Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    OK Rexy baby, or anyone else who is a fan. Can you please explain to me why Carrie Bradshaw is a likeable character?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    You have drank the SATC Kool-Aid....
    Honey, I drank that kool aid years ago, when it was a series! I got into it as the final season began, watched every single one and finished the season finale with everyone else. I own the entire series, the only show I own every season of!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Saw it yesterday........I thought it was hilarious and enjoyed all the characters except Carrie. She's such a shallow bitch (and I watched the whole series) Loved Samantha..........if she wasn't in the movies I wouldn't enjoy them.

vCash
    I saw it on midnight on Thursday morning with some girlfriends (as everyone else did), and while I enjoyed it for what it was, I actually found it a tad offensive. I'm an anthro major who just took a Middle Eastern Cultures class so it was fresh in my mind. My best friend who is a gay man (and LOVES Sex and the City) said he thought the over-the-topness of Stanford and Anthony's wedding was too much. I don't know. It wasn't even all that which bothered me the most, it was just that the writing was so bad. I mean, it was fun to escape into this fantasy world where everyone has a different Prada, Chanel and Marc Jacobs outfit for every day of the month, but when it was over, I had the same feeling as if I had just eaten an entire bag of skittles. It was just TOO much.

Carrie is a bitch, but I think that's why everyone loves her. She's whiny and has to constantly be assured she's in love. I started watching SATC when I was 15 when it came on TBS edited. I finally bought the entire series last year and, wow, man it was edited!
    Last edited by IceJunkie; 05-29-2010 at 06:00 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I will see it as a girls night out, skategods help me. I hope we have time for drinks before showtime.

I heard such bad things about it though, it might take a couple of drinks to enable me to sit through it.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    OK Rexy baby, or anyone else who is a fan. Can you please explain to me why Carrie Bradshaw is a likeable character?
    Are any of them likeable? Carrie's a whiny, insecure bitch, Miranda's a cranky, selfish bitch, Samantha's a self-important, egotistical, sex-crazed bitch, and Charlotte's an emotional trainwreck of a bitch.

Honestly, the characters from Seinfeld were positively adorable compared to these four idiots.

ETA: I suppose, though, given Carrie's equine face and parakeet-claw hands, it's no wonder she's insecure.
    Last edited by Cyn; 05-29-2010 at 06:43 AM.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Are any of them likeable? Carrie's a whiny, insecure bitch, Miranda's a cranky, selfish bitch, Samantha's a self-important, egotistical, sex-crazed bitch, and Charlotte's an emotional trainwreck of a bitch.

Honestly, the characters from Seinfeld were positively adorable compared to these four idiots.
    Will you marry me?

I hate that effing show and all the hype around any version of it. I watched 15 minutes of one TV episode and turned it off, because I wouldn't spend 15 minutes with those airheads in real life and certainly wasn't going to waste any more of my life on them. I hate that somehow the SATC women have become emblematic of how women "really are" (gag me), and that somehow women's lives are now incomplete if they don't go out with their girlfriends and drink cosmopolitans, eat cupcakes, and wear ridiculous shoes. And this may be a revelation to the "creative" people who put the show together, and who think they are SO courageous and groundbreaking, but women talked honestly with their friends about sex LONG before Sarah Jessica Parker let out her first bug-eyed squeak.

I hope the film is a gigantic flop so that we never have to see any of these characters ever again.

(BTW I sat behind Cynthia Nixon at a play in NYC and she is very low-key and normal. So I don't hate all of the actresses anyway )

vCash
    Wait--Stanford and Anthony are married? They hated each other in the series. Gah, they did that because they're the only gay people on the show. Stanford can do better.

vCash
    After seeing all the comments I will probably watch it on DVD

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Stanford can do better.
    This.

I like Charlotte, and she's the last one I expected to like. Maybe because she's the only one of the four who's kind.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    here is my favorite review of the movie: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/b...nt?oid=4132715

I have enjoyed the SATC eps I've watched, in a "wow those women are completely vapid and self-absorbed" kind of way, but saw no need for any movies, let alone two.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    From the review:

At sexism's funeral (which takes place in a mysterious, incense-shrouded chamber of international sisterhood), the women of Abu Dhabi remove their black robes and veils to reveal—this is not a joke—the same hideous, disposable, criminally expensive shreds of cloth and feathers that hang from Carrie et al.'s emaciated goblin shoulders. Muslim women: Under those craaaaaaay-zy robes, they're just as vapid and obsessed with physical beauty and meaningless material concerns as us! Feminism! **** yeah!
    I've noticed several critics bringing this up and laughing at it, but I read an article in "The New Yorker" years ago about upper middle class women in Iran, who were forced to wear chadors in public, but who wore fine, designer clothes underneath then, and they would shed the chador at private parties.

I'm not planning to see the movie, because from all descriptions, its cultural insensitivity is appalling.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

is lutz crazy!!!
    vCash

She's not - Well at least I HATE her!!! She's self obsessed and has made some incredibly stupid decisions that she then whines about forever.

But I love the others! Miranda for how the character has evolved, Samantha for sheer outrageousness and Charlotte is sweet.

Vapid airheads - um yeah to some extent as the show plays on them outside the workplace letting their hair down and being friends and being stupid with it.

During the season at least (don't know about this second movie) they were all sucessful career women in their own fields, in the first movie some of that changed and they played with it. What is for me absolutely true is that you can be a successful career girl (career person in fact) and be totally different when your with your friends who just get you.

But for me the reason I really like SATC is the escapism and the sillyness and the grossness and laughing at Carey's increasingly hideous outfits. Hoping I love the second movie as much as I did the first for all the foolish sillyness... and that I still hate Carey just as much that's half the fun!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post

ETA: I suppose, though, given Carrie's equine face and parakeet-claw hands, it's no wonder she's insecure.
    Thank you Cyn - that describes them perfectly. And the actresses (??) that play them are equally as bad - at least from what I see from interviews etc. I have no desire to see SJP on any screen, how/why anyone thinks she is pretty or a good spokesperson for products I have no freaking idea. Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

And any movie whose biggest claim is to have had a 10 million dollar wardrobe budget is outlandish. I like fashion as much as the next girl, but there is no reason to have spent that much. And one of SJP's interviews on the Today show (I think it was that show) talked about how surprised they were about the success of the first movie and that they didn't have the budget to spend anything on wardrobe so it was nice to have that much this time around. The promos for the movie drove me crazy, I hope that it dies a quick death so they can stop - like immediately. All of this is why I think that my niece who claims to be broke spending $$$ on movie admission was stupid. If she spent nearly 1/5 of her food budget for the month on a ticket, I hope my sister tells her no to extra money for the month

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    All of this is why I think that my niece who claims to be broke spending $$$ on movie admission was stupid. If she spent nearly 1/5 of her food budget for the month on a ticket, I hope my sister tells her no to extra money for the month

Ahhhh... Poor kid. I'd hate for her to go hungry.

PM me an address for her. I'll send her the money for her ticket.
    Last edited by Norlite; 05-29-2010 at 12:06 PM.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    emaciated goblin shoulders!

that's the best string of three words I have heard in months
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Of course I will be seeing it (I think to do so is a city ordinance in my part of town), but the fact that they're starting to look like Dark Crystal Skeksis is freaking me out and making me feel ancient too.

vCash
    Remember, this is only my opinion; YMMV. Because she wasn't perfect, she wasn't married, she wasn't a mom, her checkbook wasn't balanced, she wasn't a great beauty. But she was witty, open-minded, adventurous, sexy, humorous, loyal, and was able to come to terms with singlehood. The show wasn't always about getting a man as a GOAL, but just as part of the journey....I liked that. The movies seem to put emphasis on getting men and settling down.

vCash
    The show wasn't always about getting a man as a GOAL, but just as part of the journey....I liked that. The movies seem to put emphasis on getting men and settling down.
    One of the best lines ever in the show was Charlotte's about the girls being each other's soulmates.

vCash
    Remember, this is only my opinion; YMMV. Because she wasn't perfect, she wasn't married, she wasn't a mom, her checkbook wasn't balanced, she wasn't a great beauty. But she was witty, open-minded, adventurous, sexy, humorous, loyal, and was able to come to terms with singlehood. The show wasn't always about getting a man as a GOAL, but just as part of the journey....I liked that. The movies seem to put emphasis on getting men and settling down.
    Carrie was not half as neurotic as other columnists in the real world. I don't mean it as an insult to writers, but most of us live in our heads. We analyze everything to death. If we are fiction writers, we analyze our characters and words until they are basically the only choice we have left. If we write non-fiction, we analyze it to the point that we feel like we really know the subject matter better than we know our own lives. Media writers have those same tendancies but on a smaller time scale.

I had an awesome screenwriting instructor who told me he could always tell when a writer had a based a character on him/herself. You look for the one who is an exageration of perfection or evil. Writers usually judge themselves in extremens.

So for Carrie to think and over-analyze is not that strange given who the character is supposed to be in the overall scheme of things. Samantha is an even more like this. Those of us in PR know that you spend all day highlighting the positive of everything. It naturally swings over into you life sometimes and you start treating yourself that way. Samantha is a fictional character so obviously the writers and actress turn that up to 10.

I did see the movie last night. It wasn't the best movie of all time. However, it was a fun movie and a nice thing to go and see with friends. If you didn't like the series or the first movie, you probably won't like this one. That's cool. It is not a movie that is going to get awards. It was good for what it is.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast