Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    My bet is that Gilleron will get Junior Worlds and Meite and Silete will get Europeans.
    I second that. I'm afraid for Lena Marrocco...I hope she will do well at Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    The top 4 ladies were competing this weekend at various events:

Mae Berenice Meite 145.44 (TEB)
    Lénaelle Gilleron-Gory 142.50 (Merano Cup)
    Yretha Silete 135.90 (TEB)
    Lena Marrocco 126.97 (TEB)

I still think it's a toss-up for the 1 Worlds spot depending on Nationals...(or even a skate-off at Europeans for the 2 entrants)
    I think even if Gory wins nationals, she will be sent to Junior Worlds, like Silete was last season. Meite IMO is a lock for Europeans and is the most likely Worlds candidate, however as I'm guessing Silete will be the 2nd Europeans entrant, if she finishes ahead of Mae there and/or at Nationals, I could see her being sent instead. I think if they both were to skate clean, Silete would actually score higher, maybe I'm biased but I think she is better than Meite when she's "on", trouble is Meite is more consistent.

Unfortunately I don't think things look good for Marrocco, however if she skates well at Nationals she has a decent shot at Euros. For me though if all 4 girls were to skate clean, Silete would come out on top.

vCash
    AFAIK, Candice Didier intends to compete this season. Based on their top scores last season, there are at least five women who could win Nationals this year.

vCash
    Candice Didier has made no improvment in the consistency area. From what I've seen from her the most recently she hasn't improve in any of the areas she usually has trouble on : consistency, choreography, interpretation. Other French girls have passed her in all these areas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artifice View Post
    Candice Didier has made no improvment in the consistency area. From what I've seen from her the most recently she hasn't improve in any of the areas she usually has trouble on : consistency, choreography, interpretation. Other French girls have passed her in all these areas.
    That may all be true. However, Candice Didier earned a score of 144.08 at last season's Winter Universiade, and that was after coming back from injuries. As far as I know, the only active Frenchwoman who has a higher score in International competition is Méité.

Don't write Didier off just yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I think even if Gory wins nationals, she will be sent to Junior Worlds, like Silete was last season. Meite IMO is a lock for Europeans and is the most likely Worlds candidate, however as I'm guessing Silete will be the 2nd Europeans entrant, if she finishes ahead of Mae there and/or at Nationals, I could see her being sent instead. I think if they both were to skate clean, Silete would actually score higher, maybe I'm biased but I think she is better than Meite when she's "on", trouble is Meite is more consistent.

Unfortunately I don't think things look good for Marrocco, however if she skates well at Nationals she has a decent shot at Euros. For me though if all 4 girls were to skate clean, Silete would come out on top.
    I agree about Yretha. IMO, she is actually the best french ladies skater. Too bad her basics are not that good and she is not consistent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    If they were going to accept three events, because as a team who placed 4-6 at Worlds, they had to go up against D/W and V/M at least once, since they could only go up against the Shibs a maximum of two times. However, the Shibs did back-to-back CoC and NHK, and that would have been a three-in-a row slog with TEB at the end.

The French Fed may have had little choice, if they were last to choose each round. Or do P/B think the FF still is punishing them? I'm sure they would have loved to visit Moscow, especially with the Bolshoi open, which would still have pitted them up against D/W, but last year, their strategy was to get feedback early and often, and they train in NA, making SA and SC logical choices and giving them time to integrate feedback into their programs before TEB. The Russian Federation chose their own 4-6 team (B/S) and would have had every incentive to protect B/S at their own event against a team that is likely to beat them.

With three events, they should not have been in any danger of not making GPF, since they should have had at least three silvers and high scores for a tie-break.
    Right, as 4th at worlds P/B were seeded, so they HAD to be against D/W or V/M at their two definite GP events (and D/W get first choice, V/M second). It's an ISU thing, not the French fed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    That may all be true. However, Candice Didier earned a score of 144.08 at last season's Winter Universiade, and that was after coming back from injuries. As far as I know, the only active Frenchwoman who has a higher score in International competition is Méité.

Don't write Didier off just yet.
    I just hope for Didier she doesn't waste her time for something she can't handle. At her age it's time to improve and make a big step forward, or to simply move on in her life.
    I don't like to see skaters or athletes sticking in an impossible goal and lose other more important opportunities for them.

vCash
    The problem with Candice is that she's stuck with the Français Volants in Bercy.
    But there is nothing interesting in Bercy, nothing that would have helped her to develop when it was still time.
    Right now, she's mainly a "sparring partner" for Méité.

And given Gailhaguet's new pet idea (sending figure skaters to train abroad), I wouldn't bet on Maé staying in Bercy next year (if Galhaguet is his persuasive self). IF Maé gets her baccalauréat - highschool final diploma - next June, her parents should be more open to her training abroad (not with Morozov, not with Morozov *praying*).

I wouldn't bet on the interest of Candice's coach beyond her role with Maé. If there is no Maé ...
    And since the whole Bercy complex will undergo a major renovation in 2014 and 2015, I don't even know what the Français Volants club will do then.
    Anyway, Candice is a university student (in biology ?). When she'll get tired of figure skating, she'll just stop.

