Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Who Is the Greatest Ice Dancer Ever

Who is the single greatest ice dancer ever, not a couple, but a single individual, either male or female? It may be an impossible question to answer. If so, express your opinion as such. But think long and hard. Your answer could change the face of ice dancing. Forgive me, as I may not be able to make another entry or reply to this thread.

vCash
    Probably a real matter of taste since there have been so many great and different dancers.
    I like Oksana Grishuk a lot. Her technic, hability on the ice and her interpretation qualities as well as her particular feeling of the music, are what make me think of her as at least one of the greatest.
    Chris Dean also.
    Marina Klimova.
    Marina Anissina.

But the first who came to my mind is Oksana Grishuk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Who is the single greatest ice dancer ever, not a couple, but a single individual, either male or female? It may be an impossible question to answer. If so, express your opinion as such. But think long and hard. Your answer could change the face of ice dancing. Forgive me, as I may not be able to make another entry or reply to this thread.
    Well I suppose Christopher Dean if you have to pick one person, because of his skills and innovation. But this is a somewhat difficult question to answer as ice dance is surely about the couple together not one person in the partnership??? and even Dean wouldn't have been half as good without Torvill

vCash
    Olivier Schoenfelder is perfect in term of skills.

vCash
    Your answer could change the face of ice dancing. Forgive me, as I may not be able to make another entry or reply to this thread.
    Are you trying to create the perfect ice dancer clone from a secret location or something?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash

I love the first post to this thread.

Anyway, my answer is Christopher Dean... but I'm a little worried I may have picked wrong or not studied hard enough. I've never given an answer of such import before...

vCash
    Christopher Dean probably. But more because of his innovation and creativity and the impact it had on ice dance than his skating skills.

vCash
    Oksana Grishuk by a mile. JHMO.

vCash
    Oksana Gritschuk. Nobody could do those twizzles and steps quite like her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Olivier Schoenfelder is perfect in term of skills.
    I agree with that. I could watch him skate all day.

vCash

Anyway, I know you wanted one, but I love making lists so here's 20.

1. Grishuk

2. Dean
    3. Schoenfelder
    4. Klimova
    5. Krylova
    6. Fusar-Poli
    7. Bestemianova
    8. Platov
    9. Staviski
    10.Ovsiannikov
    11.Usova
    12.Averbuch
    13.Anissina
    14.Torvill
    15.Moir
    16.Navka
    17.Domnina
    18.Virtue
    19.Delobel
    20.Grushina
    Last edited by casken; 05-18-2010 at 03:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post

Anyway, I know you wanted one, but I love making lists so here's 20.

1. Grishuk

2. Dean
    3. Schoenfelder
    4. Klimova
    5. Krylova
    6. Fusar-Poli
    7. Bestemianova
    8. Platov
    9. Staviski
    10.Ovsiannikov
    11.Averbuch
    12.Anissina
    13.Torvill
    14.Moir
    15.Navka
    16.Domnina
    17.Virtue
    18.Delobel
    19.Grushina
    20.Khoklova
    I hope this was just a list of 20 "randoms" that quickly came to mind because there is no way that Fusar Poli belongs in the top 50 let alone top 20! LOL..

vCash
    In the context of the question, I think Christopher Dean as well because of the impact he had on the sport.

But for skating skills and the perfect ice dancer Marina Klimova.

Sorry but Gritshuk just had awful legs and body shape which for me was a detraction. Plus I never found there was any great refinement or polish in what she did - it was all a bit messy.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodance2001 View Post
    I hope this was just a list of 20 "randoms" that quickly came to mind because there is no way that Fusar Poli belongs in the top 50 let alone top 20! LOL..
    Fusar Poli was an excellent dancer. She had to be to carry that clod of a partner to so many important medals, regardless how much politiking they benefited from.

vCash
    I'm sorry, but Babs was AMAZING. She would have been 4 time world champion and 2002 Olympic champ with an equal partner, and then could have went on to win Torino 4 years later and tie Grishuk. She could do anything you threw at her under both systems and could do both and

And it's not a scientific list. I just realized I forgot Usova for example. (which I just changed) And I'll admit that Grishuk as #1 is a more personal choice; all the criticisms of her are valid. My list is pretty much 50% skating ability - 30% style/presentation/musicality - 20% personal preference. Dean or Klimova would probably win a totally non biased list, if there could ever be one.

In terms of 100% personal preference though, I would have went with Schoenfelder.
    Last edited by casken; 05-18-2010 at 03:21 AM.

vCash
    PASHA!!!

She's the first to come to my mind as well. Honestly, there are so many great ones, all with different qualities that I can't even begin to choose just one. Maybe I'll think on it a bit and post later, but for now I'm sticking Oksana.

I'm glad someone mentioned Moir. It makes me throw up a little to admit it, but he really has some extraordinary skills.

Does anyone else find Gene's post a little bit frightening?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post

Actually now that you mention it and on re-reading it, it does come across as a little weird.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    PASHA!!!

She's the first to come to my mind as well. Honestly, there are so many great ones, all with different qualities that I can't even begin to choose just one. Maybe I'll think on it a bit and post later, but for now I'm sticking Oksana.

I'm glad someone mentioned Moir. It makes me throw up a little to admit it, but he really has some extraordinary skills.

Why does Moir being extraordinary make you want to throw up? Just wondering!

Btw, I can't choose a best. Virtue came to mind first but I dunno, I think I just don't remember the people before 2000 well enough.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Maia Usova.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Listing just one is sort of hard to do when there are so many outstanding ice dancers out there ... past and present. I'm afraid my list would include at least 20 or more because I'd have to include the partner, too.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast