Thread: Smoking Toddler

vCash

Smoking Toddler

OMG.... He's only 2 years old!
    Smoking Toddler

Mulyadi told Diana that she needed to find other things to occupy the boy's time.

But he told us what was disturbing was that the parents motivation to get Aldi to quit wasn't stemming primarily from an understanding of the risk to his health, but more from the cost of spending four dollars a day -- Aldi smokes an average of 40 cigarettes daily.
    "Well, I don't want to give him cigarettes, but what I am I supposed to do? I am confused," his mother said. "I didn't let him smoke, I even forbade him from smoking, but I was trying to stop him from getting sick."

She showed us a scar on Aldi's head, where she said he smashed his head into a wall during one of his tantrums. She said he also vomits when he can't satisfy his addiction.

vCash
    Nicorette please!

vCash
    Where does he get the access?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    Where does he get the access?
    It says the parents have quit smoking and sought help for him but give in when he goes through withdrawal, and it also says that he's become an entertainment spectacle with people giving him cigarettes because they think it's funny

He's under child social services, but I guess, like in many countries, they're not doing enough.

By the way, I have difficulty believing he's only two. I would guess that he's at least 4 but perhaps is cognitively developmentally delayed because of his mother's smoking during pregnancy.

Grooving!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    He's under child social services, but I guess, like in many countries, they're not doing enough.
    I read it to mean that a different child, a 4 year old, was under Child Protective Services and had successfully quit smoking.

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Nicorette please!
    Funny thing is we were looking at a pack of bf's Nicorette lozenges the other day and right on the package it says "Adult dosage.." and we were laughing about how they have to specify adult and started making jokes about someone calling and asking how much they should give their 3 y/o to curb his smoking habit. Whoever thought a toddler might actually need it?

vCash

That's freaky, to say the least.

vCash
    This made me absolutely sick watching it.

Indonesia is one of the worst countries for smoking. Cigarettes are incredibly cheap and the government will not do anything about health warnings. Problem is that innocent people die of smoking related illnesses because they are around members of their families who smoke.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash

By the way, I have difficulty believing he's only two. I would guess that he's at least 4 but perhaps is cognitively developmentally delayed because of his mother's smoking during pregnancy.
    He looks about two to me, but just severely overweight. While I certainly don't advocate smoking during pregnancy, is there proof that shows a direct correlation between a child that is "cognitively developmentally delayed" and his/her mother that smokes during pregnancy?
    Last edited by DaveRocks; 06-02-2010 at 12:27 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRocks View Post
    He looks about two to me, but just severely overweight. While I certainly don't advocate smoking during pregnancy, is there proof that shows a direct correlation between a child that is "cognitively developmentally delayed" and his/her mother that smokes during pregnancy?
    I don't think so. If there were, the incidence of cognitively and developmentally delayed would be less today than it was in the 60s and 70s, when so many people (including mothers-to-be and mothers). And it would be less in cultures where people smoked less - so far as I know, the rate of mentally handicapped children is consistent across cultures.

Disturbing video though. And the fact that the kid is so extremely overweight in addition to being a compulsive smoker is odd - the kid needs a physical and mental health assessment and the parents need help finding a smoking cessation program suitable for a two-year old smoker.

And the child has been getting cigarettes from somewhere, which his parents should not have allowed. They have been woefully negligent, but it appears that Indonesia does not have a policy in place for dealing with such a case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post

And the child has been getting cigarettes from somewhere, which his parents should not have allowed.

His parents are giving them to him

vCash
    I guess they don't have parenting classes in Indonesia. What a sad story.

The parents could use some education in setting limits, but it seems like there are also many cultural influences at work.