Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I don't see anything in LOTR that couldn't have been done by any other random blockbuster director.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John 3 17 View Post
    Then it wouldn't have been LOTR, now would it?

-Bridget
    I am sorry for the confusion: rfisher and I were talking about Harry Potter. Don't mean to hijack the thread.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John 3 17 View Post
    Then it wouldn't have been LOTR, now would it?

Love the books and the movies by PJ. I'm usually very, very particular about my favorite books being made into movies (Chronicles of Narnia are my favorite books ever and I detest, loathe, etc the movies). I was shocked by how very much I loved them. My only beef was making Aragorn such a doubter in himself. In the book, he really is already very king-like and quite comfortable with his destiny. Very self-assured. Hated that PJ made him question himself. Aragorn is one of the most important figures in the series so that was a shame. Oh, and the part with Sam abandoning Frodo due to Gollum's lies; that really ticked me off. I fast-forward that part whenever I watch the DVD. Otherwise, loved just about everything and would be thrilled if PJ winds up directing.

-Bridget
    Every modern adaptation apparently has to have at least one wildly out-of-character scene for at least one main character. Talk about throwing things -- I practically have a screaming fit every time I see the scene where Amy starts whaling on Arthur in Little Dorrit, even though it's a really good adaptation on the whole. Yet another reason why the FF button was invented.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    There's no guarantee that PJ will do it. He said it would be the last resort and they are still looking for directors. I read this somewhere else but this person felt PJ shouldn't do it because his career needs more than just hobbits and wizards. Thinking about it, I do agree. I heard he is in the talks to do Mortal Engines, a steampunk novel series. I kind of hope he would get going on that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I am sorry for the confusion: rfisher and I were talking about Harry Potter. Don't mean to hijack the thread.
    Aha; I misunderstood since I'm not into HP and didn't realize you all were talking about that

-Bridget

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Every modern adaptation apparently has to have at least one wildly out-of-character scene for at least one main character. Talk about throwing things -- I practically have a screaming fit every time I see the scene where Amy starts whaling on Arthur in Little Dorrit, even though it's a really good adaptation on the whole. Yet another reason why the FF button was invented.
    I always feel such dramatic changes are an insult to the author and proof of the movie industry's conceit that they can do it better. If a book is popular enough to warrant a film adaptation, then it shouldn't need core changes. Condensing and editting is fine and expected; but changing the personality of a character is unnecassary. If it's not in the name of saving time, I don't like it

-Bridget

vCash
    From The Dominion Post of New Zealand (June 1): Sir Peter Jackson says he may step in

vCash
    Peter Jackson did well with the movies IMO, not so much with a "style" but with the people he chose to work with, and the people he chose for the cast. That cast got along so great and had such great chemistry that it really made the movies come together. There weren't any drastic stand out "whoopty doo" stars in it. You saw the characters rather than the actor. Miranda Otto was awesome as Eowyn. Bernard Hill was wonderful as King Theoden (Rohan is my favorite part of the movies). Viggo was terrific as Aragorn. and on and on. Then Howard Shore's score for the movie....unbelievably beautiful. Lighting of the Beacons scene = best scored scene in a movie IMO. The CGI was really well done. The scenes with Gandalf and the Hobbits superb.

Love these movies(probably why I have theatrical versions, extended versions, saved magazines...one of which I ordered directly from New Zealand etc...) and they'll always hold a special place for me. Peter Jackson did a wonderful job. You can never make movies exactly like the books, it's a matter of interpreting as a director what will play well to extreme fans and the general public. Just think of all the people that were turned on to read the books and experience that, because of these movies.

vCash

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12