Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash

Little Girls Dancing; Too Young to 'Put a Ring on It'?

The girls are 8 and 9 year-olds. I think they're talented, but it's all a bit too much, IMO. Then again, I'm not a parent.

The dance:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dc6u92boyw

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...3572&type=moms

People are outraged by the Orange County dance troupe's risque costumes and sexual moves, and feel that this is yet another example of our culture's tendency to sexualize young girls.
    One mom said, "People have made comments about how the music video is inappropriate...Our girls haven't seen the Beyonce music video. What they have seen is the Chipettes do it in the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie.
    Uh, mom, the girls likely saw more than just the chimpmunk 'Squeakquel' movie.

vCash
    When my daughter was 5 (she's 27 now) , her dance class did a number in the annual recital to "Papa Don't Preach"

I was a little surprised at her dance teacher's choice, but no other parent said a word that I'm aware of.

Banned Member
    vCash
    To much? Uh! Yeah! But its what advertising and marketing breeds! Of course a parent needs to be a parent and I am sure the parents of these girls are as befuddled by the marketing too!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    When my daughter was 5 (she's 27 now) , her dance class did a number in the annual recital to "Papa Don't Preach"
    Hmmm, 1988-ish. Do you remember what they wore?

"I made up my mind, I'm keeping my baby!" Did they hold dolls? The mind reels.

vCash
    I do find that they are sexualizing these young girls. They do it at all these type events-rather it be a pageant or dance competition. Imo It's pretty much because the adults are living their own dreams though their daughters. AND because the young girls see the glam of the adults they are imitating and they think it's all shiny and pretty.

vCash
    Beyonce's video for this features less skimpy attire and less suggestive movement.

This is disturbing. They are dressed like and dancing like strippers. And the parents who think it is okay need some help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    Hmmm, 1988-ish. Do you remember what they wore?

"I made up my mind, I'm keeping my baby!" Did they hold dolls? The mind reels.

There wore a lot more than these girls. Leotards, tights and a skirt.

No, no dolls. But OMG if they had

vCash
    I think it's disgusting. I don't care what the girls are aware of and what they're not aware of - this is way too mature for little girls. And I don't care what little kids are exposed to, whether it be in the past or now - doesn't make it right. This is akin to the little girl pagents where they all dress/dance like Vegas showgirls, IMO.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    I think if the outfits hadn't been so.....slutty.....there wouldn't be as much outrage. There are a couple of questionable moves, but with a cuter, less revealing costumes, they wouldn't stand out so much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tarotx View Post
    I do find that they are sexualizing these young girls. They do it at all these type events-rather it be a pageant or dance competition. Imo It's pretty much because the adults are living their own dreams though their daughters. AND because the young girls see the glam of the adults they are imitating and they think it's all shiny and pretty.
    I attended a dance school for 12 years (1986-1998), and I never remember any of the parents being allowed to, or trying to, call the shots on the competition group numbers. The solo competition routines, maybe, and I wouldn't know because those are worked in in private lessons only, but not the groups.

vCash
    I have close friends whose children do competition dance and two nieces who used to do these competitions so I know parents have some influence but I was talking about the adults creating the routines and selecting the costumes.

vCash
    Horrible!! Just..terrible!

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I remember watching a dance recital when my children were little. One of the more accomplished high school girls did a verrry suggestive solo to "All that Jazz". My friend said to me "Oh joy, look what we have forward to. We pay for ten years of dance lessons, costumes, competitions, etc. and then we can watch our daughters dance like strippers in front of all our friends."

vCash
    I agree the gyrations are too much and the costumes look like street walkers. Shame on this instructor. I wonder how she taught them some of that stuff?
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    I remember watching a dance recital when my children were little. One of the more accomplished high school girls did a verrry suggestive solo to "All that Jazz". My friend said to me "Oh joy, look what we have forward to. We pay for ten years of dance lessons, costumes, competitions, etc. and then we can watch our daughters dance like strippers in front of all our friends."
    That's about the size of it, unfortunately.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    considering that they are marketing a bra at girls at the age of 6 these days, nothing surprises me.

vCash
    Yep, WAY too suggestive. The hip rolls at the end were blatantly sexual. Combined with the costuming, it was in totally bad taste. Had they worn less revealing outfits with tights I'd be more okay with this.

They are all really good dancers. Just not liking that pedophiles could watch this and get off to it. It's right up their alley. Gross.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    My dance company used to go back and do an annual concert at the home town of one of the dancers. We would perform with all these kids aged 5-18. I remember watching the high school age girls doing a really raunchy performance to "Pour Some Sugar on Me" and someone commenting "Their parents must be so happy about all the money they've spent on dance lessons when they watch this." We also thought it was obvious that the girls didn't have the slightest idea what made the moves so sexy.

For this group of obviously much younger girls, I think the moves are fine - some of the booty shaking is a bit skeevy on girls that young, but those are valid hip hop moves at this point. The costumes are what make this really squicky IMO. I don't think there would be the same level of outrage if they'd been wearing full leotards with equally short skirts, minus the burlesque decorations.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I agree with everyone who has said that the costumes are the worst part. A different outfit would have made a huge difference. It's too bad really, they're all very good dancers.

vCash
    really talented girls! eys, the costumes were a bit in bad taste...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast