Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

2009 top-earning Idols + most successful alum

Because this year's F2 isn't giving us much to talk about.

From Forbes:

10. Kris Allen - 1.7m
    9. Clay Aiken - 2m
    8. David Archuleta - 2.2m
    7. David Cook - 2.8m
    6. Jennifer Hudson - 3.5m
    5. Jordin Sparks - 3.7m
    4. Kellie Pickler 7.6m
    3. Daughtry - 10.2m
    2. Kelly Clarkson - 11.7m
    1. Carrie Underwood - 13m

Also, Billboard released a list of the 24 most successful Idols, from a ranking system that combined radio airplay, album sales, and single sales.

24. Allison Iraheta
    23. Diana DeGarmo
    22. Danny Gokey
    21. William Hung
    20. Kimberley Locke
    19. Taylor Hicks
    18. Blake Lewis
    17. Bo Bice
    16. Katharine McPhee
    15. Elliot Yamin
    14. Josh Gracin
    13. Jennifer Hudson
    12. Adam Lambert
    11. Kris Allen
    10. Ruben Studdard
    9. Fantasia Barrino
    8. David Archuleta
    7. Kellie Pickler
    6. Clay Aiken
    5. David Cook
    4. Jordin Sparks
    3. Chris Daughtry
    2. Carrie Underwood
    1. Kelly Clarkson

Obviously, these can be debated to death by fans, but I just thought both lists were interesting to look at.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixflamezzz View Post
    Because this year's F2 isn't giving us much to talk about.

Also, Billboard released a list of the 24 most successful Idols, from a ranking system that combined radio airplay, album sales, and single sales.

24. Allison Iraheta
    23. Diana DeGarmo
    22. Danny Gokey
    21. William Hung
    20. Kimberley Locke
    19. Taylor Hicks
    18. Blake Lewis
    17. Bo Bice
    16. Katharine McPhee
    15. Elliot Yamin
    14. Josh Gracin
    13. Jennifer Hudson
    12. Adam Lambert
    11. Kris Allen
    10. Ruben Studdard
    9. Fantasia Barrino
    8. David Archuleta
    7. Kellie Pickler
    6. Clay Aiken
    5. David Cook
    4. Jordin Sparks
    3. Chris Daughtry
    2. Carrie Underwood
    1. Kelly Clarkson
    William Hung ahead of Gokey, Iraheta, but especially ahead of Diana Degarmo? She's had a decent career for several years now. Wow. And Elliott Yamin after all those people? He's had a few CDs out, also a few hits that were played on the radio, etc.

vCash
    I can't understand Jordan Spark's position on either list. I have never heard her on the radio...I thought all her CDs bombed.

Re Elliott, he is ahead of people like Bo Bice & Katherine McFee so he is having a decent career. It is Allison Iraheta that really surprises me..I thought she was doing better than this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I can't understand Jordan Spark's position on either list. I have never heard her on the radio...I thought all her CDs bombed.
    What? Tattoo, No Air, One Step at A Time, Battlefield...all hit the Top 10 on pop radio airplay. Kelly is the only Idol that has more. And her combined single downloads is something like 9 million. Her first album went platinum. Her second album did bomb, though. But she had a VERY successful debut album. Plus, she toured with the Jonas Brothers and Britney Spears this year. That's alot of $$$$.

vCash
    The Pickle being ahead of five American Idol winners, Glambert, and J-Hud

and closing in on the gaiken

From the Bloc
    vCash
    It's actually surprising that more country singers don't try for Idol, or that the show doesn't facilitate them getting to the top ten more often.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    and closing in on the gaiken
    You're gay, how can you even find it funny? Besides, it's a 5-year-old kid's insult. Are you going to make a funny now using Kelly's name and the word fat? I'm laughing already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    You're gay, how can you even find it funny? Besides, it's a 5-year-old kid's insult. Are you going to make a funny now using Kelly's name and the word fat? I'm laughing already.
    I'm gay, too... and I call him Gay Claiken. And Kelly Clarkson is not fat... although you just called her that.

vCash
    Kellie's had some fun songs. I hear her on country radio pretty frequently, though she hasn't had a #1 single yet.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    What did Clay Aiken do last year to earn him money? I haven't heard anything about him in quite some time.

It's not a surprise that Kellie Pickler is earning a lot of money. She does a lot of touring and she's doing country. Country sells much better than most other genres, where people are more likely to illegally download. Plus, country radio is good to Idols.

I think Casey James will be able to do quite well for himself if he does country cross-over.

vCash
    I guess Kellie Pickler is good if you don't mind nasal voices...
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    What did Clay Aiken do last year to earn him money? I haven't heard anything about him in quite some time.

It's not a surprise that Kellie Pickler is earning a lot of money. She does a lot of touring and she's doing country. Country sells much better than most other genres, where people are more likely to illegally download. Plus, country radio is good to Idols.

I think Casey James will be able to do quite well for himself if he does country cross-over.
    Hasn't he been on Broadway for a couple of years in Spamalot? I think it's closed now though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    Get over yourself, for chrissakes!

Not that you deserve any explanation, but ... "the Gaiken" is a term of endearment Kathy Griffin used in her stand-up a couple of years back. I like Clay, for the record, and I believe that he's a good role model.

I also like Pickler, and will admit to liking a couple of her songs. Do you object to me caling her The Pickle, here on this private forum?

We use a lot of terms here that we'd never used in a blog or what-not. The Gaiken is one of those for me, but that's because I don't know him personally nor do I have an endearing gay public like the ultimate FH Griffin. I don't find it offensive when someone like Kathy using "the Gaiken", gently, in her act. And neither did Clay.

ETA: Yes, I'm gay (thanks for pointing that out, whew, what a relief!) Along the same lines of The Gaiken, et al, my gay friends and personal FHs may call me "girl" or what-not all they want. But it'd be offensive (and pretty off-base, lol) for someone else to use it.
    Last edited by Beefcake; 05-26-2010 at 06:55 PM.

vCash
    Billboard's list is interesting cause it does include some of the contestants from the pre-digital era who benefited from higher physical CD sales in the early part of the 2000s (William Hung, Josh Gracin).

Kellie Pickler is actually currently opening for Taylor Swift - that can only help her rank highly in 2010 as well.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    The Gaiken is one of those for me, but that's because I don't know him personally nor do I have an endearing gay public like the ultimate FH Griffin. I don't find it offensive when someone like Kathy using "the Gaiken", gently, in her act. And neither did Clay
    Yeah. I'd like to be a mouse in the corner when Clay explains to his little boy that people call him "the Gaiken" because they like him. It's a term of endearment right up there with faggy. None of his fans, friends or family use the Gaiken. It's icky.

Although, on the other hand, Clay has made it very clear to his fans (but to no avail, they still go ballistic), that he has faced that sort of mocking his entire life and is a good place with it, and doesn't need defending.

Clay's earnings since he finished his run on Spamalot can only be guessed at, so I don't know where Forbes got the number. He has a PBS special that will be airing on some stations (starting in Chicago), and a new CD coming out on Decca records. He'll be on GMA and The View next week.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    None of his fans, friends or family use the Gaiken. It's icky.
    And how would any of us know that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    We don't. But does anyone seriously think that any of his friends and family would use this term? Or use it nicely? Kathy Griffin was using this term mockingly before he came out. I seriously doubt that anyone has ever used the term "the Gaiken" to refer to Clay Aiken other than to mock and insult.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    . None of his fans, friends or family use the Gaiken. It's icky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Okay, I'll rephrase. I'm a fan of his and have read almost everything ever publicly written or spoken about him, or relayed in a conversation to another fan- and none of his fans, friends or family have ever used "The Gaiken."

in other news- Anoop Desai helped with fundraising for the foundation Clay started- The National Inclusion Project.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    I'm just surprised Jennifer Hudson is as low as she is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    I'm just surprised Jennifer Hudson is as low as she is.
    The rankings are based purely on their music success and she only has one record. If they were measuring overall entertainment success, she surely would be higher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast