vCash

Bono has emergency back surgery

Bono had emergency back surgery yesterday in Munich. U2's first tour date, June 3 in Salt Lake City, has been postponed. I hope he's okay, especially by June 20...I'm going to see them in Seattle

http://www.vancouversun.com/Bono+eme...439/story.html

vCash
    Hmmm, June 20th is less than a month. I would plan on a postponment there too, if I were you.

Hopefully this is not too serious and he recovers well.

I saw this tour in September in Toronto and it was

vCash
    I saw them last fall in Vancouver. Incredible show. I hope to see it again.

I'm taking a no news is good news approach so far....haven't heard anything about further postponments, etc so far. BUT the prospect of emergency back surgery does scare me. What could he have done to himself? Is it possible to be ready to go in a month?

vCash
    I was scheduled to go to their concert in Philly, and got a message that the entire tour has been postponed until 2011. The tickets will still be good, but they will not be announcing new dates any time soon.

According to Live Nation:

"Tour promoters Live Nation have confirmed that the 16 U2360° shows from Salt Lake City on June 3rd, through to New Jersey's Meadowlands Stadium on July 19th, will be rescheduled for 2011.

U2 tour producer/promoter Arthur Fogel, CEO of Live Nation Global Touring, said, 'Although we understand the disappointment to U2 fans, first and foremost comes the recovery of Bono.'

Additional details on rescheduled dates will follow shortly and fans are encouraged to hold on to their tickets. We'll have all the information on U2.com as soon as it's confirmed."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Kate View Post
    I was scheduled to go to their concert in Philly, and got a message that the entire tour has been postponed until 2011. The tickets will still be good, but they will not be announcing new dates any time soon.
    Our vacation was planned around seeing them in Chicago. So our summer plans are up in the air. Fortunately, I hadn't booked a hotel yet. We may take a shorter cheaper trip in July or August and save the rest of our budget for Chicago whenever the show is rescheduled.

I've been trying to see U2 unsuccessfully for 20 years. So I'm probably responsible for jinxing this whole tour.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrak View Post
    I'm taking a no news is good news approach so far....haven't heard anything about further postponments, etc so far. BUT the prospect of emergency back surgery does scare me. What could he have done to himself? Is it possible to be ready to go in a month?
    He's torn some ligaments and - and this is the rub - he herniated a disc in his back. He then had surgery for the disc/to free up the sciatic nerve, compression of which had caused him to lose feeling in his leg.

IMO no, he won't be fully ready to do the travel and performance required for a tour in a month. IMO, he'll need at least 8 weeks. But I'm not a doctor - those more in the know can comment re: recovery time.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    He's torn some ligaments and - and this is the rub - he herniated a disc in his back. He then had surgery for the disc/to free up the sciatic nerve, compression of which had caused him to lose feeling in his leg.

IMO no, he won't be fully ready to do the travel and performance required for a tour in a month. IMO, he'll need at least 8 weeks. But I'm not a doctor - those more in the know can comment re: recovery time.
    Eight weeks recovery and rehab is the official word now. Postponing the entire North American leg of the tour gives him longer than that before the first European date which is in Italy on August 6.

Personally, I am predicting that when the new date is announced for my concert there will also be four wedding invitations (missed them twice for weddings) and three work obligations for the exact same date (missed them twice due to work).

vCash
    I saw them in Australia 4 years ago, and it was a brilliant show. It was also postponed 6 or 7 months, due to the illness of a close family member of someone (I can't remember whose family, but it wasn't Bono's). It was very last minute - they were already in the country when it happened.

If possible, I recommend you hold onto your tickets. It was one of the best shows I've ever seen
    Last edited by *Jen*; 05-26-2010 at 10:23 PM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Shame for my friend who had tickets to Glastonbury and was looking forward to seeing them. Apparently Gorrilaz will replace them there.

I saw U2's NJ show last September with Muse and it was a highlight of the year. Best of luck with his recovery!