vCash

Figure Skates Suggestions

So, I'm going to be buying a new pair of boots and blades for mens figure skating.

What brand/skate would you guys recommend for someone who can do a couple of doubles (toe, salchow, and lutz) as well as a forward camel, forward sit, upright spins, and a back sit spin?

vCash
    Well, that's a very difficult question to answer because the right boot really depends on the shape/size of your foot. Each boot manufacturer obviously has various types of boots based upon your level of skating, but you first must determine what brand will be best for you.

And as I'm sure everyone will tell you, you'll definitely need to see a good sports shop person that can properly fit you.

BTW, what are you skating in now if you can do jumps and spins? Perhaps stick with that brand? If you like that brand perhaps we can at least give you some guidance on how the more advanced boots fit/feel and also provide you info on our personal experiences with them.

From my experience, I have a wider foot, so in the beginning of my skating life I was going to choose between Harlicks and SP-Teri. Harlicks tend to run narrow, and it was ultimately decided SP-Teri would be best for me. I've used them my entire life, and they really are the best fit for my foot. However, you might have a different shaped foot and Harlicks, Grafs, or Ridell skates might be better for you.

In terms of blades, I think you need to determine how advanced you are. Do you have strong jumps and spins? If so, I would recommend Gold Star, Pattern 99, or Gold Seal. Pattern 99 and Gold Seal are almost similar, but the 99's usually run much cheaper. If you aren't as advanced, I would stick with a cheaper blade that won't cost as much. Also, I think you also need to determine how much time you'll be skating and what you want to accomplish. More expensive/advanced blades won't make you a better skater, but they will aid you if you have good skills. For example, if you have weak spins, I'd recommend a blade with a smaller/flatter rocker as opposed to a Pattern 99 or Gold Seal that has a very curvy rocker and might take a long time to get used to.

Anyway, I think if you offer a bit more info on what you plan to do, and what skates you've used in the past, it might be easier to recommend boots/blades. But as I said above, a good pro shop person is ultimately who you should talk to since he/she can properly asses your feet, body alignment, posture, etc. All of those factors go into a properly fitted boot.

vCash
    As Scootie12 said it is very hard to advise on boots. I use Riedells, but I have heard good things about many other brands. (And it really depends upon your own preference.)

To a point the same goes for blades...... But I just wanted to put in a good word for the K-pick option. (Available on many different blades.) I have Phantom K picks and they have made a real difference on toe jumps and loops (no more slipping off the toe picks on takeoffs.) They are wonderful. You might want to consider them.

vCash
    Ehh, I used to use Riedells, but I don't like them anymore and I'm not really getting anywhere with them so I looking for a different brand to try based on the suggestions here........

I also have wide feet and am a pretty strong spinner.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I use Klingbeils. They have a nice wide toe box and are easy to break in. Good customer service too. That said, boots are really such a personal preference.

vCash
    Jackson are good for wide feet.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Look at Edea boots. They are the highest selling boots in the Roller Skating world and apparently gaining a lot of fans on ice these days. I have a pair and had absolutely no problems breaking them in at all (no blisters...yay).
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Another vote for Edea here. I recently got a pair of Edea Ice Fly and love them so far. They seem to come in only one width (at least in Korea where I got them) so I had the ball and toe box area punched out for my wide feet.
    Literally no break-in time and no ankle pain or soreness (no more bunga pads!). Very light too. Edea seems to be a new fad in the Korean skating community as well.
    Last edited by michelle K; 05-25-2010 at 06:18 AM.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Jackson are good for wide feet.
    I second that. Plus I know one skater who got a quad in them, so they do make strong models for jumpers (I don't know what blades he wore.)

vCash
    I was actually looking at Jackson.... I will look at Edea. Thanks everyone! Keep the posts coming...

Could anyone suggest blades too for my level?

vCash
    Wait for Edea......... The boots all look weird. Are they made of leather or plastic?

vCash
    If your feet are wide in the toes, SP Teri, Jackson or Klingbeil should be good options. My feet are wide in the front but narrower in the heel so I wear SP Teris with a split width (an option on stock boots and doesn't cost that much more). I love the KT-2's because they are supportive and don't break down easily, but are pretty comfortable to break in due to the notch in the lace area and the way the top of the boot is cut.

If you are getting new blades, the best blade may depend on what blade you are using now, because the shape of the rocker ("rocker profile") makes a bigger difference than the radius of the rocker (7' vs 8') when it comes to adjusting to new blades. For example, I just switched from MK Gold Stars (7' rocker) to Wilson Gold Seals (8' rocker) because my coach said the flatter blade would give me more stability on jump landings and transitions. Since the Gold Star and Gold Seal have the same rocker profile--a full/round rocker with sweet spot farther forward on the blade--I had no adjustment at all; every turn, spin and jump takeoff felt great the first time I tried it! The only difference was that the Gold Seal was flatter than the Gold Star from behind the ball of the blade all the way to the heel, and that really did make my jump landing edges more stable, as well as exits of turns.

If you are currently using MK Phantoms (7' rocker) and want to switch to an 8' rocker blade, you should probably try Wilson Pattern 99's, since they have a similar rocker profile to the MK Phantoms (i.e., a less round rocker with sweet spot a little farther back). From what I hear, going from a Phantom or Pattern 99 to a Gold Seal can affect the timing and technique on your axel takeoff, due to the different rocker shape. If you are having trouble jumping straight up on your axel, the Gold Seal could be a good change, but if you have a reliable axel takeoff as it is, you probably don't want to change your rocker profile.

BTW, if you want blades with the same rocker profile as the Wilson blades but don't want to spend as much money, you can get the Ultima blades (sold by Jackson). I'm not sure, but I think the Ultima Supreme is based on the Gold Seal and the Ultima Elite is based on the Pattern 99.
    Last edited by Doubletoe; 05-25-2010 at 11:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Wait for Edea......... The boots all look weird. Are they made of leather or plastic?
    I agree about Edea boots. Unless they are covered up by OTBT or boot covers, they do look weird. Bit like hire skates. They certainly do not lead to a nice leg line.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.