vCash

UK funding cuts for sport...

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport has been asked to make £88 million of savings as part of Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne’s plans for £6.2 billion of in-year cuts for 2010/11.

http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newss...-of-savings-by

With cuts like this I would say finding funding for skaters and skating in the UK might get more difficult than it already is.
    Fingers crossed for a transparent and clear account of funding received and future funding plans and bids.

Banned Member
    vCash
    A friend of mine was asked a few years back to be the director of UK figureskating, he declined. One of his reasons was the cuts to the program would compromise the talent. Its a shame but so it goes with government funded sports programs when their is no money.
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    Thank you for your reply. I don't blame them...I don't think I'd be able to take on all the pressure of making it work. My hope is that withe the right planning and collaborations funding bids can be made that gets skaters the right kind of backing - other sports are doing it..

I think it was (cut and reverse sorry) Craig Mahoney made a really interesting keynote speech at a sports conference a while back about talent identification in UK sport and has published on this subject ( see below link )
    He looked at how funding is allocated and how it is measured through medal achievement, also looking at government policies...

When he showed the stats it was really surprising at how the right money in the right places made a difference ( and the opposing of course where it is badly placed...) - also as I recall that it's not always as simple as it seems.

I've been trying to find the paper - might try emailing him.

( Details: BASES Keynote Lecture
    Cultural Underachievement and Sport Psychology - Policy and Practice
    Craig Mahoney, BASES/ Professor of Applied Sport Psychology University of Northumbria )
    Last edited by Tallpoppy; 05-24-2010 at 11:14 PM.

vCash
    Paper is published in Sport & Exercise Psychology Review Vol 5 No 2 August 2009
    http://www.bpsshop.org.uk/Sport-Exer...2009-P858.aspx