Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    ^^ I don't find those quotes conceited at all, she was the only US lady to qualify for the GPF and that obviously shows she is a good competitor. You also have to remember that at the time of the GPF:
    - Caroline had just had an epic meltdown at SC and seemed basically out of the picture entirely
    - Mirai was still battling her UR demons and hadn't convinced anyone the real Mirai was back yet
    - Alissa was doing her usual 1-2 falls, 2-3 UR LPs, so wasn't really a threat to Ashley unless she did a killer SP at nationals
    - Rachael, though she outscored Ashley, had not skated great at CoC and had a great FS at SA, but fell in her SP there. She wasn't as consistent as usual
    - Sasha had yet to compete, and many were skeptical she would compete at nationals

Going into nationals, I would say Ashley WAS one of the favorites to make the team, Rachael being the other but Ashley had had a better GP season than Rachael and so could maybe have been considered the biggest favorite. Mirai was definitely the underdog that surprised everyone, Caroline most people thought didn't even have a chance, and most predicted the pressure would kill Alissa at nationals.

It's fine she said those things, because in all honesty she probably thought she was going to Vancouver, I thought she was going to go, I wanted Mirai to go more but I didn't think it would happen. In the end Ashley just missed out and Christina, Amanda, Bebe, Alexe, and Emily were all closer to going than Alissa and Caroline.

vCash
    ^ Wagner was a co-favorite along with the Usual Suspects. But she was really competing against herself, against her strong desire to go to the Olympics. The key was not to get ahead of herself in the SP, and although it was an improvement from last year, she still rushed one of her key jumps.

I'd mostly agree with Nagasu being an underdog, probably more so than Wagner and Flatt (how many posters were crowing that that would be our team?) but I remember saying that Nagasu could be a potential spoiler if she puts everything together. And spoiler she was. I remember wanting Wagner to go, but if she didn't I was definitely fine with Nagasu. She was my 2nd choice.

In the end Ashley just missed out and Christina, Amanda, Bebe, Alexe, and Emily were all closer to going than Alissa and Caroline.
    Well, there's no "close" about this...you either go or you don't go. It hurts regardless of whether you're 3rd or 10th

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    ^ Wagner was a co-favorite along with the Usual Suspects. But she was really competing against herself, against her strong desire to go to the Olympics. The key was not to get ahead of herself in the SP, and although it was an improvement from last year, she still rushed one of her key jumps.

I'd mostly agree with Nagasu being an underdog, probably more so than Wagner and Flatt (how many posters were crowing that that would be our team?) but I remember saying that Nagasu could be a potential spoiler if she puts everything together. And spoiler she was. I remember wanting Wagner to go, but if she didn't I was definitely fine with Nagasu. She was my 2nd choice.

Well, there's no "close" about this...you either go or you don't go. It hurts regardless of whether you're 3rd or 10th
    Still, Ashley, Sasha, and Christina were at least alternates for the team, the same can not be said for Alissa and Caroline. In some ways it probably hurts more to be in Ashley's position because she was so close to going, and the other girls weren't. 4 points, she lost 4 points on the fall in the SP. It makes me wonder though, if Ashley hadn't fallen in the SP, would Mirai have gotten all 3 triples downgraded, as far as I could tell, only the final 3t looked UR.

And you're right about Mirai. Though she was much better this GP season than she was last season, she was still a question mark. I thought she had a better shot than Czisny or Zhang all along, but Flatt, Wagner, Cohen I all thought had a better shot than she did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    4 points, she lost 4 points on the fall in the SP. It makes me wonder though, if Ashley hadn't fallen in the SP, would Mirai have gotten all 3 triples downgraded, as far as I could tell, only the final 3t looked UR.
    I am pretty sure if Ashley had remained in title contention after the sp and the top had skated the same way they did in the lp, she and Mirai would have gotten huge scores and the nod for Vancouver. Mirai wouldn't have gotten downgrades and Flatt wouldn't have gotten half the GOEs she got.

vCash
    ^ That's a good point ... But somehow I think it would have been Flatt and Wagner going, and Nagasu would STILL have been DG on those jumps, which would ultimately have cost her an Oly spot. (Ugh)

I'm happy it played out the way it did, though. It would have been that much more heartbreaking if THREE skaters skated lights out in BOTH the SP and FS and one of them had to stay home. At least in Wagner's case it was the SP and that might further motivate her this season. And for Zhang and Czisny, who had trouble in BOTH segments of the competition, maybe a chance to prove that it was a fluke. Maybe more so for Zhang though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I am pretty sure if Ashley had remained in title contention after the sp and the top had skated the same way they did in the lp, she and Mirai would have gotten huge scores and the nod for Vancouver. Mirai wouldn't have gotten downgrades and Flatt wouldn't have gotten half the GOEs she got.
    That would have been cool, but realistically the team that went was most likely to get the highest results. Mirai could have potentially finished 12th or something, but I think most people thought there was a possibility she would place really well, and she did. Wagner could have done really well too, but I don't think she would have been ahead of Ando or Lepisto given the way those two skated. Rachael also definitely deserved to go, it's just too bad there weren't 3 spots, it would be interesting to have seen where Ashley placed, likely it would have been below her teammates but likely still good, top 10.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345