Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I recently found that facebook had linked to another email address that I NEVER USED with facebook. But used a computer with that primary email address but never used that email address to connect with facebook.

I changed the password, but if I had the save my password or leave me logged in I am not asked for the new password.

But there is a new feature, if you know about it or discover it by going through the settings that can notify you if a log in has happened at a new location that is not known. Don't know if that works for any system that you might have already been logged into.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Whilst a user does seem to be able to set privacy rules, FB seems to keep doing things like numbers' issue ^ and not telling users. That's just another reason I won't join FB.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyGray View Post
    I love FB and will continue to be vigilant about protecting my privacy (I don't list any personal info like work, schools, birthday, residence, e-mail, etc.,-- I figure that the people who I want to know that information already know that information).
    Same here.

On another Facebook related note, does anyone find rather weird when couples, married or not, write message to each other in the status updates?

vCash
    I closed my FB account eight months ago after being on for two years. I never used third party apps because I didn't want to share my info with total unknowns, add high privacy settings and a very small picture of myself that no one could recognize.

However, he straw that broke it for me was when I realized that they kept all the email addresses in my Outlook contacts list after I did a search for friends through my contacts when I first opened the account.

I found out because I got a "so and so" is now on FB, do you want to friend him? He was an out of town friend and we had no FB friends in common so it took me a while to figure out how they linked us together.

I realized then that I had offered them addresses of people that might never have wanted FB to "own" their information. And they kept it for TWO YEARS in their database, they could keep it forever and we would never know what they did with it.

I had also heard that the copyright of any picture you post automatically reverts to Facebook and I didn't appreciate this at all either.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Desperado;2761520
    However, he straw that broke it for me was when I realized that they kept all the email addresses in my Outlook contacts list after I did a search for friends through my contacts when I first opened the account. [/QUOTE]

My sister had a similar problem. You should never, ever give them your email password. In my sister's case, they sent a friend request to everyone in her address book, so she ended up with friends she didn't want.

I hope you deleted everything off your account before you closed it - it's the only way to get rid of information.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    On another Facebook related note, does anyone find rather weird when couples, married or not, write message to each other in the status updates?
    Yes. Very. Especially married couples who have entire conversations on their walls when it is apparent that they are at home using separate computers to do so.

Also, people who post messages to their small children who cannot read as their statuses. As in "Happy 1st b-day, baby Johnny. Mommy loves you!"
    Uh...baby does not have an account and cannot read yours. Why don't you just tell us that it is baby's 1st b-day since it is obvious that you posted this so we would know that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Yes. Very. Especially married couples who have entire conversations on their walls when it is apparent that they are at home using separate computers to do so.
    It is just odd and can't make for a healthy marriage.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I don't think it's odd for couples to post on their FB profiles at all...so many people post to FB from their phones now. now, if it's all smooshy, TMI stuff about how awesome they are as a couple...gag. But that would be gag-worthy even if only one person in the couple is posting it.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I realized then that I had offered them addresses of people that might never have wanted FB to "own" their information. And they kept it for TWO YEARS in their database, they could keep it forever and we would never know what they did with it.
    If you added an ex-friend to your e-mail address book years ago, subsequently blocked him because you had a falling out but you forgot to purge him from your address book, he will be invited to your FB account if you give FB your e-mail password. FB will not notice that you blocked this person, it will just automatically invite all the names in your address book.

vCash
    I recently realized that lots of skaters seem to be accepting absolutely anybody and everybody who asks to friend them. And these don't seem to be facebook accounts that are similar to an official site - with only skating/public information, but their own personal accounts, with private family pictures and stuff relating to their SO's.

Is it just me - this seems so weird and creepy, not to mention stupid.

vCash
    I am amazed at what folks post on Facebook and then they act upset that it gets out.

My "profile" and postings contain NOTHING that I would be the least bit concerned about if it the whole world saw them...

My name is the only "personal" thing on there

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    My husband doesn't have a Facebook page, so we don't do that, but we have been known to email each other while we're both in the house, and sometimes I post things on my kids' Facebook pages while they are in the house, too.

With my husband, it happens when we are both working on stuff--I will grading papers on one of the upstairs computer and he will be working on homework on one of the computers downstairs. Sure, we could get up and have a face-to-face conversation, but it's faster and less disruptive to email. Sometimes we are talking about things regarding the children we don't want them to overhear--and it's hard to do that in our particular house.

With the kids, I post in response to something they say on Facebook, so it seems like Facebook is the best place to put it. I will say that we don't have entire conversations that way, but occasional comments back and forth, sure. And I would probably do the same with my husband if he had a Facebook page (not likely) and if he ever posted on it (even less likely).

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    It is just odd and can't make for a healthy marriage.
    Why? Sincere question; if I'm doing something unhealthy, I'd like to know what it is.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I just change my settings to what I want for each thing. I have quite a few friends I've met over forums and I let them see certain photos, but some photos I only allow family to see for example. Some I even allow friends of friends or everybody depending on what it is, but I definately change each and everything according to what it is... every single status and note I take the time to set the appropriate privacy level for. It works for me.

I make half my living designing games for facebook so I can't quit it haha!

vCash
    I've always instant messaged everyone and anyone, (husband, kids grandkids) in the same house.

I'll be upstairs, they'll be downstairs, working or whatever and just need to say a word or two, why get up? Or yell through the house?

And as far as facebook, my husband never had one, but I comment on the kid's stuff all the time. Even if they're right beside me.

It just occurred to me all I had to post was :

^^same

to Prancer's post.

I think it's quite common in most households.

vCash
    we frequently text or email when we are in the same house. His office is in another part of the house and generally he has his music up loud. He keeps the door to the office closed as a way to regulate the temperature and often does not hear the doorbell. Yelling or intercoming isn't nearly as effective. husband does not have a facebook page.

I do communicate to our kids via status updates on facebook, but then they are all out of our house and in their own homes.

The older kids adhere to the grandpa rule. Would they want grandpa to read it - yes, then it goes on - no, then they don't post. The youngest and his wife have not learned the grandpa/grandma rule. And what they post is . I have had to recommend that they remove something or consider consequences of posting that.

By the way - This morning I found a setting that I think will be most useful, if I ever think my account has been compromised. Under account settings, account security, click change, selected the "would I like to receive notifications for login's from new devices?" Now I will get notifications of whenever I logon to facebook from a workstation other than my primary one. And if someone has been logging on to my facebook account with my previous password, it has been changed to something that someone would need to know about a specific childhood experience of mine plus some numbers.
    Last edited by numbers123; 05-16-2010 at 02:27 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    I had also heard that the copyright of any picture you post automatically reverts to Facebook and I didn't appreciate this at all either.
    From FB's terms:

For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.
    I absolutely hate this phrase and the only pictures I upload are the ones in which I paste smiley face on top of mine. Now, the problem is when I'm tagged by friends in their pictures.

I'm inclined to believe that while the material is deleted, I doubt that those photos are permanently deleted like they suggest in term number 2. I'm inclined to believe that it's still stored in their database. Why? When you terminate your account, your info is still there for 14 days in the event that you change your mind. Even then, if the 14 days pass, I still think it's there. Call me crazy.

vCash
    I've had friends delete and reactivate their accounts with months in between and all their old tags automatically show up again in my pictures of them and whatnot. So I would agree with you that it's still there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Why? Sincere question; if I'm doing something unhealthy, I'd like to know what it is.
    I just find it odd that people put the these types of posts on their walls instead of sending a private message.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    My husband doesn't have a Facebook page, so we don't do that, but we have been known to email each other while we're both in the house, and sometimes I post things on my kids' Facebook pages while they are in the house, too.

Wsure. And I would probably do the same with my husband if he had a Facebook page (not likely) and if he ever posted on it (even less likely).

Email is private. As is IMing. We're talking about the people having a conversation on a FB wall for everyone to see. And not wife posted a link and husband comments. I have seen, literally, conversations about what's for dinner or who's picking up the kids and such things. On a FB wall. One posting from the kitchen and the other from the living room. Conversations that go on for ten or twelve comments. Someone get up and go in the other room because your friends do not care about it. Or at least use the IM. Also, the mushy crap. "Happy anniversary to the best husband/wife ever" and that sort of thing. Just like the posts to babies, they are just trying to tell us all it is their anniversary. So why don't they just post that.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I have seen, literally, conversations about what's for dinner or who's picking up the kids and such things. On a FB wall. One posting from the kitchen and the other from the living room. Conversations that go on for ten or twelve comments. Someone get up and go in the other room because your friends do not care about it. Or at least use the IM.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I don't care about most of what people post on their Facebook pages and I always assume no one cares about most of mine, either. If I am not interested in what someone is posting, I scroll on by, just like I do here. For one thing, I don't see much point in reading 10-12 posts that don't concern me--which applies equally well to any FB conversation on someone else's wall that doesn't concern me, whatever it may be about.

It seems to me that a Facebook page is there for the convenience of the person who owns the page, not for entertainment of the "Friends." A lot of my "Friends" use Facebook to make arrangements for things like meeting for dinner or to talk about softball games I don't attend or to post comments meant for a subset of their Friends' list that I'm not part of; I don't see much difference between that and posting about what's for dinner. It's a discussion between the people involved; does it really matter if they are sitting right beside each other or three states apart?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast