Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Czisny Article

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missflick View Post

Thank you for that article.

At least we know more about the coaching change and where she ended up in that regard.

Ironic, though, that getting Biontano and Leaver involved was supposed to be about her hearing it said in different words or something like that...the same rationale for her current coaching switch.

The "I got scared" explanation for her Nationals meltdown has a familiar ring to it.

Wishing her the best, and it would be great to see her wonderful style and spins on the competitive ice one more season, but this coaching change all comes very late in the game for her chronologically speaking
    Last edited by geod2; 05-16-2010 at 04:12 PM.

vCash
    I think Czisny's meltdown at nationals can be explained by nearly every US lady skater having their worst ever nationals the year after they win it the first time and/or the first time they are expected to win it. Czisny just had a long ways to fall to have her worst showing

Any way I think Yuka's strong basic's and clam could be the perfect coach for Alissa. I wanted Sasha to go to her for the same reason.

vCash
    I really don't think it's the coaching situation for her.... She really needs a good sports psycologist to help her figure things out....

vCash
    Czisny's problem isn't her head, it's her scary jump technique. I wish her well, but.... it's probably 5 or 10 years too late for her to fix that, even with a new coach.

vCash
    Jeremy had already won nationals the year before he went to Sato and a Grand Prix final. So a ninth place finish at the Olympics and an inability to defend his Grand Prix title (4th), hardly demonstrate that this was such a successful move on his part.
    I wonder why Czisny is continuing. If it is to redeem herself, that could turn out disappointing. That being said, I like to watch her---although invariably disappointed--so I look forward to seeing her new programs and her always beautiful costumes. Her jump technique is scary. It seems to always be like a roll of the dice with a lot of luck needed. Too bad, she couldn't correct it earlier, but if Boitano and Leaver couldn't help her do that, I doubt anyone can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
    Czisny's problem isn't her head, it's her scary jump technique. I wish her well, but.... it's probably 5 or 10 years too late for her to fix that, even with a new coach.
    Maybe Czisny's biggest problem is an inability to identify her problem. Without an accurate diagnosis, you probably won't get very far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
    She's already admitted to letting nerves get to her in competition...but I'm sure you know better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    She's already admitted to letting nerves get to her in competition...but I'm sure you know better.
    I am sure nerves did play a part. But, as much as I love Alissa's skating, it is clear from watching Alissa all these years that she has poor technique on her jumps. I have no doubt that Alissa pulls off her jumps better in practice (most skaters do). The nerves just contribute to her inability to land her poorly executed jumps when she needs to in competition. Perfecting proper jump technique helps a skater land the jumps with or without nerves. I'm sure Alissa knows that her technique is not the best, but it's not something that every skater is able to correct. But Alissa does so many other things so beautifully that she has the capability of doing quite well even when all her jumps aren't landed. I'm glad she's continuing on next season. She's always a pleasure to watch.

O-

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Jeremy had already won nationals the year before he went to Sato and a Grand Prix final. So a ninth place finish at the Olympics and an inability to defend his Grand Prix title (4th), hardly demonstrate that this was such a successful move on his part.
    For Jeremy this is a good mature move. He's gotten to the age when many people are living on their own.

Someone mentioned a while back Alissa's lack of a money jump. Jeremy, despite suffering from nerves, can usually count on his triple flip, triple toe combo and the easier jumps. Alissa doesn't seem to have jumps that she can count on when she's under intense pressure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    For Jeremy this is a good mature move. He's gotten to the age when many people are living on their own.

Someone mentioned a while back Alissa's lack of a money jump. Jeremy, despite suffering from nerves, can usually count on his triple flip, triple toe combo and the easier jumps. Alissa doesn't seem to have jumps that she can count on when she's under intense pressure.
    This is true. I mean, Alissa has issues with her lutz, flip and loop and doesn't attempt a salchow. She has a solid triple toe and her 2a has gotten a lot better recently but that's not enough to go places. She has never had a 3-3 either. To me, her jump technique doesn't look scary (it used to circa 2004-2007 before she worked on her technique) she just never seems to get much height on them and she doesn't have a lot of speed either so the combination just makes for inconsistent jumps. Alissa had great success internationally in 2005 but that was before judges started cracking down on URs, which she is constantly being issued now.

vCash
    Oh. Please just stay pretty and spin.

vCash
    I don't see her jump success rate changing until she gets some more muscle.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    I am sure nerves did play a part. But, as much as I love Alissa's skating, it is clear from watching Alissa all these years that she has poor technique on her jumps. I have no doubt that Alissa pulls off her jumps better in practice (most skaters do). The nerves just contribute to her inability to land her poorly executed jumps when she needs to in competition. Perfecting proper jump technique helps a skater land the jumps with or without nerves. I'm sure Alissa knows that her technique is not the best, but it's not something that every skater is able to correct. But Alissa does so many other things so beautifully that she has the capability of doing quite well even when all her jumps aren't landed. I'm glad she's continuing on next season. She's always a pleasure to watch.

O-

It's definitely in her head. We've seen her give great performances at times and ugly ones at other times... Of course her technique needs some work (although it is better than what it used to be and really one of the biggest issue she has at the moment is her cautiousness and her head bobbing) and she needs to be more forceful and less cautious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I don't see her jump success rate changing until she gets some more muscle.
    I know, she looks very thin and waiflike out there compared to the likes of Ashley Wagner and Joannie Rochette.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Who knows, Maybe Alissa will really blossom during the next quad. She kinda reminds me of Shizuka... unbelievable style and potential, realized reall late in her career (by the sports standards) Shizuka was 23 before she really broke through, and Alissa is 22.

Or she'll be another Sandhu. But I really hope not.

Title-less
    vCash
    For the sake of US figure skating, I want to see some 20-somethings like Czisny do well. Let's face it, the peaking at 15/16 formula won't work for US girls anymore. The team needs a couple of Mirais and some older girls to do well also.

So I hope Forte, Czisny and even Meissner have a good year.

vCash
    OK, let's be real. What is her jump 'technique'? It's nonexistant. Maybe she gets nerves too. But when your basic technique sux, there is no telling how bad every performance will be. It's not in her head, it's the technique she was 'taught' or allowed to get away with. That is the fault of the coach. Too bad she didn't leave that awful coach ten years ago. Alissa is a 'might have been' skater. Yeah, she got a US championship, albeit controversially, but she is just not anyone you can expect to go out and do a good performance. Her coaching and technique are horrific. I wish she'd just retire. She might not even make top ten at Nats next year.

vCash
    She is just 22 (too young!!!) 16 years old girls should not being winning nationas (too young!) anyway...I think she is great but she needs to control her nerves, maybe ths will came with the help of a phycologist or both, a phycologist and a new coach that trougth a new jump tecniche or a rework on her basics can give to her new level of confidence.
    I'm really glad tha she is going to saty, i like her style and her 22 yeas old maturity. It is not to late for her, i wish her some great seasons!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    ...a phycologist and a new coach...
    Hey, if she wants to learn more about algae, more power to her!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/phycologist

How would the phycologist and the new coach work together? Would they just smear algae on Alissa's dress right before her competitions or something? You just never know--that could work wonders.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast