Olivier 3
    Maxim 2
    Angelika 1
    Evgeni 1
    Maia 1
    Marina K 1
    Maurizio 1
    Tatiana 1

Regarding Povilas, are you voting your preference for him as the greatest ice dancer ever--in lieu of being the greatest of his time or greatest male ice dancer? Do you think he is the greatest ice dancer ever?

vCash
    Vanagas was good, but I always found his skating to be a bit heavy and slow, and his style and expression to be somewhat generic. I never felt he pulled off any of the OD styles that believably (for all the bashing of him as a weak partner, Mauri could present a kickass Latin OD and Quickstep/Foxtrot OD), and nothing he did in any of their FDs really stands out to me other than him being a very solid skater and partner. I don't quite see him in the very exceptional Grishuk/Dean range.

I do think he was held back a bit by Drobiazko both technically and stylistically; it was obvious that after the halfway point in the Tango FD that he was pulling her through the difficult parts.

vCash
    Christopher Dean

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Vanagas was good, but I always found his skating to be a bit heavy and slow, and his style and expression to be somewhat generic. I never felt he pulled off any of the OD styles that believably (for all the bashing of him as a weak partner, Mauri could present a kickass Latin OD and Quickstep/Foxtrot OD), and nothing he did in any of their FDs really stands out to me other than him being a very solid skater and partner...

I do think he was held back a bit by Drobiazko both technically and stylistically; it was obvious that after the halfway point in the Tango FD that he was pulling her through the difficult parts.
    Vanagas has beautiful edges, and was very smooth, but I agree that Drobiazko held him back, even more so stylistically than technically, and there was quite a technical gap. It was interesting that he waited for her to match him, somewhat in vain, unlike Virtue and Moir, where Moir was several years ahead of Virtue, who, I think, not only caught up with him but surpassed him this season, and might have last year had she not been injured. (He never held back a thing, even when she looked juniorish by comparison.) She showed glimpses of in the Pink Floyd. I think Vanagas was best in the close-up voidy Rakhama/Kokko shows.

I think it's interesting that some of the dancers cited as best had either visibly weaker partners -- although I enjoyed watching Margoglio so much, regardless of his technical flaws -- or, in the case of Dean, was a creative force in the way his partner wasn't.

For me, it would have been impossible to choose between Klimova and Ponomarenko, and I liked Ovsiannikov as much as Krylova. I don't think Zhulin was particularly weak, but he wasn't as as Usova.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    No votes for Peter Tcherneshev?! I demand a recount!

I'll throw in another vote for Scary Babs.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I am not a fan of Drobiazko/Vanagas. Both him. And her.

Also do not like Barbara Fusar-Poli. She's ok. Margaglio's deficiency made her look that good.Only lasting memory I have of Babs is her horrible dye job in Torino 2006 CD!!

OTOH........Let's discuss the talents. So many talented women!

Tatiana Navka's very CLASSIC skating technique makes me . And her posture too. Very good balance of tension and ease to move like that. That and her divine basic skills. As Natalia Dubova once called her in 2005, "the last ballerina of figure skating".

Pakhamova: the music simply flows from this woman. Her dance abilities were peerless, all aspiring junior dancers should watch her. But voting for her would require me to research all the great predecessors before her.

And of course, Grishuk, Klimova, Krylova. I simply cannot pick!!

ETA.. the Men.

-Olivier Shoenfelder: excellent in skating skills, he and Delobel were the best technicians in the sport for a period of time...butthey were 4th in every single competition they entered. lol.
    But to NITPICK... Olivier is so tall. But he doesn't use his tall height to his advantage IMO hunching down to make a line that doesn't look nice sometimes. That's all.
    My picks:
    -Staviski, Platov, come to mind. And yes, Dean.

Like the ladies I simply can't choose!
    Last edited by piano18; 05-21-2010 at 06:17 AM.

vCash

Who Is The Greatest Ice Dancer Ever?

Through #66

Chris 9
    Oksana 7
    Olivier 3
    Maxim 2
    Angelika 1
    Barbara 1
    Evgeni 1
    Maia 1
    Marina K 1
    Maurizio 1
    Tatiana 1

piano18, I hope you don't vote for president the way you vote for the greatest ice dancer ever--who is your choice, it can only be one?

I cast my vote for Oksana.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    About Virtue and Moir - yes, excellent skills, yes, wonderful lines, flow, speed and whatnot but, gosh, they're just so... boring. No passion. No real expression besides the "oh my, I'm so innocent" look on their faces. There's nothing inside them that makes you feel like you're watching a movie, nothing that makes you feel you've reached to their souls, I don't even know how to explain that, they're just so predictable. They're ballroom dancers, without an ability to show you a story that would melt your heart. And Scott - totally Tessa's shadow for me. No personality of his own on ice at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    In interviews and such I just find him smarmy and annoying, so it irks me that I find his skating so divine. I think I'm pretty tolerant, and he might actually be the first person I've ever described as "smarmy." It's like when I saw him, I suddenly understood why the word "smarmy" exists. I wish I could hate him, but I can't because he's just so good.
    "Smarmy" ITA. And his partner is equally aggravating with her innocent perfection act. Not a fan.

vCash
    Maxim Staviski

Special mention to A. Zhulin (as much as I hate to admit it) and A. Minenkov.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Regarding Povilas, are you voting your preference for him as the greatest ice dancer ever--in lieu of being the greatest of his time or greatest male ice dancer? Do you think he is the greatest ice dancer ever?
    If it was directed at me, I'm not voting at him. I think Dean has made way much of an impact on the sport.

I do think that he deserves a mention and some recognition even if it's outside of your poll.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I saw a movie from Lithuania today called "Vortex" in English, "Duburys" in Lithuanian, which was translated in one review as "water hole". The lead actor, Giedrius Kiela, looked like a cross between Vanagas and Michal Brezina.

Back to the poll.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I remember that french commentator at Eurosport (Philippe Pelissier) used to think that Povilas Vanagas was the best ice dancer of his time, reminiscence of Chris Dean.

Finally On The "Sunny" Side Of The Rockies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I remember that french commentator at Eurosport (Philippe Pelissier) used to think that Povilas Vanagas was the best ice dancer of his time, reminiscence of Chris Dean.
    I remember seeing Drobiazko/Vanagas at Worlds in 96 and thinking that the choreography reminded me of Torvill & Dean. Then I saw Betty Calloway and Christopher Dean at the boards with them. So, is there a coaching/choreography connection to Chris Dean?

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Male: Christopher Dean
    Female: Marina Klimova

vCash
    Male: Christopher Dean, hands down, with Evgeni Platov a close second

Female: Marina Klimova with Maia Usova a close second.

While I love, love Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue, their best days are yet to come. I'm so glad they are continuing. I don't find Scott Virtue smarmy at all. I think he's comedic, and confident, a little cocky, but then he's an Olympic gold medalist, so maybe he has a right to a little cockiness. Maybe that's translated into smarmy for some of you, but I don't see it that way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake3939 View Post
    I remember seeing Drobiazko/Vanagas at Worlds in 96 and thinking that the choreography reminded me of Torvill & Dean. Then I saw Betty Calloway and Christopher Dean at the boards with them. So, is there a coaching/choreography connection to Chris Dean?
    He choreographed for them up until 98 I believe.

vCash
    I've narrowed it down to Grishuk, Dean, Platov, and Klimova.

vCash
    Grishuk it is then.

vCash
    I would say, Grishuk and Platov. Is my fanboyism too obvious?

vCash
    I'm tempted to vote for Torvill and Delobel because they're so underrated compared to their partners...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast