vCash

Tuck Axel Trivia

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Karen Magnussen kind of did a tuck axel in the sense that she did a great flying sit spin. She did a flying sit spin with a RFO take off and landed on her RBO. Since landing a jump on either foot is legal, this was technically a tuck axel without a checked landing.

Karen Magnussen 1973 world championship long program

BTW, I think that Karen's flying sit spin is much more impressive than Midori Ito's LFO to LBO flying sit spin.

vCash
    I think in the really early days of the short program (perhaps up to 1976), a single axel variation was actually a required element. Perhaps some of the men chose to do tuck axel as their variation?

vCash
    Wow!! Karen was definitely Queen of the flying sit!! Incredible height and tuck position.

Midori's wasn't too bad, either....

Either woman could probably have done a tuck axel easily......Wonder why they didn't bother? (Both skated before ISJ, so the points were not an issue.)

I was searching through a lot of old videos on youtube and found some very interesting (and very cool moves) ...But no women with tuck axels....

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I bet Gabriele Seyfert could have done one. In addition to having a great Flying Sit Spin, she had a Double Colledge

Gabriele Seyfert 1968 Olympics - at the microphone: Eva Pawlik

vCash
    I could just _swear_ that Doroth Hamill did tuck axels, but I'm too lazy/busy to look up the videos (and I might be wrong, which is a very unsettling thought).

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I could just _swear_ that Doroth Hamill did tuck axels, but I'm too lazy/busy to look up the videos (and I might be wrong, which is a very unsettling thought).
    She had a beautiful delayed axel. Not sure about a tuck, though.