Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title-less
    vCash

Evan Lysacek's mom tells her story of his journey

http://figureskating.teamusa.org/new...35891?ngb_id=3

Sorry if this has been posted

I like this bit:
    “You have to remember that everything has to come from the athlete,’’ Tanya Lysacek said. “It’s their mission, their goal. I did not want to be a second coach. I was just there to be a great listener and to give them love and support.’’

vCash
    Thank you for posting this. She would be wonderful to have as a mother.

vCash
    “You have to remember that everything has to come from the athlete,’’ Tanya Lysacek said. “It’s their mission, their goal. I did not want to be a second coach. I was just there to be a great listener and to give them love and support.’’
    I like this

Thanks for posting this story!

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheriepopo View Post
    I like this

Thanks for posting this story!
    Perhaps she should call Maman Joubert to give her advice (i.e. liberate your petit garcon if you want him to win la medaille d'or).
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    Perhaps she should call Maman Joubert to give her advice (i.e. liberate your petit garcon if you want him to win la medaille d'or).
    exactly what I think

vCash
    deleted, double posting
    Last edited by Jaana; 05-11-2010 at 09:01 AM.

vCash
    I´m not surprised at all that Lysacek has a wonderful and sensible mother. Thanks so much for the link to this great interview!!!

And, as Tanya Lysacek readily points out, it was Evan’s responsibility to wake up at 4:30 in the morning for a practice.

It was never us waking him up,’’ Tanya Lysacek said.

vCash
    Thanks for posting this! I thought this was cute:

As for a Mother’s Day gift this year, Tanya Lysacek said, “He doesn’t have to do anything. He’s already covered Christmas, Valentine’s Day, everything as far as I’m concerned.’’
    Awwww!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Here's a great video interview with Evan's mom.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

vCash
    Nice article. She seems sweet and supportive and not at all controlling or pushy. Good for Evan for having great family support throughout his career.

vCash
    What a nice article, she seems like a great lady. She could hold a clinic for a number of parents out there.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Megi View Post
    Here's a great video interview with Evan's mom.
    This is a great interview.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Great article!! Seems like a smart lady, fabulous mom. That is why Evan is so grounded.
    Hope some of the skating moms of younger up and coming athletes read this articel and take some advice from it.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    "I did not want to be a second coach."
    I bet there are some coaches out there who would like to have that printed out and handed as a leaflet to a lot of skating parents.

vCash
    Wow, this interview impressed me. More moms of skaters need to be like her.

Banned Member
    vCash
    That's why he is a champion. Parents that butt out and know their place are why champions are champions!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I´m not surprised at all that Lysacek has a wonderful and sensible mother. Thanks so much for the link to this great interview!!!
    any one who gets up at 4 30 in the am EVERYDAY deserves to win an OGM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MOIJTO View Post
    That's why he is a champion. Parents that butt out and know their place are why champions are champions!
    I remember back when Pat Lipinski was roaring her obnoxious way into every bit of media attention she could find and Danny Kwan was forcing his daughter to treat the Olympics like a business trip (God forbid she could enjoy herself a bit...) thinking "Geez, I don't recall if Brian Boitano even HAD parents!!!"

I agree with Mojito, and I'm actually happy to see that the trend for the parents to be in the spotlight seems to have passed even with the younger skaters (I barely recall much about either Mirai or Rachel's folks aside from Mirai's mom battling thyroid cancer when Mirai cited it as inspiration). Skating parents could take a strong lesson from Tanya Lysacek. Even if you support it with every fiber of your being, it's your child's dream, not yours. And that makes it extra sweet when it comes true. Bravo Evan, and Bravo Tanya!!!
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOIJTO View Post

I remember back when Pat Lipinski was roaring her obnoxious way into every bit of media attention she could find and Danny Kwan was forcing his daughter to treat the Olympics like a business trip (God forbid she could enjoy herself a bit...) thinking "Geez, I don't recall if Brian Boitano even HAD parents!!!"
    If parents butting out is one reason why champions are champions, then I think it likely that both Pat Lipinski and Danny Kwan are not as interfering as they are often viewed. After all, I think both Tara and Michelle qualify as "champions". However, both Tara and Michelle were (at least in Nagano) significantly younger than Evan -- so a little more parental involvement is (at least IMO) understandable.

Seriously, though, I think that Tanya Lysacek is setting a good example for other parents of adult skaters.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    I agree with Mojito, and I'm actually happy to see that the trend for the parents to be in the spotlight seems to have passed even with the younger skaters (I barely recall much about either Mirai or Rachel's folks aside from Mirai's mom battling thyroid cancer when Mirai cited it as inspiration).
    I can't speak for the female skaters who tend to be underaged,but for male skaters it does seem to be true that many male skaters who fulfill their potential don't have parents who attract atttention in any sort of way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast