Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 179
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    Posts
    2,545
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Ugh. I can't believe I allowed myself to be pulled into opening day of the first movie, with my friend the interior designer who's obsessed with The Bachelorette, and my other friend the biological-clock-ticking teacher (she's about to pop one out now thank goodness). Indeed, it was a room full of cooing gals in their designer duds trying to become the foursome with a few tagalong gays spotted into the seats. Never again! Maybe when it's on TBS years from now and I'm cat-sitting I'll watch it.

    I'm predicting this, though: That new book that's out about Carrie's teenage years? They're going to make a movie about it, and it's going to star some teenage actress that's going to out-trainwreck Lohan. It's going to be worse than all those other whiny teen movies that are supposed to represent our youth today. And I bet it's coming within the next two years. You know, to breed the next generation.

  2. #42
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    18,190
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    18547
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    I'm predicting this, though: That new book that's out about Carrie's teenage years?
    I managed to miss this, but that would put her teenage years in the late '70s'/early '80's, no? Ah, the fashion disasters...
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Alone. With my eyes open.
    Posts
    3,854
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    OK Rexy baby, or anyone else who is a fan. Can you please explain to me why Carrie Bradshaw is a likeable character?
    She's not, but that doesn't mean the show wasn't funny.

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,721
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    You want in?
    Really...I think you're going to be able to round up more than a foursome. Can I join???

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    Posts
    21,091
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    12584
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Bueller?
    Bueller?
    Bueller?
    Ugh.....I don't know if that reference was intentional (regarding the following thought), but part of what makes SJP/Carrie Bradshaw even more annoying is that she actually married Ferris Bueller .

    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Will you marry me?


    If I accept, we'd make an even more unusual couple than James Carville and Mary Matalin
    "Meryl is from a magic planet where Disney princesses come from, and [Charlie's] hair is a magic carpet." ~~ Stephen Colbert, on The Colbert Report

  6. #46
    Saint Smugpawski
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    Posts
    11,415
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14623
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Really...I think you're going to be able to round up more than a foursome. Can I join???
    Of course. The more haterz the merrier.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

  7. #47
    Watch me move
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    16,709
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    sexy
    Rex, I am SO disappointed in you

    and was able to come to terms with singlehood
    She was? Then why did she spend umpteen episodes and two movies whining about it?

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sochi voids
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,137
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Ugh.....I don't know if that reference was intentional (regarding the following thought), but part of what makes SJP/Carrie Bradshaw even more annoying is that she actually married Ferris Bueller

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,647
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17182
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Rex, I am SO disappointed in you
    LOL, you and about ten thousand other people....

    She was? Then why did she spend umpteen episodes and two movies whining about it?
    Well, married characters in some shows whine about being married. But being single didn't destroy her and her ultimate goal was not the house with a white picket fence and 2.5 children...

  10. #50
    Blergh
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,266
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16981
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

  11. #51

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Alone. With my eyes open.
    Posts
    3,854
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    "Why did the door go into the lightbulb? …Because of Care Bear."

  12. #52
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,481
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19409
    Peppy article but now I am questioning my decision to see this in a theater.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  13. #53
    Blergh
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,266
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16981
    I wouldn't pay money to see it.

    At least with the first one, I was curious because as much as I loathed the show (to me it represented and perpetuated the worst kind of American materialistic, shallow culture that tried to make itself deeper or more thoughtful than it truly was), I ended up watching it out of both curiosity and boredom and now I remember scenes and lines from it.

    However, this second movie just looks awful all-around.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

  14. #54

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,029
    vCash
    1050
    Rep Power
    31
    I saw it on Friday night and as a female veteran who when deployed in 2005 spent a great deal of time in the Persian Gulf (including many visits to the UAE as well as Bahrain) I am still CRINGING from the scene with how Samantha was being towards the Muslim men at the souk. I won't descibe it here because some of you don't want spoilers but I felt that it was terrible.

    Do I agree with their cultural views of sexually and particularly how they view it about women? Absolutely not and I am beyond thankful I live in a country where those views aren't rampant. But when you are in a foreign country, regardless of whether you agree with it, you have to go along with their rules because you don't want to get arrested in a foreign country or have anything worse happen to you.

    Even in a progressive Middle Eastern country such as the UAE, it is highly likely that if a Western female were to act like that (especially like Samantha did and being that the episode happen during their CALL TO PRAYER ), forget the fear of getting arrested - several of the men would have beaten her up. Maybe worse.

    The attitude I got from that was, "Here is how we are sexually and if you don't like it, SO WHAT?!". Well, you just can't show that attitude in a culture like that. And you better figure that out before you go overseas. Or stay home.

    I didn't know which was worse - the movie's attitude or from the laughter of the women in the theatre, their apparent ignorance of this. I know it is a comedy, but still.

    Just my $ .02. Wondering if anyone else who saw the movie felt the same way.

  15. #55
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,814
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    1742
    I was surprised they staged this in the Middle East.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  16. #56

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,525
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4753
    Roger Ebert's review of this movie is very entertaining:

    Some of these people make my skin crawl. The characters of "Sex and the City 2" are flyweight bubbleheads living in a world which rarely requires three sentences in a row.
    Any mother who wears her vintage Valentino while making muffin topping with her kids should be hauled up before the Department of Children and Family Services.
    A sample of Carrie's realistic dialogue in a marital argument: "You knew when I married you I was more Coco Chanel than coq au vin." Carrie also narrates the film, providing useful guidelines for those challenged by its intricacies. Sample: "Later that day, Big and I arrived home."
    http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/100529986

  17. #57

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Alone. With my eyes open.
    Posts
    3,854
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovepaydays View Post
    I saw it on Friday night and as a female veteran who when deployed in 2005 spent a great deal of time in the Persian Gulf (including many visits to the UAE as well as Bahrain) I am still CRINGING from the scene with how Samantha was being towards the Muslim men at the souk. I won't descibe it here because some of you don't want spoilers but I felt that it was terrible.

    Do I agree with their cultural views of sexually and particularly how they view it about women? Absolutely not and I am beyond thankful I live in a country where those views aren't rampant. But when you are in a foreign country, regardless of whether you agree with it, you have to go along with their rules because you don't want to get arrested in a foreign country or have anything worse happen to you.

    Even in a progressive Middle Eastern country such as the UAE, it is highly likely that if a Western female were to act like that (especially like Samantha did and being that the episode happen during their CALL TO PRAYER ), forget the fear of getting arrested - several of the men would have beaten her up. Maybe worse.

    The attitude I got from that was, "Here is how we are sexually and if you don't like it, SO WHAT?!". Well, you just can't show that attitude in a culture like that. And you better figure that out before you go overseas. Or stay home.

    I didn't know which was worse - the movie's attitude or from the laughter of the women in the theatre, their apparent ignorance of this. I know it is a comedy, but still.

    Just my $ .02. Wondering if anyone else who saw the movie felt the same way.
    I don't think that was the movie's attitude, but rather the attitude of one character. Samantha pretty much always goes out of her way to be inappropriate, no matter where she is.

    Spoiler

    The other ladies called her on her behavior repeatedly, and I the entire time the audience was on edge expecting that she would end up in some kind of trouble for it,

    Spoiler

    . I think most people realized that her actions were dangerously stupid, but they were classic Samantha. And, although it played out in a comical way, I think there was also the underlying suggestion that in reality, the consequences could have been much worse.

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,758
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovepaydays View Post
    But when you are in a foreign country, regardless of whether you agree with it, you have to go along with their rules because you don't want to get arrested in a foreign country or have anything worse happen to you.
    I just came back from Egypt, and I was suprised by the number of tourists women that walked around the Cario's souk in short shorts, tank top with spaghetti straps, etc. One event that stuck on my mind was these three 30-ish Italian women in heavy make-up and form-fitting clothes ( one was wearing a purple strapless pantsuit ) walking down the souk; the Egyptian men were lining up the streets, broadly smiling, inviting them to come into their shops.

    ----------------------------

    SATC2 is 2nd at the B.O. with $37.7 million. Not bad for a film that was completely trashed by all the major critics. I can't recall any other major film that has been so hated by the critics.
    Last edited by orbitz; 05-31-2010 at 12:31 AM.

  19. #59
    Blergh
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,266
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16981
    Isn't that B.O. Number a little disappointing when the first movie had a much higher number and when there is relatively little competition on the market? Not to mention the major hype machine it has backing it up and the built in fanbase that any established franchise has.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    12,995
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post

    ----------------------------

    SATC2 is 2nd at the B.O. with $37.7 million. Not bad for a film that was completely trashed by all the major critics. I can't recall any other major film that has been so hated by the critics.
    What was 1st?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •