Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Maxim Staviski

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Your answer could change the face of ice dancing.
    ummm...

Maurizio Margaglio!!

vCash

Who Is The Greatest Ice Dancer Ever

through #22

Oksana 5
    Chris 3
    Olivier 2
    Maia 1
    Maxim 1
    Maurizio 1

Willie, what's your choice, mate--Chris or Marina? It can be only one.

Eurodance2001, Blue Idealist, Simone411, Wyliefan, I didn't get your choices. I assume you were unable to give one. If the tally is incorrect, I'm sure someone will let me know.

vCash
    Chris Dean - great partnering and skating skills, but most importantly, the man changed ice dance through his own vision. Also, what other person could package the Duchenay's and sell that hot mess to a World panel?

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Margaglio for the win!!!

vCash
    If I have to pick one it would be Chris Dean, just because of the impact on the sport.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Male, Chris Dean, female Maia Usova, overall, Chris for the win.
    I agree with Aussie Willy-I couldn't stand Grishuk's legline-and when you're picking for the ages, that matters. Maia's every position was gorgeous, plus she had great expression and ability to convey the character of different dances. And utterly to die for CD's. Grishuk was faster-but if I was picking fast, I'd pick Charlie White, who is not on my top 5 list.

As to why not Klimova, Klimova was a little lacking in that feature. She was at her best being Air (Bach) or Wind (Lawrence of Arabia) or Waltzing Girl or some such abstract concept where the viewer wasn't looking for the dance to have any real character at all, or for the dancer to portray anything but fluid movement. In retrospect, I wonder whether she does not have much imagination.

vCash
    at good ol' Muarizio officially having a vote.

Can I change my official vote to Schoenfelder then, since Grishuk is already so well represented?

vCash
    Pakhomova from female dancers and Din from mail dancers.
    But i think, that Jamy Silverstein had femomenal talent too.
    And Scott Moir too

vCash
    Marina Klimova the best IMHO plus my fav

vCash
    God knows I'm really not the biggest fan, but the person that comes to my mind first - is Tatiana Navka

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artifice View Post
    Probably a real matter of taste since there have been so many great and different dancers.
    I like Oksana Grishuk a lot. Her technic, hability on the ice and her interpretation qualities as well as her particular feeling of the music, are what make me think of her as at least one of the greatest.
    Chris Dean also.
    Marina Klimova.
    Marina Anissina.

But the first who came to my mind is Oksana Grishuk.
    There are many who I think are great, but I cannot help but be biased toward Oksana as well. She helped me choreograph my program a few years ago and I was just in awe at how she moved!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Why does Moir being extraordinary make you want to throw up? Just wondering!

Btw, I can't choose a best. Virtue came to mind first but I dunno, I think I just don't remember the people before 2000 well enough.
    In interviews and such I just find him smarmy and annoying, so it irks me that I find his skating so divine. I think I'm pretty tolerant, and he might actually be the first person I've ever described as "smarmy." It's like when I saw him, I suddenly understood why the word "smarmy" exists. I wish I could hate him, but I can't because he's just so good.

As for not remembering the old skool, I command you to YouTube to watch vids of the top 80s and 90s teams, back when ice dance was Ice Dance!

vCash
    In terms of abilities (at least to my eyes), I'd rank them as following:

Male Ice Dancers
    1. Christopher Dean
    2. Evgeny Platov
    3. Sergei Ponomarenko
    4. Maxim Staviyski
    5. Scott Moir
    6. Povilas Vanagas
    7. Gwendal Peizerat
    8. Olivier Schoenfelder
    9. Alexander Zhulin
    10. Ben Agosto

Female Ice Dancers
    1. Marina Klimova
    2. Oksana Grishuk
    3. Jane Torvill
    4. Tessa Virtue
    5. Tatiana Navka (love her basics but hated most of her material w/ Zhulin)
    6. Albena Denkova
    7. Isabelle Delobel
    8. Marina Anissina
    9. not sure
    10. not sure

I'm very torn in terms of how to rank the top 3 for both lists.

ETA - I should make note that if I combine both lists together, it would look very different. For example, I consider the top 3 from male ice dancers to be above the top 3 female ice dancers. It's also difficult to name just 'one' skater since they skated as a team with their partner.
    Last edited by gk_891; 05-19-2010 at 02:10 AM.

vCash
    I would have loved to have seen what Grishuk and Dean could have done together on ice. What a combo... the wild thing is Platov and Torvill weren't shabby either and certainly weren't carried like some partnerships... *cough* Margaglio, Shabalin *cough*
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    In interviews and such I just find him smarmy and annoying, so it irks me that I find his skating so divine. I think I'm pretty tolerant, and he might actually be the first person I've ever described as "smarmy." It's like when I saw him, I suddenly understood why the word "smarmy" exists. I wish I could hate him, but I can't because he's just so good.

As for not remembering the old skool, I command you to YouTube to watch vids of the top 80s and 90s teams, back when ice dance was Ice Dance!
    I did watch some of stuff from the Duschesnays, Usova and Zhulin, Grishuk and Platov, etc. on youtube in the past, but I don't think seeing it on youtube really gives me the experience of watching the programs in the actual competition, when it was happening. It's interesting to watch programs from, say, 1998 though on youtube again, without being biased toward Bourne and Kraatz - I was only 11 years old then, in love with B&K, and they could do no wrong even if they did. lol.

Btw, I actually think Scott Moir is funny but whatever.. agree to disagree!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    I would have loved to have seen what Grishuk and Dean could have done together on ice. What a combo... the wild thing is Platov and Torvill weren't shabby either and certainly weren't carried like some partnerships... *cough* Margaglio, Shabalin *cough*
    I personally thought Platov was stronger in many respects than Grishuk. His phrasing of the music is much better than Oksana's in that he finishes his moves with better polish. He also has much better discipline when it comes to his back and shoulder posture, his edges, and the position of his free leg (he was perhaps the best in that regard). Grishuk had amazing energy and agility but in terms of ice dance basics, I liked Platov a bit better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    I would have loved to have seen what Grishuk and Dean could have done together on ice.

I can't even imagine it. I don't think those two personalities would have even survived being together for a hour.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    One more for Maxim Staviski and DenSta team

vCash
    Tatiana Navka would easily be getting more votes had she had a better partner, there was a fluidity to her movement that really doesn't get enough notice IMO. She was so good, maybe not as good as Pasha (but she had better lines), but def in my top 3 of all-time.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast