Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Director of The Hobbit drops out of movie.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=10786288

Guess there have been so many delays that he can't stay on the project anymore without compromising a lot of other projects. It's too bad, but I understand his reasons.

vCash
    I've been out of the loop... how come PJ isn't directing? He'd do a perfect job, obviously. And why two films? I think "The Hobbit" would do fine as one film. It's not anywhere as rich as the LOTR trilogy; I was surprised to read that.

Thanks for the info, SG!

-Bridget

vCash
    If Drood is one of the projects he's leaving to work on, he should've stuck with The Hobbit. I've read both, and Drood was okay, but The Hobbit was much better.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    While that's part of what Wyliefan is touching on in her post, it's not the entire story. We've been hearing for the last two years that MGM's finance problems would throw a very big monkey wrench into returning to Middle-Earth and seems that's not just a rumour anymore. It's also not only TH affected by MGM's money problems. It's also ended up postponing the next Bond/007 movie.

Considering both franchises are for sure money makers and...That gives you a good idea of just how bad things are at MGM.

vCash
    I think that they are adding supplementary stuff for the Hobbit movie. Plus 'm sure the production company wanted to make as much money as possible. And there's plenty of stuff in the book to fill two movies.

I just hope that it won't feel like filler.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    If Drood is one of the projects he's leaving to work on, he should've stuck with The Hobbit. I've read both, and Drood was okay, but The Hobbit was much better.
    You read the books, or you read the screenplays?

vCash
    The books.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    PJ did say (even more recently) that if it comes down to saving the project from being dumped, he'll direct it himself.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I don't care who directs it, I find the series vastly superior to a sleeping pill, both books and the movies. Weird, since I am such a devoted Harry Potter fangirl.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I don't care who directs it, I find the series vastly superior to a sleeping pill, both books and the movies. Weird, since I am such a devoted Harry Potter fangirl.
    Speaking of, are there any DH Part 1 trailers out yet?

And Emma Watson did a burberry ad. She's gorgeous.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Haven't seen any but there's this: http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovie...ed-series-ends

November 19th!!!

Yes, Emma is very pretty but I still won't buy Burberry.

Wait, there is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7SVlKWFn0&feature=fvw
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Love the books and movies. Much more detailed than Harry Potter, and therefore can be tedious to some.

vCash
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Peter Jackson is such a crap, bland, styleless director.

Guillermo Del Toro has an absolutely amazing visual imagination and flair and has directed a number of very interesting films, like "Pan's Labyrinth" which is excellent.

Whilst I hated what Jackson did with LOTR, I was extremely excited about Del Toro's take on "Hobbit." So crushed and dissapointed now.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    Love the books and movies. Much more detailed than Harry Potter, and therefore can be tedious to some.
    Details I don't mind. It's the utter humorlessness that turns me off.

from Speedy Death

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I thought The Hobbit had quite a bit of subtle humor. At least more than LOTR. But then Tolkien was all about war and the raping of the countryside. There's some suggestion of having Alfonso Cuaron direct. I hated his version of PoA.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I love Alfonso Cuaron and PoA. No one does teenage angst better.

from Speedy Death

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Well, I grant the angst was there. I just didn't like the departure from the books, but then every movie except the first has disappointed me in that regard.

I did like PJ's LOTR. For some reason, his script editing didn't bother me. In fact, his amplification of the female roles, in particular Arwen, were quite good. Well, I was yelling at the screen when Frodo and Sam were hauled back to Gondor by Faramir, but that was the only time I threw stuff.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Well, I grant the angst was there. I just didn't like the departure from the books, but then every movie except the first has disappointed me in that regard.
    I think departure from the canon is inevitable. If they'd only thought of doing it in several parts before...

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I think departure from the canon is inevitable. If they'd only thought of doing it in several parts before...
    Then it wouldn't have been LOTR, now would it?

Love the books and the movies by PJ. I'm usually very, very particular about my favorite books being made into movies (Chronicles of Narnia are my favorite books ever and I detest, loathe, etc the movies). I was shocked by how very much I loved them. My only beef was making Aragorn such a doubter in himself. In the book, he really is already very king-like and quite comfortable with his destiny. Very self-assured. Hated that PJ made him question himself. Aragorn is one of the most important figures in the series so that was a shame. Oh, and the part with Sam abandoning Frodo due to Gollum's lies; that really ticked me off. I fast-forward that part whenever I watch the DVD. Otherwise, loved just about everything and would be thrilled if PJ winds up directing.

-Bridget

vCash
    I think PJ did an excellent job visually and storyline wise with LOTR. I won't say I didn't hate the departures of the book and characters though. It pissed me off. But it didn't take away from the stunning trilogy he made. Seriously the cast was awesome. Especially Viggo as Aragorn. I can't say I was overly enthused by the casting of EW as Frodo and Sean Astin as Sam, but I'm a little picky about the fact that Frodo and Sam were completely the wrong ages.

However they brought the trilogy to life.

I don't think I'd mind seeing PJ's version of The Hobbit, as there wouldn't be major departures to the feel of the LOTR trilogy. However I would be kind of fun to see how the feel would change with the change of directors. I have to say that The Hobbit definitely has a different feel than LOTR. I think that was why I never read LOTR for the longest time as a kid because I loved The Hobbit and didn't want to move on to new characters.

I"m glad I read them though. I seriously feel like they are on my Top 10 books to read ever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast