Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Go for it, Tomas!!!

I'm sure he can be great again one day. He has it all somewhere inside him, so the only thing to do is just to get it back and be a rockstar again I wouldn't mind him winning the Euros once again... and then again... and again...

vCash
    Wonder if he's going to continue choreography with Lori Nichol. New choreography from David Wilson or Kurt Browning could be amaaazing...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Ooohhh, he mentioned trying Detroit . . . imagines Jeremy Abbott and Tomas Verner in the same training rink and books a ticket to the motor city STAT! I would LOVE for both Jeremy and Tomas to finally realize their enormous talents at the World Championships. Abbott & Verner for the World podium!!!
    Yes, to see the World podium with Abbott, Verner and... let's say Takahashi again... for one day Harmony in the World will be restored. And then to see Lambiel be a special guest at the Exhibition.

vCash
    I saw Tomas in practice at Worlds a couple of years ago. He was amazing. We were all sure that he would land on the podium based on what we saw in practice. Something went missing between the practice sessions and competition. It was very sad and I hope he can figure it out becuase he has so much talent.
    Mostly I am glad he's not quitting so hopefully he will get it together! He surely has the ability.

vCash

Smile

Go Tomas
    Last edited by Helenista; 05-14-2010 at 04:57 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Ooohhh, he mentioned trying Detroit . . . imagines Jeremy Abbott and Tomas Verner in the same training rink and books a ticket to the motor city STAT! I would LOVE for both Jeremy and Tomas to finally realize their enormous talents at the World Championships. Abbott & Verner for the World podium!!!
    I wonder if Jeremy and Tomas do/would get along? They both seem to be jokesters with similar personalities (also: hyperactive kiss + cry antics), but I've never heard them mention each other... although they've stood on the same podium. Detroit sounds like a fun training environment, from what I've gleaned on the internets at least.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    But I'm glad Tomas is trying new things. And I like that he's saying that he doesn't know if it will work out or not, but he's willing to try it out. Really, it's the start of a new quadrennial, so the best time to try things out, and after last season, really, what does he have to lose?
    I agree. It's a perfect time to take a risk like this, and the change alone may give him a whole new perspective on his career.

I have a good feeling about this move!
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Helenista View Post
    I saw Tomas in practice at Worlds a couple of years ago. He was amazing. We were all sure that he would land on the podium based on what we saw in practice. Something went missing between the practice sessions and competition. It was very sad and I hope he can figure it out becuase he has so much talent.
    Mostly I am glad he's not quitting so hopefully he will get it together! He surely has the ability.
    Although he was great in those World practices, maybe in his every day training he just does not do enough complete run-throughs of his programmes? In competitions as one is bound to be nervous, one can kind of rely on the muscle memory from those countless run-throughs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kimkom View Post
    I agree. It's a perfect time to take a risk like this, and the change alone may give him a whole new perspective on his career.

I have a good feeling about this move!
    I'm not sure how this is a risk for him at this point. Something was clearly not working in his training evironment (whatever it was). And he's now no longer even Czech's no 1 skater. He'd be a fool if he stayed. Of course Tomas is extremely talented and I hope a change will do him some good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Although he was great in those World practices, maybe in his every day training he just does not do enough complete run-throughs of his programmes? In competitions as one is bound to be nervous, one can kind of rely on the muscle memory from those countless run-throughs.
    he did them, nearly every day, since 2008 worlds...
    last year he just had the problem of never really being fit...
    "it doesn't matter if you love what you do, but that you do what you love"
    a quote Tomas Verner () gave me to think about...

vCash
    He has lots to give.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    And he's now no longer even Czech's no 1 skater.
    And that breaks my heart as well, cause (when fit) he has so much more on-ice personality and better interaction with the audience than Brezina, not to mention the quads. I really hope he can reclaim that title one day, though I know it will be hard considering Michal's improvement.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Wasn't he ill for a good part of last season?
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Wasn't he ill for a good part of last season?
    Yes, he had the flu in the fall, so realisitically it was likely H1N1, it started around Skate America where he looked so tired and sick and he was still under the weather at the GPF where he had moments of brilliance but bombed overall. He appeared to have lost a lot of weight and I think having Brezina beat him at nationals and Euros messed with his confidence and the combination was just not good.

So happy for him though, I really think this is a good decision and that he will be able to work out his issues. He is soo talented it's a shame to see him struggle. I would love to see both Tomas and Michal medal at Worlds next year and make their home country proud. Good luck Tomas!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    And that breaks my heart as well, cause (when fit) he has so much more on-ice personality and better interaction with the audience than Brezina, not to mention the quads. I really hope he can reclaim that title one day, though I know it will be hard considering Michal's improvement.
    By all accounts though Brezina has the quad toe and quad sal, and I read he's planning on adding quads to his programs next season. I also think Brezina has the capablity potential to be a good performer. He tries to relate to the audience etc, its the choregraphy that's an issue (for me) Perhaps Tomas being challenged this way, is what is causing him to make the changes he desperately needs to make. But I wouldn't be surprised if Brezina continues to rise in the ranks.

Honestly though maybe just maybe another one of his countrymen becoming very successful was the kick in the butt Tomas needed to make some changes.
    Last edited by bek; 05-15-2010 at 09:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Yes, he had the flu in the fall, so realisitically it was likely H1N1, it started around Skate America where he looked so tired and sick and he was still under the weather at the GPF where he had moments of brilliance but bombed overall. He appeared to have lost a lot of weight and I think having Brezina beat him at nationals and Euros messed with his confidence and the combination was just not good.
    Well... From what I heard he was tested for H1N1 after SA (where IIRC he skated with a 39C fever) and it wasn't that. Anyway, after SA he was in bed for 5 days and then he did decide to do GPF and Cze nationals. He never really had time to properly recover.
    Besides that he had another kind of flu over christmas and lost 3 kilo....he only started training again about 1.5 weeks before Europeans.

Actually last april he told me he was going to the hospital again, to find out why he had been so weak/sick all season long. I don't know what came out of that however...
    "it doesn't matter if you love what you do, but that you do what you love"
    a quote Tomas Verner () gave me to think about...

vCash
    By all accounts though Brezina has the quad toe and quad sal, and I read he's planning on adding quads to his programs next season.
    Really? Wow. If he does have some strong quads in his programs, he'll be very successful, as his style obviously wins the judges (me not so much). But, hey, I say go for it, Michal. We really need some strong quad quys with good components these days. I'd prefer Tomas to be that guy, though.
    Anyway, I would really love to see those two compete against each other when they're both fit and do their best. That could be really fascinating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    Really? Wow. If he does have some strong quads in his programs, he'll be very successful, as his style obviously wins the judges (me not so much). But, hey, I say go for it, Michal. We really need some strong quad quys with good components these days. I'd prefer Tomas to be that guy, though.
    Anyway, I would really love to see those two compete against each other when they're both fit and do their best. That could be really fascinating.
    I think Brezina's choregraphy will improve in time though. He mentioned in an interview that right now he can't afford to work with the best choregraphers (In North America) but I suspect once he starts earning more money that the choregraphy will improve.

Tomas is great, but I'm not sure he'll ever be a great competitor. It would be wonderful though to see him pull a Buttle because he's a great skater.

vCash
    I think Brezina's choregraphy will improve in time though. He mentioned in an interview that right now he can't afford to work with the best choregraphers (In North America) but I suspect once he starts earning more money that the choregraphy will improve.

Tomas is great, but I'm not sure he'll ever be a great competitor. It would be wonderful though to see him pull a Buttle because he's a great skater.
    Tomas can't pull a Buttle. Buttle managed to win without a quad, but if Tomas wins, it will be very likely with the quad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Tomas can't pull a Buttle. Buttle managed to win without a quad, but if Tomas wins, it will be very likely with the quad.
    Thinking of Buttle, I kind of think he'd be a good choreographer choice for Tomas, and if Tomas is already going to be in Toronto...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast