vCash

Question Music of Petrova and Tikhonov

Hi everyone !
    Can anyone help me to find the title of the music used by Petrova and Tikhonov for their 2000/2001 Exhibition ?

The bio says "Jewish dance", but I don't know which one.

They skated to it at 2000 Sparkassen Cup, 2000 Grand-Prix Final and many more competitions.
    I can't find any link to youtube.

So, any idea ?
    Thank you very much

vCash
    I saw Petrova & Tikhonov at Skate Canada in 2000 , and IIRC ,their exhibition program was "Dance Me to the End of Love " by Leonard Cohen Which, if I do remember right would be the only Jewish connection...but the arrangement does have a bit of an Eastern Euro flavour. ( A lot of Jewish music does. )

Maybe I'm wrong...maybe that was the next year...but try this ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_PIadFsvDk

sorry, its only the music.

I took it to be a subtle tip of the hat to the 2001 World's host country, since Leonard Cohen is Canadian.
    Last edited by Pratfall; 05-28-2010 at 03:22 AM. Reason: adding on

vCash
    As soon as I saw the thread title, my guess was Four Seasons. (Didn't they skate to that for about seven seasons? )

vCash
    I was so fond of P/T but so wanted them to get better choreography ( or better FP's ) as they went on. I'm trying to remember..didn't they keep 4 Seas. for the first 2 yrs...and then come back to it a third time when some other program wasn't well recieved ?

Anyway, I'm now very sure that the Exhibition in question was the Leonard Cohen number . It was charming and my favourite Ex. of theirs.
    Edit. Thinking about it, part of the charm may have been that they had such a sweet, wholesome presence on the ice..yet some of Cohen's lyrics positively smoulder..

Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin
    Dance me through the panic 'til I'm gathered safely in
    Touch me with your naked hand, touch me with your glove
    And dance me to the end of love.

Wow.Leonard.
    Last edited by Pratfall; 05-28-2010 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Adding on

vCash
    I remember them to skate to a Jewish song in the Euros in Bratislava 2001, it was very sad, and the lyrics went like "Vai vai vai". IIRC it was a male singer with a strong voice, and they had dark green costumes. I tried to google, but without any luck.

vCash
    Hmmm. Did you listen to that song chorus ?... Lai, lai...lai,lai...lai,lai..lai,lai ..
    and it is melancholy. Cohen has a commanding, low voice. Listen again...

I couldn't find a YouTube link to their skate either.I know it was on Canadian TV. Maybe we'll have to put out a plea for someone to upload it.

Here's a later Cohen version ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki9xc...eature=related
    Last edited by Pratfall; 05-28-2010 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Adding on

vCash
    Someone posted the Jewish thing to the fsvids site an two days ago.

vCash
    [QUOTE=snowbird;2773860]Someone posted the Jewish thing to the fsvids site an two days ago.[/QUOTE

Please excuse the typo. IIRC Tikhonov says a few things about the song in the SkateCanada coverage. I
    have a couple of copies somewhere in the house because I made a few P/T compilations for people. I don't have the capability to upload to YouTube, though. Actually the music sounds to me like some cantor singing but I don't know anything about Jewish music so that's a wild guess. You can judge for yourself when you go to fsvids.

vCash
    The song I remember is definetly not Cohen´s Dance me to the end of love. It is completely different song.

vCash
    Oh well, then I'm stumped..they must have dropped it for Worlds'. Most of my tapes didn't survive my big move a couple of years ago. I attended both Skate Canada and World's that season and clearly remembered that piece, and seeing it in person..however, at Skate Canada, there were delays and we had to miss a bit of the Gala , or miss our trip home , so I might have only seen it once, live...I hadn't seen them previous to this..so , I don't know..

( And apparently , I've missed something good...Dang! )
    Last edited by Pratfall; 05-28-2010 at 07:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    Oh well, then I'm stumped..they must have dropped it for Worlds'. Most of my tapes didn't survive my big move a couple of years ago. I attended both Skate Canada and World's that season and clearly remembered that piece, and seeing it in person..however, at Skate Canada, there were delays and we had to miss a bit of the Gala , or miss our trip home , so I might have only seen it once, live...I hadn't seen them previous to this..so , I don't know..

( And apparently , I've missed something good...Dang! )
    IMHO it was the worst thing they ever did. The costumes were nice, though.

vCash
    /\ You mean the Jewish thing , or the Cohen ?

I'm getting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    The song I remember is definetly not Cohen´s Dance me to the end of love. It is completely different song.
    You are right they use "Dance me to the end of love" as EX in 1998-1999 and 1999-2000 but this is from 2000-2001 season and according to their site the name is Jewish prayer,choreographer was Sergey Petukhov .

http://petrova-tikhonov.ru/program/index.php?god=2000
    ПОКАЗАТЕЛЬНЫЕ ВЫСТУПЛЕНИЯ
    «Еврейская молитва»
    Постановка: Сергей Петухов
    Алексей: «Еврейскую молитву» нам тоже ставил Сергей Георгиевич Петухов. Я считаю эту программу одним из наших лучших показательных номеров: он был задуман как история, со смыслом. Номер начинался как молитва перед Стеной Плача. Мы обращались к Богу с молитвой о нас и наших близких. Тема для нас была непростая, но Людмила Великова обожала эту программу. Мы только ради нее даже готовы были ее катать. Хотя, несмотря на то что программа была грустной, зрителям она тоже очень нравилась.

"Jewish Prayer"
    Director: Sergei Petukhov
    Alexey: "the Jewish prayer" was also made by Sergei G. Petukhov. I consider this program one of our best EX programs: it was conceived as a story with meaning. It starts as a prayer before the Wall of Cry. We have appealed to God in prayer for us and our loved ones. The theme was not easy for us, but Lyudmila Velikova loved this program. We would've skated just for her, . Although, despite the fact that the program was sad, the audience really liked it, too.
    Demonstrations

This is the closest version i found on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suAwiZ0y4Pk
    Last edited by vivika1982; 05-28-2010 at 10:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    /\ You mean the Jewish thing , or the Cohen ?

I'm getting
    The Jewish thing. I loved the Cohen thing.

vCash
    To Cohen..and I guess I don't feel too bad about the other..obviously, I had my Skate Canada's mixed up...and I'm still grieving over the loss of my tapes. Thank God for YouTube

vCash
    The program, as skated at the GP Final in Tokyo, is at www.fsvids.net under the pairs category.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vivika1982 View Post
    You are right they use "Dance me to the end of love" as EX in 1998-1999 and 1999-2000 but this is from 2000-2001 season and according to their site the name is Jewish prayer,choreographer was Sergey Petukhov .

http://petrova-tikhonov.ru/program/index.php?god=2000

Demonstrations

This is the closest version i found on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suAwiZ0y4Pk
    Thanks a lot, Vivika. You are right, it's very close to the version you posted. And it's definitely not Cohen.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    The program, as skated at the GP Final in Tokyo, is at www.fsvids.net under the pairs category.
    Yes, posted few days ago. That's why I got interested in this, because this is the first time I see it !