Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

general job hunting questions

I didn't want to usurp Brian's job question thread, so I thought we could use this one for general job hunting questions.

Here's mine - about two weeks ago I applied for a position and never heard back. Today I saw that the ad had been reposted in the same place as before, but with a more recent date (yesterday). My question is - do I assume that I've already been passed over for this job and should just let it go, or can I try again since they're still looking? (Or can I email them and ask for a followup to my previous application?) This is a position I really, really, want.

Thanks - and big hugs to all the other frustrated job hunters out there...

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Absolutely try again/follow up - it's possible your first application was lost or misplaced.

vCash
    If there's some way to research the number of the hiring manager or HR, you can call and ask if they received your info. Calling sometimes works as it may lead to a mini phone interview. No guarantees, though.

If you can't dig up a number, you can send an email. Title it "Position X - Follow Up" Write it as if it was your cover letter. You noticed the other ad, replied, hadn't heard, and now see it again. Then, tell them that the position is something you're really interested in and uniquely qualified for because... Basically, the follow up email should be another sales pitch to see if you can get in for an interview.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Here's the thing: it seems that the application process for this job is being done through a company that specializes in hiring/placing people. There isn't enough on the job description for me to figure out the identity of the actual place that I'd be working. I did find the office phone number of the lady (the recruiter) that I'd sent my application to - should I go ahead and call her, or send the followup email to her?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I would call, even if it is only the recruiter. Just tell them you are following up after not hearing anything and that you saw the ad again, you are still very interested and you think you would be great for the job. Good luck!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I agree that you should call and follow up, if you are a strong candidate, but just some words of wisdom: when a co goes to a headhunting agency to fill a position, it means they haven't been able to fill the position on their own, usually b/c they are looking for a very specific set of skills and experience. And if they've reached a point where they're willing to pay for their ideal candidate, they usually won't compromise on anything, so if you are not the exact person they are looking for, unfortunately you won't be considered.

I've run into this many times. The headhunting agency usually has a long list of requirements that they don't post in the job ad, so you usually have no idea what else the place is looking for. The job ads headhunting agencies post tend to be general b/c 1) space=money, 2) if the co is looking to replace a current employee, they don't want to give away enough info to tip the employee off, and/or 3) the headhunting agency likes collecting resumes to increase their chances of filling a position down the road.

vCash
    I hate these outside recruiters. Sigh.

Before you call, check the ad and look carefully at every keyword in the ad, and then check your resume to see if you've incorporated every single one of the keywords. Way too often they're looking for a word-for-word perfect match with zilch understanding of what many of the words mean.

I knew someone initially not offered an interview because he listed expertise with Oracle Database Software on Sun servers-- he'd actually worked in Oracle's consulting division. The screener didn't pass him on because his resume didn't mention Solaris -- the operating system used on Sun servers. Luckily he called back, and sure enough, the person screening resumes had no idea that using Sun servers -- at least in the past decade or more -- rather intrinsically implied that you were working under Solaris.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    If you have a sense of which companies it might be, you can also check their websites to see if they have an ad posted. Even try googling any phrases that sound specific. I have figured out several blind opportunities that way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    If you have a sense of which companies it might be, you can also check their websites to see if they have an ad posted. Even try googling any phrases that sound specific. I have figured out several blind opportunities that way.
    YES... google a word string from the ad within quotes, then type the city you're looking in. It's amazing how often the company site pops up!

vCash
    A lot of web-based job posting sites has a function where the recruiter can request that the job be automatically renewed each month. It's possible that the job re-appeared for that reason. I use that function all the time until the position is filled. It doesn't mean you've been passed over.

vCash
    Well, that was a bust.

I went ahead and called the number listed for the recruiter and got voicemail - of someone else, so I called the main recruiting company and asked to speak with the recruiter listed. They told me that she no longer works here I explained that I was calling with regards to job listing so and so and that she was listed as the person of contact, and the receptionist put me through to someone else's voicemail - I couldn't even catch the name. I left a voicemail for that person explaining my situation and stating that I wanted to check on the status of my application and reiterate my interest in the job, but I wouldn't be surprised if they never call/email me back.

I thought about resubmitting my application, but the email listed is still that of the recruiter who no longer works there. Should I still go ahead and do it?

(Oops, forgot to mention - it's not a company, it's a medical private practice. They were vague enough to let you know what specialty it's in, but there are too many in this region to narrow it down)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    Oops, forgot to mention - it's not a company, it's a medical private practice. They were vague enough to let you know what specialty it's in, but there are too many in this region to narrow it down
    Patience, little grasshopper. If it sounds like a complex job, it's in a larger practice or is in a satellite office of a hospital. Now's the time to milk your network. You know the specialty, so search all your LinkedIn and other contacts to see if you have someone who might get you on the trail.

This may not be your cup of tea, but I'm brazen enough to cold call the most likely employers. Ask to speak to the office manager, then ask about the posted job. You'll either get "we don't have a posting" or "ummmmm, followed by a long pause, followed by instructions to call the recruiting firm" If you do get a hit, you can research that particular practice and get some specifics so that you can follow up with the unnamed recruiter again. Meanwhile, send a cover letter and resume directly to the practice - office manager or medical director depending on the job. Indicate what a great fit you are, that you are trying to work with their recruiter, but the person assigned has left the firm (true) and you want to make sure your qualifications actually got to the practice.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    This may not be your cup of tea, but I'm brazen enough to cold call the most likely employers. Ask to speak to the office manager, then ask about the posted job. You'll either get "we don't have a posting" or "ummmmm, followed by a long pause, followed by instructions to call the recruiting firm"
    That's a great idea - what's the worst that can happen? At best you hit pay dirt, at worst you might open up a few additional opportunities. And wouldn't the practice like to know that their recruiting firm is putting out ads with invalid contacts?

Many years ago when hubby was just out of college, he made a list of about 8 firms he wanted to work at. He put on a suit, stashed a bunch of resumes in a briefcase, and walked into every one of them, asking to see the boss (who's name he already had). He managed to speak directly to about half of them, got call backs from two in the next few days, and then an offer from the one he ended up working with for about five years.

I've never known anyone to do that before or since - and trust me this is not the kind of thing hubby normally does - but it worked!

vCash
    Patience, little grasshopper. If it sounds like a complex job, it's in a larger practice or is in a satellite office of a hospital. Now's the time to milk your network. You know the specialty, so search all your LinkedIn and other contacts to see if you have someone who might get you on the trail.

This may not be your cup of tea, but I'm brazen enough to cold call the most likely employers. Ask to speak to the office manager, then ask about the posted job. You'll either get "we don't have a posting" or "ummmmm, followed by a long pause, followed by instructions to call the recruiting firm" If you do get a hit, you can research that particular practice and get some specifics so that you can follow up with the unnamed recruiter again. Meanwhile, send a cover letter and resume directly to the practice - office manager or medical director depending on the job. Indicate what a great fit you are, that you are trying to work with their recruiter, but the person assigned has left the firm (true) and you want to make sure your qualifications actually got to the practice.
    Excellent, after much online stalking I think I just found it Problem is they have two offices listed in the same area, but I'll just check in with both. I wish it wasn't Friday after hours, but I guess Monday morning would be a better time to call anyway. (You're right...I do need to learn some patience. The whole job hunting process is proving to be immensely frustrating, but I'm working on it!)

Jenny - that's an excellent idea as well - and depending on how desperate I get, I might go ahead and try it on the clinics in this area (especially the ones that took care of my skating injuries over the years... ). If I were to visit private practices, I should ask to see the office manager, right?

A huge thanks to you both and everyone else who's responded - I really appreciate it.

vCash
    Nice -- I hope it works out for you -- and good luck with something else even if it does not.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Follow-up--Follow-up! The very first rule of job hunting...but don't be a pest.

Job hunting is a fulltime job and I wish you all the best!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MOIJTO View Post
    Follow-up--Follow-up! The very first rule of job hunting...but don't be a pest.

Job hunting is a fulltime job and I wish you all the best!
    Absolutely a full time job - and one of the hardest you will ever have in my experience. I even found it hard when I was applying to fulfill my Employment Insurance requirements and didn't particularily want to get a job

One of my favourite stories about the potential of following up was when my sister did just that. After she applied for a job in her field she was out of town for a several days and had no messages from the company. She really thought she was a good fit so she called them just to be sure she hadn't missed a call from them and was told that she hadn't made their short list for interviews. She told them she was sorry to hear that since she would have been a good candidate and thanked them for their time.

Half an hour later she got a call back. After her call they had reviewed her application and though they stood by their initial feeling that she was not the candidate they were seeking, if she wanted to come in for an interview under that understanding they were willing to give her the time.

So of course we know what happens - aced the interview and moments after arriving back home she got the call that the job was hers.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post

The job ads headhunting agencies post tend to be general b/c 1) space=money, 2) if the co is looking to replace a current employee, they don't want to give away enough info to tip the employee off, ....
    OMG - first thing I thought of when reading #2 was - I wonder how many times the current employee unknowingly applies for their own job?
    Chances are if the company is that unhappy with an employee it goes both ways and the employee will be out there looking in their field already.

Good luck to all the job hunters out there. One of the hardest things is not to let it get you down. Remember to network as much as you can - human nature being what it is many people will show a preference for someone they know or know of - even if it is the friend of an acquaintance or a more tenuous connection.
    Last edited by Skate Talker; 05-22-2010 at 04:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    OMG - first thing I thought of when reading #2 was - I wonder how many times the current employee unknowingly applies for their own job? Chances are if the company is that unhappy with an employee it goes both ways and the employee will be out there looking in their field already.
    In 2000, I worked for a company that actually searched Monster every Monday for newly posted resumes of its employees. Anyone with a fresh resume who was between client assignments got canned. It backfired on them, though, as many of us found better jobs AND collected severance. If they just let it go, we would have walked with no $$$.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    In 2000, I worked for a company that actually searched Monster every Monday for newly posted resumes of its employees. Anyone with a fresh resume who was between client assignments got canned. It backfired on them, though, as many of us found better jobs AND collected severance. If they just let it go, we would have walked with no $$$.
    How ridiculous! Instead of firing everyone they should have taken a look at themselves and asked why everyone wants to quit!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Very ridiculous - in today's job climate it is very wise to keep feelers out there in the job market at all times - it's just too much work for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast