Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 86
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Turzynbaeva is the new Gedevanishvili
    Posts
    8,468
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Indra486 View Post
    Is that permanent or has her heart palpitations been taken care of?
    Palpitations are most often a sign of stress and/or insufficient nutrition, nothing debilitating by any means.

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,650
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Palpitations are most often a sign of stress and/or insufficient nutrition, nothing debilitating by any means.
    Oh okay. Thanks!

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,980
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    That makes a lot of sense. Though the USFSA will certainly not like it ...... nor any other federation. It means that superstars no longer have to show up to their own national championships.
    That's not true in practice, though. Most superstars show up for their nationals even when their spot is never on the line (Lambiel, Plushenko, Verner). And Japanese federation already takes GPF in their selection procedures and I don't see a shortage of superstars at their Nationals.

    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    . The way that discussion sounded to me was that nationals has long been a big deal not just to USFS but also to the athletes who want their shot on the world or Oly team (not to be taken away by a GPF medalist), and the athletes who represented the other skaters at USFS also want it that way. What you want to change is never going to change, unless people directly involved --not fans--want them.
    Their shot not to be taken away by a GPF medalist? When I hear sentiment like this I want to roll my eyes. People feeling this way should go out there and medal at the GPF themselves if they think it's that easy. It's not like GPF medals are given out randomly: GPF is the end of a grueling GP circuit, and it takes consistency and being very well trained early in the season to make the GPF and then medal there.
    I seem to remember that Inoue/Baldwin, despite not making the team, agreed publicly that nationals should be the deciding factor.
    Lord knows, had they said anything other than this they would be crucified by the fans and the press and labeled whiners...

    As for people saying they know what all the athletes want? Unless I see a scientific poll conducted and results published, all this is speculation at best.

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    Posts
    1,635
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I would LOVE to see Ashley win Nats finally. She is the most enjoyable to watch out of the top three. Rachael was lucky to be gifted the title last year with her inflated scores, but I doubt it will happen again, with her slouchy posture, unflattering outfits and everything else cringeworthy. I look at Ashley like a lesser version of Sasha - she has it all, if she could just land her jumps. Her spins are amazing and fast. Ashley's downfall is her big mouth - she's jinxing herself.

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,920
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    No, Wagner's downfall is the SHORT PROGRAM

    JMO of course...but I agree, it's been musical chairs with the US title the past few years and it's Wagner's turn to sit in that chair...of course, she just needs to put it all together and not want it TOO bad, lest she get ahead of herself and make silly mistakes...Won't be shocked to see Nagasu get it again though (which I also don't mind).

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,236
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11522
    Ashley's mouth is no great help, but I agree her downfall is the short program. She needs to deliver consistent shorts, not just pull up from the depths in the long program. That is the most important improvement needed.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    24
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Ashley will never win nationals because she doesn't deserve to due to her work ethic. The article of her planning to work so hard this year is quite funny due to the fact that the Olympic year was her year to work hard and she didn't because she thought she was a "shoe in" for the Olympic team-ha! It's ok because she is not a very nice girl that we want young skaters looking up to.

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,618
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    She didn't work hard? So you had a front-row seat to all her practices? And you personally witnessed that she made her way to the GPF by sitting on the couch watching soaps?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,177
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    No, Wagner's downfall is the SHORT PROGRAM

    JMO of course...but I agree, it's been musical chairs with the US title the past few years and it's Wagner's turn to sit in that chair...of course, she just needs to put it all together and not want it TOO bad, lest she get ahead of herself and make silly mistakes...Won't be shocked to see Nagasu get it again though (which I also don't mind).
    I think USFS's strategy would be to heavily promote and politik for Mirai and one more girl in this quad.

    Ashley is obviously most primed for the other spot and she has shown time and again that she is a very strong lp skater. She just needs clean sps.

    She was clean and had the most difficult programs in 2008 yet still lost to Mirai and Flatt. Her time was 2009 but she just blew the sp. USFS was ready to give her one more shot in 2010 given her strong GP season but she blew the sp again. Not being able to go clean in the sp cost her the US title in 2009 (and the trip to 2009 Worlds) but more importantly it cost her a trip to the Olympics!

    At this stage, I think whether Ashley can finally grab the US title will hugely depend on Mirai's consistency. Gao I don't think is quite soup yet but then you never know. Barring disasters I don't see the National title going to anyone other than these three in the coming 2 to 3 seasons.

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,004
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaikai View Post
    Ashley will never win nationals because she doesn't deserve to due to her work ethic. The article of her planning to work so hard this year is quite funny due to the fact that the Olympic year was her year to work hard and she didn't because she thought she was a "shoe in" for the Olympic team-ha! It's ok because she is not a very nice girl that we want young skaters looking up to.
    Why do you have so many nice things to say about Ashley?
    Did she kick your dog or something? lol

    I thought Ashley looked leaner and stronger than ever before this season.
    Not all the girls make to the GPF and deliver respectable 4th place finish.
    I hope she fixes her jump issues and comeback stronger next season.

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Ashley needs to stop rushing her jumps. Heresy, I know, but I won't be surprised if Nagasu is the one who fails to make the team this year.

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Ashley needs to stop rushing her jumps. Heresy, I know, but I won't be surprised if Nagasu is the one who fails to make the team this year.
    Never! I actually think Nagasu and Gao will go to Worlds, Flatt's too slow and bland and Ashley has a lot to work on to catch Mirai. Gao is cute with great jumps and I think she'll surprise us this season, make a big splash sort of a la Yuna Kim 2006-2007. Czisny and Zhang at this point I see as almost a non-factor, but you never know with those two, especially Czisny, if she manages to skate a clean competition, her scores will be up their with the other top US ladies.

  13. #53
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,188
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43796
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I think it's more accurate to say that some fans put out the "big talk" more than USFS ever did.
    But if they had to say that other international events would factor into the selection for the Olympic team in order not to split the profits with the IOC, and they didn't take them into due consideration, couldn't the IOC sue them for profits?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,920
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaikai View Post
    Ashley will never win nationals because she doesn't deserve to due to her work ethic. The article of her planning to work so hard this year is quite funny due to the fact that the Olympic year was her year to work hard and she didn't because she thought she was a "shoe in" for the Olympic team-ha! It's ok because she is not a very nice girl that we want young skaters looking up to.
    Of all the skaters you could criticize for work ethic...you picked Wagner?

    Anyway, she has now let it known that she has big plans for next season. I thought it was clear last year that she made a serious effort- but in a year with only two Oly spots it wasn't enough (and if Nagasu messed up, it very well might have been). I expect no less from her this year, but anything can happen- injuries (knock on wood), bad days, etc. She has had consistent LPs...once she gets the SP under control she'll have just as good a shot as anybody.

    And as for Nagasu- she just needs to shake off what happened at worlds and she'll be ok. Easier said than done, of course.

  15. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I think USFS's strategy would be to heavily promote and politik for Mirai and one more girl in this quad.

    Ashley is obviously most primed for the other spot and she has shown time and again that she is a very strong lp skater. She just needs clean sps.
    If I was cynical, I would say the USFSA doesn't have to promote or politik anybody. They just tweek the PCS and they can make anybody win. Besides, I think they learned their lesson with Alissa last year. All they can do is let the skaters skate. Trying to decide the National winners ahead of time just doesn't work.

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Olympics withdrawal/exhastion
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,113
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm not really seeing how Ashley's big mouth cost her an Olympic spot. When I heard her speaking about the Olympics in interviews, she seemed determined but also understood that she had a lot of competition. Not to make excuses, but I think part of her problem might have been that a lot of figure skating fans and bloggers said that she was the best bet for the team. She let the pressure and desire to skate at the Olympics get to her.

  17. #57

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,583
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    But if they had to say that other international events would factor into the selection for the Olympic team in order not to split the profits with the IOC, and they didn't take them into due consideration, couldn't the IOC sue them for profits?
    It's the USOC, not the IOC, that signed off on the USFS' 2010 Olympic selection guidelines ahead of time. Of course we the fans have no way of knowing for certain if and/or how (to what degree) "other international events" may have factored into the selection process, but there was a USOC representative that sat in on all the Olympic team selection meetings as an observer.

  18. #58
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,188
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43796
    Thank you!
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I would have to guess that if Ashley had made the podium at the GPF, she would have been spotted the 4 points she needed to make the team.

    But I will never know.

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,920
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    I'm not really seeing how Ashley's big mouth cost her an Olympic spot. When I heard her speaking about the Olympics in interviews, she seemed determined but also understood that she had a lot of competition. Not to make excuses, but I think part of her problem might have been that a lot of figure skating fans and bloggers said that she was the best bet for the team. She let the pressure and desire to skate at the Olympics get to her.
    I agree with this. In addition I'd put "big mouth" in quotations because I don't necessarily think she has one.

    Of course there'd be more pressure on Wagner since she was the only American lady to qualify for the GPF while Nagasu and Flatt (our two eventual Olympians) basically crashed and burned. And- I say this over and over again but I thought Wagner actually did quite well considering the circumstances. If Nagasu had another mistake, Wagner would have gone to Vancouver WITH THE SAME PERFORMANCES. And had we three spots, ditto. I think she did the best she could. It's just too bad that the fall ended up costing her because the other two skaters nailed it when it counted most. So now we sit here saying things like "her 'big mouth' cost her the Oly spot" when the real culprit was her tendency to flub the SP. That has never really changed over the years. But at this Nationals, there was simply NO room for error. If you messed up the SP, you were out of it. Nagasu, Flatt, and Cohen were the ones in the driver's seat and more likely than not it would be two of those three, unless more than one messed up big in the FS.

    EDIT

    PB: IMO, regardless of what Wagner did before Nationals, the two that deserved the Oly ticket were Nagasu and Flatt. They skated their hearts out when the pressure was on, they earned it, they deserved it. Wagner did well for herself but ultimately it's about the two best skaters, and that fall cost her dearly.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •