Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Ok, I'm arthritic and I've always felt grains were bad for me. No rational reason, they're just one of those foods that my system does not appear to like. Now I know why.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I am of the view that you do not count physical labour (vacuuming) as exercise unless you are doing those activities for the specific purpose of exercising (and who does that with vacuuming?). I vacuumed tonight for tomorrow's FSU gala--I did not count that as my daily exercise. I still went on the treadmill while watching the Food Network.

It is important to maintain a specific exercise regimen not only for the physical benefits, but for the mental aspects--it forces you to focus on your health and wellbeing. Climbing stairs instead of taking the elevator is a nice extra thing to do on top of your exercise regimen--unless your exercise activity of the day involves climbing stories of stairs or something. .
    Which is sorta of okay from a psychology standpoint, but has nothing to do with whether or not the activities burn calories or build muscle, which is ultimately all that matters. Ignoring any heavy physical activity that isn't structured exercise and doing the structured exercise on top of it not only teaches you to treat exercise as a chore in and of itself, it's also an invitation to hurting yourself if what you did already put a lot of stress on yourself. I'm not doing weights after mowing today--I have a half-acre lot and a push mower. I actually have to hydrate/add electrolytes after mowing like after riding on a hot day. It's heavy work (the sort of thing people used to do on a routine basis that meant they did not have to have gym memberships and fitness videos.) Pushing a heavy upright around a two-story house is work. Climbing lots of stairs is work. Your body doesn't know the difference between it and a TreadClimber.

If you climbed five flights of stairs and can feel it, you're not helping yourself by hitting the treadmill anyway. For people who don't like exercise, that just confirms that it's a painful chore that makes you hurt and can't be integrated into your daily routine but has to be an added expense in money and time. Not a great way to get low-activity people moving.

vCash
    Ajax ~~ Thanks so much for the link. Very helpful. I try to stay away from grains but I do have oatmeal for breakfast often - time to look for a substitute. I also grew on rice - which is hard to kick but I'm trying.

I do have on demand and will look into pilates. Thanks again.

vCash
    Congrats on your successes so far. You're doing a great job. BTW - the experts say that if you lose it slowly and steady that you are more likely to keep it off.

Like you, I made a conscious decision to get myself healthy and in shape about 18 months ago. Still a work in process, but the improvements feel great. One thing that I haven't seen anyone else suggest is one of the guidelines that my personal trainer gave me. The minimum amount of cardio-exercise that you should get each week is 150 minutes. It can be in any combination, but you must do it in at least 10 minutes increments. You can do 30 minutes a day for 5 days, but you have to do at least 10 minutes at a time to count against the 150 minute total.

vCash
    millyskate and iamawake2, I am glad if the link was helpful in any way I myself have been on a grain-free eating regimen for the past six weeks. Not because I have any joint pain, simply for weight loss (and it works like a charm!). I first came across the idea on a website called Mark's Daily Apple. If you struggle with joint pain I suggest poking around that website's archives and also in the forums. Many, many people who eat this way seem to have resolved their issues through the diet change.

Avid Lurker, sorry to hijack your thread

vCash
    Yay! It seems you've carved out a healthy lifestyle. Keep up the good work!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123