184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Delobel & Schoenfelder

61 33.15%
  • Belbin & Agosto

123 66.85%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Who had better career- Delobel & Schoenfelder or Belbin & Agosto

This isnt a poll so much about which you feel is the better team but which do you believe had the better career. Belbin & Agosto won nearly all their head to head meetings with Delobel & Schoenfelder it seemed and had the edge in many ways- more grand prix event wins, many more World medals, an Olympic medal. However Delobel & Schoenfelder had the edge of winning a World title, Grand Prix final title, and a European title, whereas the biggest thing Belbin & Agosto actually won was Four Continents and their own Nationals. So which team do you believe had the better career.

vCash
    I wouldn't call a silver at the Olympics swiss cheese. Comparing B&A to D&S is a lot like comparing Kwan to Lipinski. Lipinski had some great highlights, but Kwan definitely had more of a sustained high career. Ditto with B&A.
    Last edited by barbk; 05-23-2010 at 10:39 PM.

vCash
    I would have to go with B/A, as they were also close to barrier breakers for other US ice dancers -- as they were the first US ice dancers to medal at Worlds in 20 years and the first to medal at Olys in 30 years.

vCash
    If we're talking about careers, not just a single season, Belbin & Agosto hands down. I think they changed ice dancing in a way that Delobel & Schoenfelder did not.

vCash
    Is there a specific reason for which you want to compare these particular two couples, judgejudy?

vCash
    Tanith & Ben without a doubt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Is there a specific reason for which you want to compare these particular two couples, judgejudy?
    No particular reason. I just thought it was interesting comparision since one almost always came out ahead when the two met and won many more medals, and the other one despite so often not winning medals won the Worlds and the Grand Prix final (plus beating that years and the previous years World Champions to win Europeans) while the other despite all they achieved didnt have one major win really. I am a fan of both teams btw.

vCash
    I agree with azskatefan. If we are going soley by medals/competitions won then it would have to be B&A.

If we were able to add in other factors then the answer probably wouldn't be nearly as clearcut (IMO).

vCash
    I vote for B/A, because they started getting medals at a younger age, when D/S got theirs in their late 20s.

vCash
    my first thought was B/A, but after looking at their career record I found they had NEVER won a major title(I don't think 4CC is a major event...), while D/S had won worlds, europeans and GPF, the only short for them is that they don't have an Olympic medal though that's what B/A have. And I think as a dance team, D/S own more love from fans than B/A. Tanith and Ben are both adorable persons but I don't think there're many people care about their skating, especially those non-American skating fans...

vCash
    Of course, I prefer Delobel and Schoenfelder, by far. They are amazing ice dancers, one of the best team ever, in term of skating skills.
    But considering the talent of Belbin and Agosto (or lack of , compared to Delshoes !), they had the best career they could have had.

vCash
    What is your definition of a better career anyway?

B/A are nothing close to D/S IMHO. It's just not the same kind of ice dance team. However, they have been on top for a long time and have won many, many different medals, including the Olympic silver (had it been judged fairly, D/S would have won a medal in Torino as well, though). But, as many people have already said, they haven't won a major title, which D/S managed to do.

I guess I'm with briancoogaert here - B/A had a magnificent career considering they haven't actually shown anything spectacular, just some fine dances. Their career was, let's say, easy and pleasant, while Isabelle and Olivier had to fight for a very long time until they were finally awarded places they actually deserved. Them winning Worlds in 2008 was one of the most beautiful victories in FS I've seen, knowing what a long and difficult journey they had to take before that.

So, I guess if you define better career by who had better achievements in general, I wouldn't know which team to choose, considering many medals without the gold in the case of B/A and less medals but including golds in the case of D/S. We have Worlds' gold against Olympic silver here and it's very hard to choose. If you define it by who had achievements corresponding to their skills (or even better achievements than skills), I choose B/A. However, if you define it by who's made bigger impact on FS, who had better quality dances, who had more loving fans, it's D/S.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    What is your definition of a better career anyway?
    Who earned more medals, perhaps?

Here are the medals both couples earned, excluding national championships.

Tanith & Ben: 38 medals (18 gold, 14 silver and 6 bronze). They won their first GP in 2003, four World medals (first medal in 2005), six-time 4CC medalists (gold in 2004, 2005 and 2006), three-time GPF medalists and Olympic silver medalists.

Isabelle & Olivier: 29 medals (10 gold, 9 silver, 10 bronze). They won their first GP in 2007, one World medal (gold in 2008), three-time European medalists (gold in 2007), two-time GPF medalists (gold in 2008).

vCash
    If I were in their place, I would much rather be remembered as part of D/S than B/A. So I choose D/S as having the better career.

vCash
    There is no point in comparing both teams but I am voting for B/A. It is not because of the amount of medals but for their charismatic style .And for some D/S may have more impact on FS but to be honest the only program that i can call memorable is "Frida" and i like almost all B/A programs .Besides D/S had their chance to shine as France #1 team after A/P retired but they never had the great succes of Marina and Gwendal .Why is that ?But please don't give me the judging underestimating theory again.Yes they had originality/thanks to Zazoui/ but i prefer P/B voidiness ,yes they had skills/ but always made mistakes/ and considering Isabelle's lack of expression untill 2004-2005, we had the answer in front of our eyes the whole time but everyone roots for the underdog and everyone was happy when they won the gold medal at EC and WC/myself included/.
    B/A were criticized many times about Tanith's skating and etc. but they had the expression and their own style that was like a fresh air and i don't think they have less fans.So there you go ,pure math or not Tanith and Ben got my vote.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vivika1982 View Post
    There is no point in comparing both teams but I am voting for B/A. It is not because of the amount of medals but for their charismatic style .And for some D/S may have more impact on FS but to be honest the only program that i can call memorable is "Frida" and i like almost all B/A programs .Besides D/S had their chance to shine as France #1 team after A/P retired but they never had the great succes of Marina and Gwendal .Why is that ?But please don't give me the judging underestimating theory again.Yes they had originality/thanks to Zazoui/ but i prefer P/B voidiness ,yes they had skills/ but always made mistakes/ and considering Isabelle's lack of expression untill 2004-2005, we had the answer in front of our eyes the whole time but everyone roots for the underdog and everyone was happy when they won the gold medal at EC and WC/myself included/.
    B/A were criticized many times about Tanith's skating and etc. but they had the expression and their own style that was like a fresh air and i don't think they have less fans.So there you go ,pure math or not Tanith and Ben got my vote.
    I tend to agree with this.. when I think about ice dancing in the last ten years, it's the programs of Belbin & Agosto that I remember above anyone else's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vivika1982 View Post
    What style ? Their only interesting program was their Elvis tribute. The rest had no style, looked old fashion and without inspiration. Just over-layed in term of facial expressions. That is why they didn't have the gold medals, IMO.

And about Delshoes, the lack of expression was from Olivier, not Isabelle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    What style ? Their only interesting program was their Elvis tribute. The rest had no style, looked old fashion and without inspiration. Just over-layed in term of facial expressions. That is why they didn't have the gold medals, IMO.

And about Delshoes, the lack of expression was from Olivier, not Isabelle.
    "Their only interesting program was their Elvis tribute. The rest had no style, looked old fashion and without inspiration. Just over-layed in term of facial expressions" can someone tell this to Igor and Maria??? cuz they do that for all their teams including D/W and V/M.

vCash
    I was going to go with D&S since they did have those couple big wins but then when I thought about it more I concluded Belbin & Agosto's Olympic silver is worth about equal to a World title. One of their many World medals is still atleast equal to the Grand Prix final title which while nice isnt that big a deal. Another of their World medals is atleast equal to the European title of D&S. And after all that is done Belbin & Agosto still have 2 more World medals (D&S are now run dry) and many other superior achievements. So I went with B&A despite that I do think a small part of them would trade anything just for 1 World title win which eluded them.

vCash
    Delobel & Schoenfelder win with me because being World & European Champions trumps having an Olympic silver, two world silvers, and two world bronzes. I also don't think an Olympic silver is about equal to a world title. It's still a runner-up medal. I'd rather have a world title and no Olympic medals, but that's just me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast