Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Calgary Stampede Ice Show

Does anyone know more about this? I just heard about it today. Virtue & Moir have Stampede as one of their scheduled events: http://www.virtuemoir.com/events.php.

From the press release (link):

“It’s what you get when you mix world-class figure skating, a modern rock concert, a camera crew and huge video screens, acrobats suspended from the ceiling and an abundance of lights and lasers in one show...”

vCash
    I think it was just announced today along with the rest of the Stampede events. It sounds like it could really awful and cheesy, Virtue and Moir notwithstanding. I hope at least it isn't in a venue that smells like manure and corndogs, like the rest of the Stampede

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I think it was just announced today along with the rest of the Stampede events. It sounds like it could really awful and cheesy, Virtue and Moir notwithstanding. I hope at least it isn't in a venue that smells like manure and corndogs, like the rest of the Stampede
    Yeah, the info was just released today. It's going to be in the Stampede Corral, which normally has other events going on, like sheep shearing and Super Dogs. It's on the grounds, so there's no escaping any smells. It comes with the territory.

I love skating and I love Stampede, but my initial reaction to this was that it's going to make me want to commit suicide.

In Search of a Lost Chord
    The big space where the rest of your childhood forgets as a dream and the harshness of life dims the peaches and cream.
    vCash
    I want to know how they get figure skates on the horses?
    Happiness is being married to your best friend!

vCash
    I hope at least it isn't in a venue that smells like manure and corndogs, like the rest of the Stampede
    Poor Tessa's gonna be a little out of her element!

vCash
    It's good publicity for figure skating in Canada, if it's done well. The demographic of people who attend the Stampede is probably a little different than the demographic for people who normally attend figure skating events, so it could widen the audience for figure skating a bit.

vCash
    I read this and I was...what? At the Stampede? Hmm. Not sure what to make of it. But I will check it out. (I live here, after all).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    It's good publicity for figure skating in Canada, if it's done well. The demographic of people who attend the Stampede is probably a little different than the demographic for people who normally attend figure skating events, so it could widen the audience for figure skating a bit.
    I most definitely agree with you on this.

Figure skating needs a different mind-set (along with changes in the aesthethic of figure skating) if it wants the infusion of younger demographic and new fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luna_skater View Post
    Yeah, the info was just released today. It's going to be in the Stampede Corral, which normally has other events going on, like sheep shearing and Super Dogs. It's on the grounds, so there's no escaping any smells. It comes with the territory.
    Never having been to the Stampede or the Stampede Corral, could they set up an ice rink (and good ice) and have sheep shearing and Super Dogs (whatever that is) going on right next to it?

The whole thing sounds crazy -- figure skating, laser show, aerial acrobatics, and now sheep shearing all in one place? I'd think I was on an acid trip....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by key65man View Post
    Figure skating needs a different mind-set (along with changes in the aesthethic of figure skating) if it wants the infusion of younger demographic and new fans.
    But I am not sure that competing with corn dogs and sheep shearing on the Stampede Midway is the way to achieve this.....

vCash
    What kind of name is Stampede for an Ice Show? My mind can't process the idea

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    Never having been to the Stampede or the Stampede Corral, could they set up an ice rink (and good ice) and have sheep shearing and Super Dogs (whatever that is) going on right next to it?

The whole thing sounds crazy -- figure skating, laser show, aerial acrobatics, and now sheep shearing all in one place? I'd think I was on an acid trip....
    The Corral is an old hockey arena close to the Saddledome & one of many buildings on the Stampede grounds. It seats about 7000, and was the practice arena for Worlds 4 years ago. I've been to skating shows there - and formal receptions afterward - I'm sure it will work just fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The Corral is an old hockey arena close to the Saddledome & one of many buildings on the Stampede grounds. It seats about 7000, and was the practice arena for Worlds 4 years ago. I've been to skating shows there - and formal receptions afterward - I'm sure it will work just fine.
    That makes more sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    What kind of name is Stampede for an Ice Show? My mind can't process the idea
    The Calgary Stampede is an annual event here.

http://cs.calgarystampede.com/

vCash
    But I am not sure that competing with corn dogs and sheep shearing on the Stampede Midway is the way to achieve this.....
    Granted, I don't know the venue well. From what I read in the article, the ice show is tailored for the event and the folks. At least, it is worth a try IMO.

A stunning new Rock ‘n Roll Ice Show for the Stampede Corral will feature some of the world’s best figure skaters, live music and amazing production. This event has been created specifically for the Stampede, never before seen anywhere else in the world. “It’s what you get when you mix world-class figure skating, a modern rock concert, a camera crew and huge video screens, acrobats suspended from the ceiling and an abundance of lights and lasers in one show,” says Laurendeau.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missflick View Post
    The Calgary Stampede is an annual event here.

http://cs.calgarystampede.com/
    Well, thanks... that even makes my point stronger, no?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    Well, thanks... that even makes my point stronger, no?
    Not really. It's one of many events that are being held in conjunction with the Calgary Stampede - why wouldn't they call it that?

vCash
    An ice show at the Calgary Stampede??

Last time I went to CS horse feces were a common sight (or smell), even in the public washrooms. How will they all survive?

vCash
    Sorry, I can't see any connection with an ice show and horse races or buffalo riding...maybe I'm just too classic

vCash
    I guess SC is getting ready for their move to Calgary....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast