Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Always knew you were nuts.
    I never put nuts in baked goods

Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    I made brownies a few days ago so I'm good for now as far as baking urges go. My boyfriend says I have to start making lower fat treats.. he's no fun

Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indra486 View Post
    Better shortcuts than pastry mashup-transplants from other pastries that you'll need special cocktails to slosh down.....
    I will NEVER forgive her for what she did to those pies!!!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    The buttermilk and yohurt alternatives are good options though. There is something else here - creme fraiche - but I don't know how to translate it, because the literal translation is 'fresh cream' which it most definitely is not.

I'd better get a better job and start saving my pennies for a visit then
    Buttermilk isn't creamy, though. And you have to add cultures to yogurt. Creme fraiche is probably the closest thing. I tried making some once but chickened out before I actually tried to taste it. The yogurt I made is perfectly fine, though.

Quote Originally Posted by alhrayth View Post
    The only fondant I ever tried is the one I used on a couple of decorated cakes I made ( hearts, kittens and F/S) and I quite liked the flavour, esp in the second and third cake because I rolled it a little thinner and it actually added something to the cake... I have never tried a commercial/pre-made version so I don't have something to compare mine to...
    OMG those are ADORABLE! They almost look like a clay figurines!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    See this is what I wanted to do for my neice's birthday cake.. but making the fondant totally intimidated me haha. Maybe next time.. my boyfriend's sister wants me to make the castle cake for her daughter's birthday this summer.
    I want to say two things here... one is *do not be intimidated*!!! I was, but the fondant was sooooooo easy to make (ok, getting it not to stick to my table when I rolled it thins took a couple of tries and LOADS of icing sugar, but really, I was expecting MUCH worse!). The one made from marshmallows is ridiculously easy to make, I was afraid of it but now I can say it really is!
    second... wow I have seen lots of castle cakes recently, from the absurdly elaborate to some very simple ones... I'm sure you can find one you feel like trying, and I'm sure it will be a success!!

Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I gave rep raving about the cat cake before I saw the Vancouver one. LOVE that you got F/S's costumes so right

Now I want to go home and bake
    LOL I have to confess going back to check the photos a lot more times than I should while I was making them... I know I should know their costumes pretty well (I tend to have good photographic memory) but I was soooooo scared of messing up some key details... I would have been so embarassed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    Same here! I haven't baked my Magnolia Bakery cupcake recipe in awhile...hmmm...
    never tasted one... but I like the sound of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    OMG those are ADORABLE! They almost look like a clay figurines!
    I was quite perplexed in seeing how much they dried and looked clay-like... and that's just icing sugar, honey, a tiny tiny bit of water and gelatin...

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    I made a castle cake for my neice's birthday and just used buttercream icing which was okay but kind of messy and didn't turn out as clean looking as I would have liked. Boyfriend did print out a recipe for the marshmallow fondant then but I was afraid to try. It was my first time making a big cake like that.. well making any kind of decorated cake actually I used cupcakes to make the towers but I think next time I'll use rice crispie treats like they do on TV. Much more sturdy I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Hedwig, do your friends have their hearts set on a traditional tiered wedding cake or would a tasty, nicely decorated sheet cake satisfy them? I attended a small wedding on Valentine's Day, many years ago where the couple had two, heart-shaped layer cakes instead of a tiered wedding cake. The cake was a delicious strawberry flavor with strawberry jam between the layers and white fondant frosting.
    I think my friends don't care as much as I do. I am the one who has her heart set on a tiered wedding cake.

But what is a sheet cake? I don't know the term.

About the Sour Cream: We have it in Germany, so that is no problem.
    The Sour cream cake sounds

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Sheet cake just means one layer (or sheet) of cake, usually in a rectangle

Example < scroll about halfway down to see the one called Specialty Cake
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    A sheet cake is a one layer cake baked in (usually) a rectangular sheet. To make really big ones, you can bake multiple rectangles and use the icing to look like one big cake. They're very easy to cut, and give you a big surface to decorate. You don't have to worry about engineering the layers that way, and it's a great solution for heavy cakes.

I'm just learning to cook more than pasta and a few recipes I've done a million times, and I haven't baked anything except from a mix since the Great Challah Disaster of 1969, but the one thing I've read over and over again is that apart from a few dishes, in general, in cooking, you don't have to be particularly accurate in measurements, but for baking, take the measurements literally, because there's science involved.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    A sheet cake is just a standard one tier cake, usually rectangular. The ones from bakeries are usually cut in half and filling put in between. Example

ETA: others beat me to it!

JEWELS.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    Yes, Sauer Rahm. So crucial to central European cooking. I remember being able to find it in Switzerland and Germany.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    The Sour cream cake sounds
    Interesting. A colleague of mine goes to Germany once a month to do his grocery shopping (apparently it's cheaper) so I might ask him to get me some
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Last summer I went to a lovely reception where cake was the star atttraction. There was a small traditional wedding cake plus all over the room there were these fantastic, beautifully decorated, home made layer cakes. The couples friends and relatives who liked to bake each supplied one of their best cakes. It was like being let loose in a high end bakery with a fork and a plate.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    Last summer I went to a lovely reception where cake was the star atttraction. There was a small traditional wedding cake plus all over the room there were these fantastic, beautifully decorated, home made layer cakes. The couples friends and relatives who liked to bake each supplied one of their best cakes. It was like being let loose in a high end bakery with a fork and a plate.
    Oh, yummmmmmmm...
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    That would be awesome!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    My biggest fear about making a traditional wedding cake would be transporting it. The biggest advantage to using cupcakes (I went to a wedding last summer that did that) or a sheet cake, is that they are relatively easy to transport and move. Tiered cakes are not. Decorating isn't that big of a deal for a summer wedding because you can use flowers or fresh fruit such as strawberries.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Most people I know who've made tiered cakes have assembled them on site on the rolling cart to avoid the transportation mess. I never really thought about it, but I guess they decorated them after assembling them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    My biggest fear about making a traditional wedding cake would be transporting it. The biggest advantage to using cupcakes (I went to a wedding last summer that did that) or a sheet cake, is that they are relatively easy to transport and move. Tiered cakes are not. Decorating isn't that big of a deal for a summer wedding because you can use flowers or fresh fruit such as strawberries.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Most people I know who've made tiered cakes have assembled them on site on the rolling cart to avoid the transportation mess. I never really thought about it, but I guess they decorated them after assembling them.
    kwanfan's response is my same suggestion... or at least, that's what I'm planning to do for the cake I want to make for next week... I already told the hostess (it's a BIG bbq at someone's place) that I would need to use her kitchen for the final assembly, and I'm planning to make the different tiers and decorations and transport them un-assembled...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123