BTW, I've read in L'Equipe that the FFSG has inked a contract with Eurosport covering the same period than the contract between Eurosport and the ISU for the TEB (2 years ago (?), Eurosport France was the only Eurosport branch to not broadcast the TEB, due to FFSG's contracts with other channels). I can't remember perfectly how long was that contract but for sure, it was lasting beyond Sotchi. So European fellows, we can rejoice, we have several seasons of GP covered by Eurosport ahead.

vCash
    I'm seriously worried about French ice dance after Natalie & Fabien will finish on 2014.
    Carron/Jones appear to go backwards judged by the performance of yesterday.
    Zahorski/Miart did not yet make an appearance this season.
    This leaves Papadakis/Cizeron to fly the flag for France, and they stagnated this season.
    I don't understand how French ice dance deteriorated of just these couples.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MattieuM View Post
    I don't understand how French ice dance deteriorated of just these couples.
    IMO the were way too many breakups! If the reason is because the skaters didn't get along it's fine, but I have the feeling that sometimes they did not look at the bigger picture. Just one example : Neil Brown & Maureen Ibanez (who won jr Nats in 2008 and finished 11th at Jr Worlds) looked very promising but since Maureen was too old to skate as a junior anymore, Neil searched for a younger partner. For what? Two partners in 3 years and he finished 10th with G.Bott at Jr Worlds in 2010 which is only 1 spot higher than his result in 2008!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertango View Post
    IMO the were way too many breakups! If the reason is because the skaters didn't get along it's fine, but I have the feeling that sometimes they did not look at the bigger picture. Just one example : Neil Brown & Maureen Ibanez (who won jr Nats in 2008 and finished 11th at Jr Worlds) looked very promising but since Maureen was too old to skate as a junior anymore, Neil searched for a younger partner. For what? Two partners in 3 years and he finished 10th with G.Bott at Jr Worlds in 2010 which is only 1 spot higher than his result in 2008!
    Interestingly, Brown is now skating for CZE with Mysliveckova. They are listed on the entries for the Golden Spin of Zagreb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmsis View Post
    The problem with Candice is that she's stuck with the Français Volants in Bercy.
    But there is nothing interesting in Bercy, nothing that would have helped her to develop when it was still time.
    Right now, she's mainly a "sparring partner" for Méité.
    Mae is not in Bercy all the time. She still skates in Vitry. Vitry seems important for her. I don't know what she'll decide later.

vCash
    I've been catching up on videos of the GP, and I just want to say that I love Alban's commentary on Eurosport. I wish he and Géraldine could do all the events together - just the two of them...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Celine82 View Post
    I've been catching up on videos of the GP, and I just want to say that I love Alban's commentary on Eurosport. I wish he and Géraldine could do all the events together - just the two of them...
    No no and no. He's too nice. Too sweet. I want Philippe Pélissier !!!
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    No no and no. He's too nice. Too sweet. I want Philippe Pélissier !!!
    I don't mind Philippe Pélissier's grumpiness and constant negativity. Obviously he knows singles skating inside out. However he shouldn't comment on ice dance. He doesn't know about it, he doesn't seem to follow it and he feeds the audience an incredible amount of wrong information about the rules.

vCash
    Most of the time, I also don't mind Pélissier putting down half the skaters at the end of the programs. My main issue is when he starts rambling about costumes and music and painting and literature and what-not for minutes on end during the programs... and it's become more and more frequent. He used not to say a word during the programs - I wish he could go back to that.

vCash
    Most of the time, I also don't mind Pélissier putting down half the skaters at the end of the programs. My main issue is when he starts rambling about costumes and music and painting and literature and what-not for minutes on end during the programs... and it's become more and more frequent. He used not to say a word during the programs - I wish he could go back to that.
    Well, with time, I guess it won't get any better. IMO, he was at his best as a commentator during 1998-2002. It's getting worse and worse every year.
    I loved his comments, because he really pointed out the good and the bad. Now, I have the feeling that he pays more attention to the atmosphere to comment, not really to the skating.

Plus, he doesn't know any skater anymore, he has no news about them, he has no news about the federation...

Anyway, I don't have Eurosport France anymore. lol
    About ice dancing, I don't know if Alban knows much about that !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    About ice dancing, I don't know if Alban knows much about that !
    What bothers me about Pélissier is not that he doesn't know about ice dance, but rather that he invents rules based on hearsay - where he doesn't know them - and wuzrobs some of the couples based on such imaginary criteria. He speaks with a lot of authority, so surely people believe his BS.

OTOH he has aesthetic sense and hates the Morozov-type tasteless programs, which is great.

vCash
    I'd take Pelissier's rambling over Nelson Monfort's rambling ANY day!

About him not quite knowing the rules, I think he does not quite get COP. For example he often says thing like : X is a good jumper so he'll get a high TES and Y is a good spiner so he'll get high PCS. But spins are a part of TES too!

Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast