^^ I don't find those quotes conceited at all, she was the only US lady to qualify for the GPF and that obviously shows she is a good competitor. You also have to remember that at the time of the GPF:
- Caroline had just had an epic meltdown at SC and seemed basically out of the picture entirely
- Mirai was still battling her UR demons and hadn't convinced anyone the real Mirai was back yet
- Alissa was doing her usual 1-2 falls, 2-3 UR LPs, so wasn't really a threat to Ashley unless she did a killer SP at nationals
- Rachael, though she outscored Ashley, had not skated great at CoC and had a great FS at SA, but fell in her SP there. She wasn't as consistent as usual
- Sasha had yet to compete, and many were skeptical she would compete at nationals
Going into nationals, I would say Ashley WAS one of the favorites to make the team, Rachael being the other but Ashley had had a better GP season than Rachael and so could maybe have been considered the biggest favorite. Mirai was definitely the underdog that surprised everyone, Caroline most people thought didn't even have a chance, and most predicted the pressure would kill Alissa at nationals.
It's fine she said those things, because in all honesty she probably thought she was going to Vancouver, I thought she was going to go, I wanted Mirai to go more but I didn't think it would happen. In the end Ashley just missed out and Christina, Amanda, Bebe, Alexe, and Emily were all closer to going than Alissa and Caroline.