Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I can't get a good look at him at that site and the photo gallery is not working.
    If you go to this link, can you get them through one of the Photos links underneath the film title?

These are very stylized, because he's playing a 16th century Moghul, Jalaluddin Mohammad Akbar. Aishwarya Rai played his wife, Jodhaa Bai, and they were awfully pretty together.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Ok, I saw it today at the matinee on Sansom Street.

There was so much excessive vulgarity to this movie that it was to the point of distraction. It didn't help that about a dozen SATC wannabees sat in front of us - we moved they were so loud and cackling. The gay wedding sequence was atrocious - a patronizing straight person's idea of what a gay wedding should be. Liza looked and sounded dreadful. Carrie was incredibly whiny and self-centered in this - I was hoping that Big would serve her with papers this time. I've always appreciated Samantha's bawdiness, but it was overdone here, and quite sitcom-like in its vulgarity. I loved Charlotte and Miranda in this - they seemed so balanced. And I still and always will think that Kristin Davis is the hottest-looking of the quartet. Beautiful even, and I liked her clothes more than the others. Overall, the movie seemed like a bloated sitcom overall, and it took away from some of the finer moments, which usually were when it was just the four of them. Chris Noth looked great, and the Danish guy was . As for the soccer team, meh, when you've seen one firm, hard muscular body with firm buttocks, you've seem 'em all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Chris Noth looked great,.

Did you think so Rex? He is sooo perfectly my type but I didn't think so in this.

But I saw him last week on some interview on TV, and he was gorgeous again.

and the Danish guy was .

Oh God, yes!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    Did you think so Rex? He is sooo perfectly my type but I didn't think so in this.

But I saw him last week on some interview on TV, and he was gorgeous again.
    You could tell that he lost weight and tanned up for this movie, but I liked the way he looked; I'm not one of those twink-lurving gay guys; gimme a fella with some meat on his bones and a li'l bit of mileage, thank you. I used to crush on him when he was on Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

Oh God, yes!
    We got a pretty good look at his, erm, "gifts" on two occasions. .

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Saw it last night...

1. It was too long, just like the first movie.
    2. I really had no patience for Carrie--she was really acting like a spoiled brat for most of the movie. I've heard that criticism of her during run of the TV show, but this is the first time that I really agreed with it.
    3. I could do without Samantha altogether. She's just not funny.
    4. Charlotte's troubles were a bit overblown (why does she need a nanny if she doesn't work?) Miranda probably was the most put-together of all of the ladies in this movie, but she didn't have much to do.

All in all, I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    Charlotte's troubles were a bit overblown (why does she need a nanny if she doesn't work?)
    I love Charlotte, but I did a serious eyeroll when she got mad at her oldest daughter for staining her vintage skirt with that cupcake frosting. I mean, why would you wear something like that in the kitchen in the first effing place? T-shirt and jeans, duh! Especially around kids...

Someone is out to sabotage SJP, 'cause she photographed horribly in this film. Plus, she's lost too much weight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    Saw it last night...

Charlotte's troubles were a bit overblown (why does she need a nanny if she doesn't work?)
    I would need/want one, but then again I don't want children.

vCash
    As for the soccer team, meh, when you've seen one firm, hard muscular body with firm buttocks, you've seem 'em all.
    I want to live where you live, Rex

vCash
    I saw the film on Saturday, and I'm in the minority, but I thought it was MUCH BETTER than the first one. I could have killed Miranda, and Carrie twice, for going back to their men. How dare you be a strong, smart independent woman to intimidate your poor man's ego? Of course it's all your fault if he cheats or leaves you out the altar. Silly female, success is for boys.

For the second one, I thought they did a better job with Big--John! (heh heh heh)/Carrie's storyline. I could see both points of view, though I think I'd side slightly more with Big John . Going out every night IMO would get just as boring as watching TV. Going out is fun because it's every once in awhile--otherwise, it's just tedious. But I did like the role reversal--the girl stays the same (wanting to go out, continue like a single), and the guy changes (wants to stay home).

Miranda looked really bad in this movie. Charlotte looked really good and for the first time was likeable. LOVED their conversation at the bar, especially when Charlotte said she'd rather lose the husband than the nanny (though I think making her a lesbian was a total copout--just for once, I'd *really* like to see a friendly relationship between an older, straight attractive woman and a younger, straight attractive woman--THAT would be REAL progress). I did like that Miranda went back to work and decided housewivery wasn't for her. I hate, hate, hate this whole trend of stay-at-home TV moms...especially when it's implied the mom was really successful before marriage (Modern Family, Parenthood) or feel guilty about working and having kids. Good for Miranda for going back to work. And good for Carrie and Big John to say, we can be happy just the two of us.

I could even kind of get behind the Aiden/Carrie sub storyline--wanting to go back to the past is a pretty heedy thought. Most of us just never get the chance to act on it. Glad it stopped at a kiss and they both regretted it. The only thing that bothered me is Carrie really did a number on Aiden--IIRC, there was an episode where Carrie ran into him in NYC while he had a baby, and he was not happy to see her and kind of gave her a gentle telling-off. The "you're not like any other girl" didn't ring true for me. I could see Aiden being puffed up because the girl that broke his heart was interested in dinner and as a kind of cleaning the air, but romantic on his part--no. I'd rather it have been a let's be friends type thing and if when Carrie got there, Aiden was there with others and it was very casual, friendly thing, and Carrie could have realized I've-moved-on from that. I did like that Carrie's book got bad reviews and gave her a kind-of wake-up call in how she looked at marriage (though the idea of taking two days off sounded good to me. But then I'm not married. That's probably why.)

