View Poll Results: Who wins 1996 Olympic womens AA with everyone hitting

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Podkopayeva

    3 21.43%
  • Mo Huilan

    11 78.57%
  • other (Amanar, Miller, Dawes, Kochetkova, etc.....)

    0 0%
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,204
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Who wins 1996 Olympic AA with everyone winning

    Who do you believe wins the 1996 Olympic AA with everyone hitting their best routines. It seems there are only 2 neccessary options for this poll.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    745
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Definitely Mo. But the chances of her hitting 4 for 4 were slim to none. I found her almost irritating to watch because of that.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,204
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    This is how I think the judges would have scored them:

    Vault- Lilia 9.825, Mo 9.850
    Bars- Lilia 9.850, Mo 9.850 (ridiculous but based on the scores they were giving)
    Beam- Lilia 9.850, Mo 9.950
    Floor- Lilia 9.900, Mo 9.775

    So I think it could have gone either way with the judges. In the competition itself Mo lost any chance of AA gold with beam dismount since she was never going to be scored anywhere close to Lilia on floor even if she hit perfectly.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    745
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    This is how I think the judges would have scored them:

    Vault- Lilia 9.825, Mo 9.850
    Bars- Lilia 9.850, Mo 9.850 (ridiculous but based on the scores they were giving)
    Beam- Lilia 9.850, Mo 9.950
    Floor- Lilia 9.900, Mo 9.775

    So I think it could have gone either way with the judges. In the competition itself Mo lost any chance of AA gold with beam dismount since she was never going to be scored anywhere close to Lilia on floor even if she hit perfectly.
    It's difficult to say with FX though. When Mo got 9.650 with her FX (with the out of bounds), I thought they took both an OOB deduction as well as one for the step itself (it was a fairly large step after all). Same with Gogean during the FX final, when she took a step OOB on her full in to close, they took both an OOB deduction as well as an additional one for lack of execution. I could be wrong though.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,204
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I agree Mo could have gotten more than a .1 deduction. However in team optionals she hit her best floor routine possible and scored only a 9.775. Scoring was very high in team optionals too on floor as Amanar's 9.887, Gogean's 9.850, and Moceanu's 9.837 all show. Ironically she outscored Lilia in team optionals on floor when Lilia took a big step out of bounds for 9.762.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    745
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I agree Mo could have gotten more than a .1 deduction. However in team optionals she hit her best floor routine possible and scored only a 9.775. Scoring was very high in team optionals too on floor as Amanar's 9.887, Gogean's 9.850, and Moceanu's 9.837 all show. Ironically she outscored Lilia in team optionals on floor when Lilia took a big step out of bounds for 9.762.
    The scoring wasn't generous for the Chinese though (it never was during that time period). And the Chinese team only finished 5th in team compulsories due to some disastrous performances and so they competed in an earlier session when scores were generally tighter (and thus lower). Case in point, Mo's ridiculously low 9.800 for her stunning double twisting Yurchenko. In that era, not being Romanian or American usually hurt your score really badly.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,204
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gk_891 View Post
    The scoring wasn't generous for the Chinese though (it never was during that time period). And the Chinese team only finished 5th in team compulsories due to some disastrous performances and so they competed in an earlier session when scores were generally tighter (and thus lower). Case in point, Mo's ridiculously low 9.800 for her stunning double twisting Yurchenko. In that era, not being Romanian or American usually hurt your score really badly.
    Yeah the Chinese were underscored in Atlanta even when they did well. I still cant imagine Mo getting the score she actually needed to win the AA on floor though (9.862). IMO where she lost the title was on her beam dismount just before that. Her floor error lost her a medal altogether unfortunately.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,204
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Wow a clean sweep for little Mo so far.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,716
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33350
    I just realized the title of this thread says "with everyone winning." LOL!

    I gave the edge to Pod. I think it would have been a dead heat and could have gone either way but I gave her the benefit of the doubt from the judges because she was current World Champion and had proven herself whereas Huilan was always just waiting to get there....and never did.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    329
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Sigh, Mo Huilan. One of my favorite AA gymnasts ever. What could have been...

    I agree, her DTY was really underscored. Such a gorgeous vaulter, and her bars

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,204
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    One thing I am certain of is if Mo and Lilia had hit all their routines with the rotation order they were in Mo would have had a big lead on Lilia going into floor. They both made some mistakes in their first 3 events but Mo with a monstrous step backwards on her beam dismount still was leading Lilia was over 3 tenths. The question is if Lilia would have outscored Mo by enough on floor to overcome whatever lead Mo would have had. As it was Mo had no chance to hold off Lilia even had she hit floor, but she didnt have as much of a lead as what she would have had.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Olympik Voids!
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,998
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    because of floor, I think Lilia would still take it. Mo would've been at least .1 behind there.

    For some reason even with a stuck landing on beam, I don't think Mo would've gone much higher than 9.85 on beam. The judges gave her that score saying "we want to keep you in contention, and the only deduction we saw was your dismount" (much like how Lilia was scored that night on UB), had she stuck the dismount, I think they'd say "your execution was flawless, but your difficulty needs to be higher" and use that as an excuse to mark her lower (like Lilia on UB during EF and TF).

    For some reason the judges did not want to go any higher than 9.9 throughout the whole games when they really had a few instances they could've (Mo VT TF, Kui BB TF, Miller BB EF, Lilia VT 2 AA) and I don't think a hit routine from Mo would've been the one to do it. Yet they set themselves up with some of the scoring throughout the games (Lilia UB and Mo BB AA, Amanar & Milo compulsory UB) making you think they would score VERY high for some routines to come later on that were better, yet they chicken out when it came right down to it.
    Last edited by Karpenko; 05-21-2010 at 09:16 AM.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,204
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Mo at her best would outscore Miller on beam IMHO. Kui got a 9.875 in team optionals (the highest beam score of the Games) too, and I see Mo also outscoring her. I am sure of atleast a 9.9 on beam for her hitting. Even with the false perception of landing deductions (like I said in another thread a regular hop is worth half a tenth at most on non vault events or not even that) the judges would have had to take atleast 1 tenth for such a landing, and probably were supposed to take 2.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •