Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    So far so good-the prologue is well written and now onto the skating teams.

vCash
    I liked it very much. I found the background of all 3 pairs pretty interesting, but what dismayed me was that she strongly insinuated that Tamara Moskvina knew of the abuse Elena suffered and looked the other way, until her horrific accident. Also, it would seem that Anton was a bit hot-headed and difficult in his own way. Kind of made me disgusted at the thought of this very young, easily intimidated girl in the hands of badly behaved men.

I have nothing nice to say about S & P---so I'll say nothing

The story of Shen and Zhao was very interesting and I felt sorry for the young and poor Shen Xue. Happy ending there, though!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pairsskater View Post
    but what dismayed me was that she strongly insinuated that Tamara Moskvina knew of the abuse Elena suffered and looked the other way, until her horrific accident.
    According to the book, Moskvina was working with Sikharulidze to get Berezhnaia out of the abusive partnership and relationship, and this was planned for after Euros. Her former partner slashed her head open during a practice for the competition.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    According to the book, Moskvina was working with Sikharulidze to get Berezhnaia out of the abusive partnership and relationship, and this was planned for after Euros. Her former partner slashed her head open during a practice for the competition.
    Yes, I know..I read the book. But it seemed to me she knew about and didn't do anything but disapprove. The abuse was evident and I got the feeling that he just got away with it. Elena didn't have a parent there to protect her and Tamara didn't react until it was too late. Somehow, I just got the feeling from the book that these men skaters could behave has they pleased--you know, a boys will be boys attitude.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Not to sound cold, but what was she supposed to do? She didn't really have any authority over Shlyakov, and if she kicked him out Elena would have gone with him (which was pretty clear in the book.) Yes, the men could do as they pleased, though not as much as in Moscow (which is also evident in Katia Gordeeva's book--no abuse, but the Moscow school pretty much was an army camp.) What else could she have done? I hate to tell you this, but the police weren't going to care or do a damn thing even if someone HAD complained.

vCash
    It's worth the read for the early history of Shen/Zhao alone.
    This. It made me love them even more. The part about little Xue's bleeding feet and her dad sharing their one dumpling

vCash
    This was a great book-not just a good figure skating book or a good sports book but a good book period. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for all the recommend posts! She was really good at describing and researching what the pairs were feeling when the skated in the free skates. Learned a lot about the training aspects and about Canada, Russia, and China skating history and also political history in Chiina. I mean skaters are bad at some points during the cultural revolution but then they perform in front of the communist leadership-so arbitrary.

About the mistakes-Shen Xue is described as being born in 1980 or 1981 and that was wrong.

Lots of talk about the throw quad salchow with the Shen and Zhao and the training for it is so brutal. I couldn't help but think of Tamara Moskvina coaching Kavaguti and Smirnov and her going through the training of it and now how she is like Bin was a little bit now in trying get wins by doing that.

There is also the stuff about the Russian men in pairs being so consistent and the jumpers and lots of time the women weren't always good there. That made me think of Trankov's reaction when he fell at the Olympic short program!

I wish the author talked more about the short programs and the other judges who voted for B/S in pairs and not just the french judge. Like I have in other places it was just a taste thing when it came to eastern judges and western judges.

I feel like David Pelletiers reaction in the Kiss and cry was expalined by going into his short temper a lot. She also doesn't mention what I read in the New York Times about how even if the french judge vote was ruled invalid that would have made a tie which was to be broken by the short program which the Russians won 6/3.

But very good book worth reading!!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    She also doesn't mention what I read in the New York Times about how even if the french judge vote was ruled invalid that would have made a tie which was to be broken by the short program which the Russians won 6/3.
    The problem was there was neither precedent nor codified procedure for determining who should have won in this case, not for the solution mentioned in the Times, not for replacing LeGougne's marks with the substitute judge's, and not for any other proposed solution.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    The problem was there was neither precedent nor codified procedure for determining who should have won in this case, not for the solution mentioned in the Times, not for replacing LeGougne's marks with the substitute judge's, and not for any other proposed solution.
    Oh-the substitiute judge was mentioned briefly but I forgot about that part. Yeah so the ISU just created its own solution very clearly.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    One that managed to piss everyone off.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    One that managed to piss everyone off.
    And screw both pairs. What was really made clear from the testimony (besides that there was indeed funny business and vote-trading going on) was that $peedy and Co. did not give a crap about either couple, the media, or even who won what medal. All they cared about was not having to answer to the CAS and the IOC and that they didn't lose their jobs.

vCash
    I agree with the above posters who enjoyed the youth and training stories of the pairs, they were very well done.

Also of interest and fairly new: Figure Skating's Greatest Stars by Steve Milton. It has much more anecdotal history then the mere listing of wins in paragraph form as seen in Hines' Figure Skating: A History.

Our library has Milton's book listed as YA, but it was an enjoyable and informative read for this 38 year old.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I agree with the above posters who enjoyed the youth and training stories of the pairs, they were very well done.

Also of interest and fairly new: Figure Skating's Greatest Stars by Steve Milton. It has much more anecdotal history then the mere listing of wins in paragraph form as seen in Hines' Figure Skating: A History.

Our library has Milton's book listed as YA, but it was an enjoyable and informative read for this 38 year old.
    I was all set and ready to buy Milton's book until he got into his whole Sale/Pelltier were robbed in SLC spiel and I just couldn't financially support it any more.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12