Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Jumps with forward landing

Are there any jumps which land facing forwards? I imagine it would be hard to get your weight balanced right to avoid tripping on the toe pick, but surely people have experimented with doing them?

vCash
    Nope, I have never heard of anyone experimenting with that. Seems it would be very hard to get that timing down after years of jumping "normal"

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ice dance View Post
    but surely people have experimented with doing them?
    They sure have. Gary beacom had a great pro number where all the jumps were landed forward. Tenaly Albright also used to perform some jumps where she landed forward in her amature performances.

vCash
    Low-level goofballs like myself do half flips and half lutzes, which land facing forward. Bunny hops, too I remember seeing Gary Beacom do a pro program where he landed a series of forward single axel-type jumps--but only one rev--that landed forward. . .will have to look around for it.

Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    vCash
    Sure, any "triple" jump ever done by Sarah Hughes

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSGP21 View Post
    Nope, I have never heard of anyone experimenting with that. Seems it would be very hard to get that timing down after years of jumping "normal"
    Peggy Fleming routinely did a 1 1/2 flip in a sequence with a single axel. It was very beautiful. She did it in her pro Pachelbel's Canon routine, AFAIR.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ice dance View Post
    Are there any jumps which land facing forwards? I imagine it would be hard to get your weight balanced right to avoid tripping on the toe pick, but surely people have experimented with doing them?
    Yes, when a skater screws up!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash

Anyway, I don't think that a true forward landing is possible on a triple jump, with the toe pick, it would be too dangerous !

vCash
    I'm copying over most of the content of a post I made in the Inventing a New Jump thread last fall, in case it has already or soon will go to archives where nonsupporters can't access it.

Half-revolution jumps from backward takeoffs are typically landed on the toepick of one foot and pushing onto an inside, or less commonly outside, edge of the other foot. Just look at a regular split jump for an example.

Axel takeoffs with one revolution can be landed forward the same way, as connecting moves. This can be called a half-axel or bell jump.

That can also be done with inside axel takeoffs -- see the RFI-to-RFI connecting hops at 4:36 in the middle of the jump sequence, leading into the triple toe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ieGvGdfyeo

Very rare one-revolution forward-takeoff (axel-type) jumps landing on the same edge as takeoff, in both directions, at 3:36:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ngCbGaf1bM

At least as far back as Cecilia Colledge or Megan Taylor in the 1930s and up through the 1960s-early 70s, as far as I can tell, it used to be pretty common to use 1.5 jumps from backward takeoffs, often in sequence with half and complete double jumps of the same takeoff.

Again, these would be landed on one toepick pushing onto an edge on the other foot.

Under the current rules it would be inadvisable to use those 1.5 jumps because they'd be called as downgraded doubles (earn the same base value as a regular single jump) and fill up jump boxes, and you'd have to make it really really clear that you did it on purpose and didn't just underrotate and two-foot a double jump attempt for judges to consider giving better than -3 GOE.

Here's a program with several examples of what we've talked
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ieGvGdfyeo
    Half-axel at 0:56
    Mazurka (half toe loop), 1.5 toe loop, double toe sequence starting at 1:09

vCash
    Robin Cousins used to do a beautiful 1 1/2 flip.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    The only forward landing jumps I know of are 1/2 and 1 1/2 flips and lutzes, split jumps, and a cherry flip which is like an axel but with 1 turn instead of 1 1/2.

I'd imagine that trying to land forward on a double or triple would just cause you to do a face plant because of the intense rotation speed.

vCash
    Haha, that's what I first thought. Good one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    They sure have. Gary beacom had a great pro number where all the jumps were landed forward.
    Gary Beacom 1998 World Cup of Figure Skating - forward jumps begin at about 4:00.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    The only forward landing jumps I know of are 1/2 and 1 1/2 flips and lutzes, split jumps, and a cherry flip which is like an axel but with 1 turn instead of 1 1/2.
    cherry flip we call toe loop here in the UK. It is landed backwards.

vCash
    Well, there's the bunny hop...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    and a cherry flip which is like an axel but with 1 turn instead of 1 1/2.
    I would call that a bell jump. I've never heard the term cherry flip before!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    Gary Beacom 1998 World Cup of Figure Skating - forward jumps begin at about 4:00.
    Oh, and twizzles, the real kind, done on a straight working leg, covering an equal amount of distance on each turn, covering distance
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    That's the one! Thanks for the link

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    I would call that a bell jump. I've never heard the term cherry flip before!
    My old coach called it a cherry flip but I've also heard bell jump. Maybe she was wrong?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast