vCash

ATM inventor passes away

The man who invented the ATM has passed away.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/atm-i...0520-vodq.html

Pretty important invention when you think about it and one that we all take for granted these days.
    Last edited by Aussie Willy; 05-21-2010 at 01:07 AM.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I wonder if this guy had any idea how big his invention was going to be.

Rest in peace.

vCash
    The 40th anniversary of the first ATM was a couple of years ago. I remember the BBC interviewing him about it.

In an interview with the BBC in 2007, Mr Shepherd-Barron said: "It struck me there must be a way I could get my own money, anywhere in the world or the UK.

"I hit upon the idea of a chocolate bar dispenser, but replacing chocolate with cash."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/s...ds/8691747.stm

Mr Shepherd-Barron's wife influenced his thoughts on the Pin, used to operate the machines.

The inventor could remember his six-figure Army number but he ran the idea by his wife Caroline.

Mr Shepherd-Barron said: "Over the kitchen table, she said she could only remember four figures, so because of her, four figures became the world standard."

-----------------

Monday, 25 June 2007, 05:35 GMT 06:35 UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6230194.stm

"Money costs money to transport. I am therefore predicting the demise of cash within three to five years."

He believes fervently that we will soon be swiping our mobile phones at till points, even for small transactions.

Finally On The "Sunny" Side Of The Rockies!
    vCash
    LOL! I remember my Gran going to that first bank machine mentioned in the article in 1968 and getting money out. It came out in this white plastic container that looked kinda like a floppy disk. I remember her giving the container to my brother to play with and when we moved to Canada, the container came along too and was in my brother's possession for many years after. LOL, probably got thrown out when he was a teenager.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Pretty important invention when you think about it and one that we all take for granted these days.
    I vaguely remember "banker's hours" and would die if I had to live by them today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    I vaguely remember "banker's hours" and would die if I had to live by them today.
    Thankfully by the time I moved out of home ATMs were pretty common. Still I do remember Mum having to go the bank before closing time.

I also remember the days when my Dad got paid in cash.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.