laugh out of me till he did Charlton Heston, which was pretty funny. But not funny enough. Bad was mostly bad.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I thought last night was a much stronger group overall - many fell short, but there were 6 I might have voted for over last weeks top 4 (except for Fighting Gravity).
    ITA, last night's contestants were much stronger than last week's save FG.

I voted for AscenDance and Michael Grimm last night as well. Then I got tired of filling out the NBC online voting form over and over again .

vCash
    Rob: CheerSF is such a great organization. I hope they make it through. They support the GLTB community well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Rob: CheerSF is such a great organization. I hope they make it through. They support the GLTB community well
    Me too, in spite of the lukewarm judges last night. My upstairs neighbor (and good friend) is one of the tall guys in Cheer SF tossing the shorter members around.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I thought the votes were spot on. I did sort of think the judges would go with Wreckless rather than the magician, but was fine with it. Little Chris needs a couple more years, but he has a future. Michael Grimm has an excellent voice if he can get over the deer in headlights look. The advantage singers have on AI is the time to get comfortable performing on camera. They only get 3-5 times on AGT. There's going to be a lot of singers in the finals.

I could watch the Ascendance group for an hour. Piers is correct that they could fill up a big stage. It will be a hard choice between them and the hands in the dark group. Some smart producer should hire both acts for a tour. Or maybe they'll get CDS' attention.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    To my knowledge, Terry Fator is the only one who has landed his own permanent Vegas show after AGT Live was over. For example, I think Kevin Skinner is now doing country fairs and outdoor festivals - not Vegas.
    Speaking of Terry Fator, I heard his deal is quite lucrative too, something like 100 mil for however many years and he even got the theater in the Mirage named after him.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Didn't watch the results show last night, but here is who advanced to the semis from the second QF:

Michael Grimm (singer), Alice Tan Ridley (singer), AscenDance (rock wall acrobats), and Antonio Restivo (magician, judges' pick over Wreckless dance group)

Already in the semi-final: Nathaniel Kenyon (singer), Fighting Gravity (glow in the dark dancers), Christina & Ali (singers), and Future Funk (child dance duo).

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I'm still trying to figure out how they'll get 24 for the semi-final. There were only 48 advanced. 24 have done their thing. 8 have been moved forward. That leaves 24 more but 16 will have to advance. The numbers aren't adding up if they have 12 compete the next two weeks.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I also thought this week was stronger than last week. I also really love AsenDance and could watch them all day long. Another fan of Michael Grimm's here. There's just something about his voice that sends the chills down my spine. In a good way. I feel the same about Alice Tan Ridley. Man, has that lady got a voice!!

While I think the judges got the last pick right, I also think we haven't heard the end of Wreckless. Those kids are just so good, it wouldn't shock me to hear that a major Hip Hop star takes them under their wing and then on tour w/them for his/her background dancers. At least I hope that's what happens for them.

I'll actually miss Hannibal, because you never knew what he was going to come up w/next. The dude's w/out a doubt on another planet, but he was fun and does have the voice to back it up. He just didn't have a good night the other night and was pitchy in a few places, so I'm not surprised he's gone. Still...He was different and made me tune in to see him, so I'll miss him for that.

vCash
    Hi, guys. It's been a while since I posted in the FSUniverse forums.

I really cannot stand America's Got Talent. Compared to Britain's Got Talent and even Australia's Got Talent, it's rather inferior.

I find it funny that Piers Morgan is the evil British judge on AGT, and on BGT he has to dial it back a scooch so that Simon Cowell can be the evil judge. I can't stand Simon Cowell in any format. I do like Sharon Osbourne, though. I wasn't a fan of hers in "The Osbournes", but thanks to Got Talent, I've grown to like her.

This season, along with last season and the one before that, has gone completely over the top with, as I put it, "emotional blackmail". Even by reality show standards, it's extreme. It makes the show almost unwatchable.

I also have issues with the age minimum, the number of acts, and the number of performers within an act. The show says that it is open to any act of any age and any talent: I think that's the whole problem. I think that some standards have to come into play. For instance, with $1,000,000 at stake, I don't think that a 4-year-old has the wisdom or knowledge to understand what he or she is getting into. I think that there should be an age minimum of perhaps 15. Also, I think that the number of performers in a single act should be reduced to a maximum of 12. I'm tired of seeing an act made up of 2 dozen or more performers. I think it bloats the show. A performer maximum of 12 would contain the act, and perhaps force the act to be more creative than they would if 24 or more people simply hump the stage at the same time.

Plus, I don't understand why part of the prize has to be a show in Las Vegas. The singing ventriloquist Terry Fator was lucky that he had a unique talent that could sustain a Vegas show. In fact, of all the four winners of AGT, he is without any doubt the most talented, and he won his season without benefit of emotional blackmail (cute tween Bianca Ryan) or trying to ride on the coat-tails of the Britain's Got Talent (Paul Potts wannabe Neil Boyd and Susan Boyle knock-off Kevin Skinner). Even a superb talent can't necessarily sustain a Vegas show. What the winner should get along with the million bucks is some sort of development deal that can allow him, her, or them to hone their craft more.

And also, I find this show homophobic in places. But I'm not surprised, considering that the people behind this show are also behind the Idol franchise and, indirectly, So You Think You Can Dance, which are known for being gay-hostile. (A person on these shows can't say the word "gay" in a matter-of-fact manner during the program, lest he or she annoy Middle America.)

The only person this season who has interested me is Prince Poppycock. But I won't be surprised if he doesn't make it at least into the final round, even if he puts one great performance after another. I bet that the producers will play it safe and pimp a non-threatening white guy with a guitar for the win AGAIN. Groan.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    I'll actually miss Hannibal, because you never knew what he was going to come up w/next. The dude's w/out a doubt on another planet, but he was fun and does have the voice to back it up. He just didn't have a good night the other night and was pitchy in a few places, so I'm not surprised he's gone. Still...He was different and made me tune in to see him, so I'll miss him for that.
    ITA. I had tivo'd the competition night and was just checking here to see which acts got through and I was sorry to see he didn't make it.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDSSF View Post
    Hi, guys. It's been a while since I posted in the FSUniverse forums.

I really cannot stand America's Got Talent. Compared to Britain's Got Talent and even Australia's Got Talent, it's rather inferior.

IGroan.
    Maybe it's just me, but if I don't like a show that much, I don't bother watching it. There're too many other things on TV.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but if I don't like a show that much, I don't bother watching it. There're too many other things on TV.
    I agree. This season hasn't been as good as other seasons, but it is entertainment.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    And speaking of this season...Let's get on w/it, shall we?

I didn't see tonight's show until the last hour leading into now due to Deadliest Catch being on tonight as well. Since Discovery Canada split the episode where Capt Phil passed away into a two part over two weeks, tonight we were shown how his friends/the fleet reacted to the news they'd lost a friend and family member.

Anyway...Now, it very well could just be me, but tonight seems to be the weakest Quarter Final Night so far. That mime/hip hop dancer from France rocked the house, but so far, he's really the only one who has come out and "Wow'ed" me.

We'll see what the rest of tonight brings, but so far...Not impressed. Last week really did have the strongest group of all I've seen so far.

vCash
    You didn't miss anything. The first half of the show was a train wreck. Piers buzzed almpst everyone.

I see Haspop, the bike guy and the belly dancers getting through on adult votes. Debra didn't impress. It will be interesting to see which way the tweens go... CJ Dippa or the hip hop group.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast