Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    I do "know" some people, but they are rather indirect acquaintances, so I don't think I'd feel comfortable asking about their current new hires. I thought that having connections would help, but these aren't good connections, I guess.
    This is where LinkedIn might be helpful. If you can link to these people, you will be able to find out all the paths that connect you to the employer. For example, I'm linked to a person due to a personal friendship, but she is linked to the hiring manager for a major firm due to a work relationship. I was able to give the info I got on LinkedIn to another friend who was looking for work.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

gold dust woman
    vCash
    I am on LinkedIn--I'll start working with it more. Thanks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    I'm trying to move from one city to another--they are 1.5 hours from each other, but in different states.
    This could be a real issue. They could be concerned about relocation. Do you need them to pay for relo and interview costs? If not, then that may allow them to hire you. If the following is true, then when you apply, make sure that your cover letter states, right up front, that you are planning to move to this city, and that you will fund your own relocation, as well as any costs involved re: interview travel. That you are free to move as soon as they need you.

I think option number 2 is the best guess. I need to customize my resume to what they are looking for, and emphasize their goals. I don't think they know anyone in my current company.
    This is vital. Your resume and cover letter should be 100% applicable to each job you apply to, and that often means you must customize it. This includes incorporating key words that they use in their job posting, etc.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    This could be a real issue. They could be concerned about relocation. Do you need them to pay for relo and interview costs? If not, then that may allow them to hire you. If the following is true, then when you apply, make sure that your cover letter states, right up front, that you are planning to move to this city, and that you will fund your own relocation, as well as any costs involved re: interview travel. That you are free to move as soon as they need you.

This is vital. Your resume and cover letter should be 100% applicable to each job you apply to, and that often means you must customize it. This includes incorporating key words that they use in their job posting, etc.
    I've already moved...and I mention that in my cover letter as well. I wonder if it might be tied to salary--I'm moving from a larger city with a much higher cost of living to a smaller city with a much lower COL. I keep saying that my salary is negotiable, and I don't know how much more I can say about that.

I'm going to work on my resume ASAP! Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123