vCash

Competing Pairs and Dance simultaneously?

In another thread, someone joked that Fedor might try to do pairs and dance with 2 different partners at the same time (just a joke, don't get excited). Has anyone ever done this at the junior or senior level? Or the same pair competing both pairs and dance? Is it even allowed? Just curious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    In another thread, someone joked that Fedor might try to do pairs and dance with 2 different partners at the same time (just a joke, don't get excited). Has anyone ever done this at the junior or senior level? Or the same pair competing both pairs and dance? Is it even allowed? Just curious.
    If they qualified for both events, why wouldn't it be allowed? It would be no different than, for a recent example, Amanda Dobbs competing in both singles and pairs.

vCash
    A team competed in both at the British Championships around 8 or 10 years ago I think - IIRC it was at Primary level, which is now Novice. I guess it is more common at a younger age, to see which direction they may want to take.

I think it was me who suggested that about Fedor. I wonder why he isn't trying out pairs rather than dance?!
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

vCash
    I know that Vanessa Crone and Paul Poirier used to skate both pairs and dance years ago, as well as skating singles. There was an article last year I think that mentionned it. IIRC they said it was kind of hectic and too hard to focus on all the events.

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_...s/3seccos.html

Novice Dance, Pre-Novice singles and Juvenile pairs.

vCash
    Didn't Dawn and Troy Goldstein compete in both Sr pairs and dance at US Nationals in the early 90's? I'm almost certain that one year at US Nationals Troy Goldstein competed in singles, pairs, and dance.

vCash
    Hal Marron (now an international-level judge) skated pairs with one sister and dance with another, but I'm not certain that he competed at Nationals in both events during the same year(s).

vCash
    At 2005 US Nationals, Nathan Miller competed in Novice Pairs with Claire Davis and in Novice Dance with Stacy Kim. He won 1st in Novice Pairs but came in last (12th) in Novice Dance. He gave up dance after that to concentrate on pairs.

vCash
    Johnny Johns, back in the early 1970s!! All the time he was competing in dance with Mary Karen Campbell, he was also competing in pairs with other partners -- IIRC he won a bronze medal in pairs the same year he and Campbell were national dance champions (1973). Then after that he dropped dance and formed a new pair team with Melissa Militano, and they were national pair champions the next two seasons.

Going back somewhat farther, Ron Ludington was also competing in dance with a different partner at the same time he was a national pair champion. And, going in the other direction, I remember seeing Jerod Swallow competing in both junior pairs and junior dance (again with different partners) at 1984 Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
    Didn't Dawn and Troy Goldstein compete in both Sr pairs and dance at US Nationals in the early 90's? I'm almost certain that one year at US Nationals Troy Goldstein competed in singles, pairs, and dance.
    Yes, I remember that too. I think it was 1993, and actually, it was even more impressive than that: Troy competed in *four* events as he was also entered in the compulsory figures competition as well as singles, pairs, and dance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
    Yes, I remember that too. I think it was 1993, and actually, it was even more impressive than that: Troy [Goldstein] competed in *four* events as he was also entered in the compulsory figures competition as well as singles, pairs, and dance.
    Given the opportunity, he also competed in interpretive events. He did so at Skate Canada at least once in the early 1990s.

vCash
    Way, way back, the Carruthers actually competed in dance and pairs. I believe that Jerod Swallow also did dance and pairs prior to teaming up with Liz.

Somewhat more recently, Christie Moxley qualified for Nationals in both, but I think it was different years.

vCash
    Didn't Jeremy Abbott skate pairs, dance, and singles all at the same time many years ago???

vCash
    On roller about a decade ago the (American) Jnr World Dance champions also placed third in pairs at Worlds in the same year.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8muse View Post
    Didn't Jeremy Abbott skate pairs, dance, and singles all at the same time many years ago???
    + Hockey and diving ?
    Sorry, I'm just kidding. I've heard he did dance, but never heard anything about Pairs. Maybe a try ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acraven View Post
    Hal Marron (now an international-level judge) skated pairs with one sister and dance with another, but I'm not certain that he competed at Nationals in both events during the same year(s).
    Hal comes on this forum from time to time too .
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Hal comes on this forum from time to time too .
    I believe Mr. Marron also skated as a single at that time as well.

And yes, he monitors things here...so be nice!!
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    + Hockey and diving ?
    Sorry, I'm just kidding. I've heard he did dance, but never heard anything about Pairs. Maybe a try ?
    This was driving me nuts about Jeremy Abbott, so I finally looked it up. He did skate all 3 disciplines, but apparently not at the same time as I had thought.
    Ice Dance: 1995-96 with Amanda Cunningham, 1997-1998 with Katie Hoffmaster
    Pairs: 1998-99 with Brittany Vise, 2001-2002 with Krystal Sorenson
    Of course, we know about the singles.

Didn't find anything about diving or hockey, though. Perhaps he and Brittany dove into pairs on hockey skates...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8muse View Post
    This was driving me nuts about Jeremy Abbott, so I finally looked it up. He did skate all 3 disciplines, but apparently not at the same time as I had thought.
    Ice Dance: 1995-96 with Amanda Cunningham, 1997-1998 with Katie Hoffmaster
    Pairs: 1998-99 with Brittany Vise, 2001-2002 with Krystal Sorenson
    Of course, we know about the singles.

Didn't find anything about diving or hockey, though. Perhaps he and Brittany dove into pairs on hockey skates...
    Jeremy is my Hero !

vCash
    Vanessa Crone and Paul Poirier of Canada did that as well as skating singles.
    They just recently focused only on dance.