Samantha's storyline was the most problematic. I liked that all the women looked their age (except Carrie, who looked 20 years older and looks more and more like an alien mated with a foot everyday), and that Sam looked the best. But her lines were so uncomfortable, and not even because of her age, but because they were awkward. No one could have made "Lawrence of My Labia" work. I did like the thing with Miley Cyrus and Tim Gunn. I liked that she wasn't turned on by the hawt, mindless soccer hooligans--it was the older businessman who got her going.

I LOVED (which I think most people hated) that Samantha showed the hypocrisy of the "new" Middle East--I wish MORE movies would take shots at that, not just "girl" movies about clothes. Yes, she was disrespectful, but damnit--that hotel wanted her to show off the new UAE for the American elite and then had the nerve to arrest her? Whatever. Good for the SATC crew for showing that. LOVED the condom scene too. Back off men, sexually active women at large! Bwahahahahaha. And I know some have taken issue with how the Middle Eastern women were portrayed, but I've read the opposite--that women in the upper echelons of power and wealth DO in fact wear the latest fashion under the burkha and niquab, and let's be honest--if you see other women all day, you gotta look good. And I liked the subtle rebellion implied in that scene. And I especially loved when Miranda said that men at home aren't so different. No wonder male reviewers didn't like it.

The only thing I really hated was the wedding. It was all kinds of wrong, to the couple, to Liza Minelli (liked the idea; reality--not so much. Though there were some older African American women in the audience who were right there with Liza--one of them said, you show that ho Beyonce, Liza! ). The scene with Carrie and Anthony didn't play right. It was just awkward and forced...much like the wedding scene. I don't even know why any of it was needed except as a roundabout way of saying hey, Big John and Carrie won't be having kids! Which we already knew.

Overall, big ups from me. I think another director with a different cast of better actresses could take some elements of this movie and turn it into a more serious, Oscar-buzz type one.
    Last edited by Matryeshka; 06-07-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Grammar
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I want to live where you live, Rex
    LOL, it's in my head....

Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Though there were some older African American women in the audience who were right there with Liza--one of them said, you show that ho Beyonce, Liza! ).
    You'd be surprised at how much dislike of Beyonce there is in the black community.

vCash
    You'd be surprised at how much dislike of Beyonce there is in the black community.
    Really? Based on what?

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Wheeee! Finally got around to seeing the film now that things have quietened down and the World Cup is in full swing. I thought it was much better that the first film even though the nanny's Irish accent was atrocious (I think the whole cinema heckled when she spoke) and Carrie was a huge pain in the arse. And I'm still not buying Stanford and Anthony as a couple.

Overall, it just confirmed my notion that you either get what Sex and the City is about or you're a grumpy threatened male film critic.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I love Charlotte, but I did a serious eyeroll when she got mad at her oldest daughter for staining her vintage skirt with that cupcake frosting. I mean, why would you wear something like that in the kitchen in the first effing place? T-shirt and jeans, duh! Especially around kids...
    I make a special trip home before picking up Mini Ice from preschool to change out of my work clothes into a T-shirt and jeans for that reason. Usually he leaves school with armloads of messy art projects and very grubby little hands.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Overall, it just confirmed my notion that you either get what Sex and the City is about or you're a grumpy threatened male film critic.
    Does that include the bevy of female critics that didn't like it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I make a special trip home before picking up Mini Ice from preschool to change out of my work clothes into a T-shirt and jeans for that reason. Usually he leaves school with armloads of messy art projects and very grubby little hands.
    D-uh! Real life, thank you!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    Does that include the bevy of female critics that didn't like it?
    Yes. Anybody who has had a fun-lobotomy is included.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Wheeee! Finally got around to seeing the film now that things have quietened down and the World Cup is in full swing. I thought it was much better that the first film even though the nanny's Irish accent was atrocious (I think the whole cinema heckled when she spoke) and Carrie was a huge pain in the arse. And I'm still not buying Stanford and Anthony as a couple.

yep, that's pretty much how I felt as well.

I just enjoyed it, but agree that Carrie was annoying. I liked her character ok on the shows, but I usually watched for the guys and the other gals on the show. Carrie wasn't the draw.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    I just enjoyed it, but agree that Carrie was annoying. I liked her character ok on the shows, but I usually watched for the guys and the other gals on the show. Carrie wasn't the draw.
    ITA. I've never seen why any man would be attracted to Carrie - she was whiny, narcissistic, selfish and never ever did anything for anyone, never mind about the horrid clothes... In the film it was even worse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    ITA. I've never seen why any man would be attracted to Carrie - she was whiny, narcissistic, selfish and never ever did anything for anyone, never mind about the horrid clothes... In the film it was even worse.
    I always wondered why any woman would give Big the time of day, but by the end of the series, I came to the conclusion that he and Carrie deserved one another. After the first movie, I actually found myself sympathizing with Big's character, and that sympathy tripled after the second one. Run away, John! Run away!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789