Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    I haven't been in 20 years, but it was beautiful, and the fudge amazing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    ROTFL...you must have skipped the North Blockhouse or reading any of the exhibit signs. Basically the first battle of the war of 1812 was the British retaking the island fort. The only "important" thing that happened at the mainland fort was the massacre during Pontiac's Rebellion, when local tribes used a lacrosse game (well, the precursor to lacrosse) to trick their way into the fort and kill the British soldiers. It didn't actually have must effect in the grand scheme of things.
    The "battle" at fort Mackinac that started the war of 1812 was an immediate surrender with no fighting. Which, while it may be important to the war of 1812, is not very interesting. And since "something" constitutes more than just battles. Fort Michilimackinac also talks about the fur trade which I do think is "important".

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    snip...

And if you hit the upper UP, please please pleas visit Fort Wilkins. They're very lonely up there.
    That's the name of the fort I was tying to remember! I haven't been to the UP since I was a child; Nickel has some idea how long ago that was but Fort Wilkins was one of the most haunting places to me. If I remember correctly, the fort had not yet been renovated.

Second favorite site was Tahquamenon Falls, but best of all was Copper Harbor. The scenery in the UP is exceptional but seeing your father chased by a bear is something you don't forget. Only kids can laugh at something like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredith View Post
    Second favorite site was Tahquamenon Falls, but best of all was Copper Harbor. The scenery in the UP is exceptional but seeing your father chased by a bear is something you don't forget. Only kids can laugh at something like that.
    Copper Harbor!

LURVE Copper Harbor. Grew up 45 minutes south of there (Hancock) and always go there as often as possible when I go back home. It's one of the most gorgeous places I've ever seen.

garden freak
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Copper Harbor!

LURVE Copper Harbor. Grew up 45 minutes south of there (Hancock) and always go there as often as possible when I go back home. It's one of the most gorgeous places I've ever seen.
    My dad was born and raised in that area and we visited quite a few times when I was a kid. It is really beautiful country.

vCash
    We just got back from our Mackinac region excursion. Thanks for all the tips! We took the Shepler's ferry and I loved sitting on the top deck with the wind blowing in my hair! I very much enjoyed our day on the island and was really glad we were there when the lilacs were so plentiful and fragrant. Makinaw City is such a quaint little town, too. I went up to Sault Ste. Marie one morning to see the Soo Locks (hubby wasn't interested in that so I went alone while he lazed about at the hotel) and found it interesting but it would have been more so if a freighter had been going through at the time. All I got to see go through was a little Soo Locks tour boat, lol. But I got the idea of how it works so I guess that little demonstration wasn't so bad. I definitely want to go spend a lot more time in the U.P. some day as I didn't get to see the waterfalls or Whitefish Point or Copper Harbor, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12