Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    The non professional dance team was really good last night, especially since they had no formal dance training. The 19 yo singer was really cute and girls would absolutely love him if he gets over his nerves. With the proper marketing, he'd make some label a lot of money.

The 70something in the sparkley dress cracked me up. She was so cute. The side show couple were
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

Just me
    vCash
    I had to leave the room when the side show couple were on. I know this is a very "Vegas" kind of act but I just can't watch that stuff.

The non-trained dancers were very good. The judges liked them because they looked "raw," but that might not carry them all the way through. I think people will expect them to look more polished as the contest goes on.

Howie is cracking me up this season. He's like a kid in a candy store.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Howie is SOOOOO much better than Hoff it's not even funny. He does look like he's having a good time.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Apart from the dancers, it was a motley crew last night. The singer might have potential if he can calm his nerves. Other than that, it ranged from "what the?" to I couldn't watch the side show either.
    Howie just does not want to push that button - he wants them all to keep going no matter how bizarre!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I hate the manipulative story lines they tell us about the contestants, but I still cried at the two sisters who sang The Climb. They really seemed to have such great attitudes.

And I enjoyed the couple who danced on the climbing wall.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    27 of the 38 semifinalists are set

Carlos Aponte and Grosso magician are dismissed while one-note mee-maws Mary Ellen and whatshername the hand whistler are put through. I suppose these old girls have two-for-one value ... pandering to the old folks *and*being some clown acts that can get the debate and media attention stirred.

Advanced includes Alice Tan Ridley, comedic illusionist, Fighting Gravity (black-light dancers), and of course Prince Poppycock

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I'm surprised at some of the people who advanced. I liked the people dancing on the climbing wall, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy it as much the next few times I saw it.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post

Carlos Aponte and Grosso magician are dismissed while one-note mee-maws Mary Ellen and whatshername the hand whistler are put through.
    I don't get that at all. I preferred Carlos to Hannibal Means and Grosso was my favorite magician. Maybe it didn't help Grosso that Antonio the fire guy did the same illusion (though not as well). Mary Ellen is ridiculous. I don't care to see her again. Or the hand whistler.

The old guy with the bad magic (Chips?) should have been in a comedian category instead of the magic category. He'd be funny for a opener or a small club, but I would get bored with an hour of him in a theater. He is funnier than Doogie to me, but that is not saying much.

The sexy painter made it through - different yes, but I wouldnt watch that for an hour.

I also didn't get some of the 10 acts they put right through.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I was watching Deadliest Catch and missed why Carlos didn't make it. Did his nerves get to him or what? It's too bad they have catagories to fill. The old ladies won't make it past one round of audience votes. They're just there to fill a spot. There were just too many opera singers this time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I was watching Deadliest Catch and missed why Carlos didn't make it. Did his nerves get to him or what? It's too bad they have catagories to fill. The old ladies won't make it past one round of audience votes. They're just there to fill a spot. There were just too many opera singers this time.
    They didn't say explicitly. I think they felt that Carlos wasn't "good TV"
    I'm watching for the setups right now... who's in to take votes away from someone they're not particularly fond of. You can see that they don't want a male contemporary singer to win this time by pitting the bluesy guy against the singer/songwriter guy. Same with the opera guys... two "entertainers" who will cancel each other out.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Mary Ellen is ridiculous. I don't care to see her again.
    I hit the mute button and went to the fridge when she came on.
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post

Carlos Aponte and Grosso magician are dismissed while one-note mee-maws Mary Ellen and whatshername the hand whistler are put through. I suppose these old girls have two-for-one value ... pandering to the old folks *and*being some clown acts that can get the debate and media attention stirred.
    This.
    "In no way do I think I stopped commanding a spotlight. I think I travel with one." -- Johnny Weir

vCash
    I wonder why they bother advancing some of the questionable acts; when they have no chance at the Million, and a successful Vegas act couldn't be built around them?

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I wonder why they bother advancing some of the questionable acts; when they have no chance at the Million, and a successful Vegas act couldn't be built around them?
    So that the judges/producers plants hopefuls have a better shot at winning?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    So that the judges/producers plants hopefuls have a better shot at winning?
    The way the voting works is to put a *bad* act up against a *good* act so the bad will be the one eliminated. They take out half the groups at a time. The good news is you don't have to sit through the bad acts but once. The bad news is the good acts better not blow it because they don't get many more chances to get to the final. You can have a bad night on AI and still progress. You don't get that on AGT.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I also think that they like variety in the acts. So even if the best 48 performers were singers and dancers, they'd still put through some comedians, magicians and novely acts to avoid it becoming just a singing or dancing competition.

I have to think this because otherwise there is no explanation for advancing the air guitar act.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    They didn't say explicitly. I think they felt that Carlos wasn't "good TV"
    I'm watching for the setups right now... who's in to take votes away from someone they're not particularly fond of. You can see that they don't want a male contemporary singer to win this time by pitting the bluesy guy against the singer/songwriter guy. Same with the opera guys... two "entertainers" who will cancel each other out.

ITA. The last 2 winners were male country and male opera and I think they'd like a variety act to win. Terry Fator is the only non-singer to win I think, plus he does sing in his act.

vCash
    I've had the belief over the past couple of years that Jeff Dunham was the ventriloquist who'd won AGT. Thought that he'd taken his family friendly AGT act, dirtied it up, and thusly made several more $millions. Oops.

The "talent" in group B was pretty limp. Methinks that some of the A-listers wuzrobbed by virtue of being compared to the top shelf "A" talent versus the lower shelf "B" folks.

I did notice that last night's "in" acts included a couple from group A, one a vocal group (foursome?) and the other a male singer. I'd thought that the guy, good looking/curly-haired, was great and wuzrobbed in Group A. Or more aptly, he wuzdisappeared during the Group A "in or out" segment. Now we know why he wasn't seen being told an "in or out" then ... seems he was held back, told to "sit tight and see what happens in Group B". Good for him there was enough suckage in B to get the interrupted advancement.

Speaking of male vocalists, how did that little Asian guy get in? Horribly lame performance, even more insipid nervousness than Debra, and tiny, out-of-tune vocals.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Did the 2 singing sisters who had Cystic Fibrosis make it in? I haven't watched it yet.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Did the 2 singing sisters who had Cystic Fibrosis make it in? I haven't watched it yet.
    Yes. One of the kidlet dance troups made it and one didn't. I don't think the homeless group got through.

I'm still about the air guitar group. I think they should have been included with the novelty group and another of the real bands put through in their place. Most of those real bands seemed to agree.

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast