Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Czisny Article

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
    Czisny's problem isn't her head, it's her scary jump technique. I wish her well, but.... it's probably 5 or 10 years too late for her to fix that, even with a new coach.
    Sadly, that's probably true.

Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    She's already admitted to letting nerves get to her in competition...but I'm sure you know better.
    Did you ever take a close look at her jumps? Her technique is terrible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Hey, if she wants to learn more about algae, more power to her!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/phycologist

How would the phycologist and the new coach work together? Would they just smear algae on Alissa's dress right before her competitions or something? You just never know--that could work wonders.
    i meant psychologist http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Psychologist, Thanks neptune

vCash
    OK, since people are saying Alissa's jump technique is so bad, which jumps are we talking about, and what does she do on those jumps that is such poor technique?

Title-less
    vCash
    I believe the role of a sport psychologist is overstated. Paul Wylie worked with one, but it wasn't until he finished college that he managed to put it together. Rudy Galindo didn't have one I think, but he had to cast aside his personal tragedies and anger and fall in love with skating again to win his 1996 national championship. Jeremy has worked with a psychologist for years but I think he didn't get anywhere until he desired a shot at the Olympics badly enough to fix his 3A and put two clean programs together.
    Last edited by jlai; 05-18-2010 at 02:26 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    OK, since people are saying Alissa's jump technique is so bad, which jumps are we talking about, and what does she do on those jumps that is such poor technique?
    flip - slight lip and she often gets downgraded on it

loop - almost always underrotated because she does the 3 turns before it but it doesn't give her momentum

salchow - she does not attempt it so I assume she has issues with this jump

lutz - edge takeoff is fine but it seems like she can never do 2 clean 3lutzes in a program, one or both she nearly always botches, i've noticed when she messes up her lutzes her weight gets behind her

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I don't see her jump success rate changing until she gets some more muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I know, she looks very thin and waiflike out there compared to the likes of Ashley Wagner and Joannie Rochette.

Really? I don't know, but she looks perfectly healthy to me.
    From Alexei'sgirl's excellent photos on the SOI thread:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31188799&id=1031863565&l=71b40bd335# !/photo.php?pid=31188799&id=1031863565&l=71b40bd335& fbid=1380465584971

I don't think anyone wants another "too thin/too heavy" "weight" thread, and it's probably not your intention to steer it in that direction.
    To the contrary, Alissa continues to be very physically fit and athletic IMHO and to most of her fans and even detractors.
    .......'Nuff said.

Anyway, so far there are 3 camps:
    1) Alissa's jump problems in competition are a "headcase" issue
    2) They are a jump technique issue
    3) Only Alissa knows (or might not) for sure....let's let her and her new coach figure it out the best they can.

BTW, I'm in camp # 3.

Hoping that this SOI tour + new coach + no college classes + "throw caution to the wind" adds up to a very successful GP season for Alissa...especially if she intends for it to be her last one.

Last edited by geod2; 05-19-2010 at 12:33 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    You'd have to pay me to spend a few hours researching that and then doing a write-up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geod2 View Post
    Really? I don't know, but she looks perfectly healthy to me.
    You know how Alissa looks so tall? Well I met her at SOI about a month ago and I was shocked at how small she was. She is petite, about 5'4" and very slender (I thought she was more 5'6" or 5'7" but she isn't). She looks tall because she is so thin. She does not look unhealthy, it's just that many other female skaters are much sturdier/more muscular than her.

Anyway, so far there are 3 camps:
    1) Alissa's jump problems in competition are a "headcase" issue
    2) They are a jump technique issue
    3) Only Alissa knows for sure....let's let her and her new coach figure it out the best they can.

BTW, I'm in camp # 3.
    It's a combination of all 3. Most skaters get nervous, but if they have solid technique then usually nerves alone won't cause them to bomb. If the technique is not as solid, then it isn't fully reliable when nerves kick in. Also, she reworked some of her technique a few years ago and probably alternates between the old and new technique if I had to guess and that throws her off.

Hoping that this SOI tour + new coach + no college classes + "throw caution to the wind" adds up to a very successful GP season for Alissa...especially if she intends for it to be her last one.

I hope so too, but to be honest I'm more interested in the young up-and-coming talent as Alissa realistically won't be sticking around until Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    You'd have to pay me to spend a few hours researching that and then doing a write-up.
    Give me a short run down!

vCash
    From what I can recall, her timing seems way off, on the take-off often, especially on the harder triples.

More specifically, there seems to be a lack of coordination between the take-off main leg, the assist free leg and she seems to take off too late. IIRC.

vCash
    ^But how can you tell that? It's much easier to tell if a skater rushes the timing, but being late? How do you tell that?

vCash
    Correct me if I'm wrong because I am thinking aloud but doesn't rushed timing usually result in a pop and late timing in an underrotated jump/fall?

In any case, it's apparent her timing is very often totally off (whether rushed or late) on the flip and lutz.

Axel technique used to be very scary but she seemed to have fixed that to a large extent before last season.

vCash
    ^Yeah, usually that's the case. But there are many other reasons why a skater can underrotate or pop (like delaying the rotation or slipping off of the toepick)...

But how can you tell if a jump is late? If the skater falls or underrotates? Anything else about her jumps?

Well, yeah her axel used to be very circular until she made it more sqaure last season.

vCash
    It's a combination of all 3. Most skaters get nervous, but if they have solid technique then usually nerves alone won't cause them to bomb. If the technique is not as solid, then it isn't fully reliable when nerves kick in. Also, she reworked some of her technique a few years ago and probably alternates between the old and new technique if I had to guess and that throws her off.
    What gets me is that it's been reported that in practice sessions she can nail her jumps over and over, no problem.
    But I don't know if those who say that have watched enough of her practices to get a big enough sample that accurately represents her practice jump consistency.
    Maybe they only saw her on her good days, maybe not.

Hopefully, Yuka can find an answer.

vCash
    lutz - edge takeoff is fine but it seems like she can never do 2 clean 3lutzes in a program, one or both she nearly always botches, i've noticed when she messes up her lutzes her weight gets behind her
    Alissa landed two successful 3Lz+2T combinations at Worlds 2009 and a 3Lz+2T+2T and a 3Lz at Rostelecom Cup 2009.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    Alissa landed two successful 3Lz+2T combinations at Worlds 2009 and a 3Lz+2T+2T and a 3Lz at Rostelecom Cup 2009.

I know, I know, but I meant on average - she didn't do two at 09 nats, she didn't do two at nebelhorn, she didn't do two at SC, and she didn't do two at 10 nats and even at small competitions she often struggles with the second lutz. She doesn't have a great track record with the two lutzes, or the loop for that matter. Over the past couple years she's been averaging 1-2 falls and 2-3 URs a LP, luckily with the new system the URs won't be as costly as before but she still has plenty to work on. I think speed would maybe help her with the URs and jumps. At least her spins are pretty - between Mirai and Alissa, the US has the best ladies spinners in the world right now.

vCash
    I know, I know, but I meant on average - she didn't do two at 09 nats, she didn't do two at nebelhorn, she didn't do two at SC, and she didn't do two at 10 nats and even at small competitions she often struggles with the second lutz. She doesn't have a great track record with the two lutzes, or the loop for that matter. Over the past couple years she's been averaging 1-2 falls and 2-3 URs a LP, luckily with the new system the URs won't be as costly as before but she still has plenty to work on. I think speed would maybe help her with the URs and jumps.
    Well, you're right. I agree that Alissa doesn't have the best jumping technique, but we can't say it's just her technique. She needs serious help to deal with her nerves. But she's pleasant to watch, even with the falls.

At least her spins are pretty - between Mirai and Alissa, the US has the best ladies spinners in the world right now.
    Sarah Meier is also a great spinner. Not better then Alissa and Mirai, though. Yukari Nakano has the best spins out of the Japanese ladies, in my opinion!

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    flip - slight lip and she often gets downgraded on it

loop - almost always underrotated because she does the 3 turns before it but it doesn't give her momentum

salchow - she does not attempt it so I assume she has issues with this jump

To me, the one thing that's abvious about her poor technique is that she gets very little height on her jumps, so she really depends on fast rotation in the air and the take-off has to be absolutely spot-on for her to JUST get the jump. if the take off is a little off she doesn't get the height she usually gets and regardless on how fast she rotates, she still underrotates and falls. With toe jumps, good technique takes advantage of that toe-pick and gives you good height and good distance across the ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    To me, the one thing that's abvious about her poor technique is that she gets very little height on her jumps, so she really depends on fast rotation in the air and the take-off has to be absolutely spot-on for her to JUST get the jump. if the take off is a little off she doesn't get the height she usually gets and regardless on how fast she rotates, she still underrotates and falls. With toe jumps, good technique takes advantage of that toe-pick and gives you good height and good distance across the ice.
    That's a really good point, I guess I am used to comparing her skating with Caroline so I never noticed her jumps didn't get much height (or that she doesn't skate with much speed either). I think her cautiousness sometimes messes up her timing and that's why she often falters when the nerves set in.

vCash
    I hope so too, but to be honest I'm more interested in the young up-and-coming talent as Alissa realistically won't be sticking around until Sochi.
    But we don't know that.

And I take it neither does she.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast