Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Tomas to train overseas in summer

http://sport.idnes.cz/budu-se-pripra...522_sporty_fil

translation:

Tomas to train overseas in summer

"It's time to try something new" he said to himself. The olympic season wasn't exactly succesfull for Tomas and that prompted him to some radical changes.The European Champion of 2008 decided to atleast temporarily cancel the cooperation with trainers Vlasta Koprivova and Michael Huth.

Instead of going to Oberstdorf to prepare himself for the upcoming season, Tomas decided to have a look overseas.

"I decided, that I want to try out the system of training they use overseas. I don't know if this will be good or bad for me, that's why I first want to try it. I will go to a couple of places and try it out" said Verner

The main difference will be that he won't have a trainer all to himself. Untill now he always had 100% attention from the trainer.

"Canadian/American attitude is that there is a trainer, but just supervise and make appropriate cofrrection when they see a problem. For the rest the girls and the boys just skate and focus by themselves." said the 23 year old figure skater about the difference between Europe and the USA.

His trainers Mrs. Koprivova and Mr. Huth are at peace with his decision. "They understand me and we didn't part in a bad way. With Mrs Koprivova I anyway still work together. I will be on ice with her in May and June and then I will fly away" said Tomas.

However he does not know yet if he will stay there or return to his trainers here in Europe.

"I don't know if I will like it overseas or not. When I will like it there, I will stay there. If not, I will come back here and train with my old team. " said Tomas

He will come back from training in the US and Canada at the beginning of september. The exact program now is that he will try out in Toronto, New Jersey and Detroit.

"I will be at every location for about a week or 10 days. I want to try out everything, so I can see even off the ice, how everything works." said Verner, who at one point even train with legendary coach Brian Orser, coach of Olympic gold medalist Yu-na Kim.

Verner also decided to work on the psychological aspect, which failed him already a couple of times.

"I am taking more extreme steps than I ever did. I didn't wanna tell everyone about it though untill now. I started to work with a person now who doesn't really have the classical approach to this problem" said Tomas.

The new method will involve training, not sitting, or so he heard. "We will see what it will bring me. I still have a month and a half and I have really high expectations of this" Said Tomas. His new psychologist otherwise devotes his time to boxers and wrestlers.

In summer tomas will work on his new programs. "I want to enter the new season with a new SP and LP. I don't want to keep anything for last season and it will be like a whole new beginning." said Tomas.
    "it doesn't matter if you love what you do, but that you do what you love"
    a quote Tomas Verner () gave me to think about...

garden freak
    vCash
    I really enjoy his skating and hope he finds a new situation that helps him. He has so much talent, and I hope he can overcome his problems with inconsistency.

vCash
    Come to Boston, Tomas!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Thank you, deedeelocks!
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    read: He's not retiring. Ergo:

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Go Tomas!

He is really sweet guy, I hope he can find success again in his career.

vCash
    YAY TOMAS!!! I hope he likes "overseas"! I hope it all comes together for him!!! Am very happy he opted for change. I enjoy his skating a great deal- looking forward to the future.

vCash
    that is great news!!!

vCash
    Great to see he's addressing the mental aspect and got an experienced sport psychologist.

Him trying out different NA coaches should be turned into a reality tv show.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Ooohhh, he mentioned trying Detroit . . . imagines Jeremy Abbott and Tomas Verner in the same training rink and books a ticket to the motor city STAT! I would LOVE for both Jeremy and Tomas to finally realize their enormous talents at the World Championships. Abbott & Verner for the World podium!!!

vCash
    Woah, looks like Orser picked up everybody from FOI. Who's next? Kiira Korpi?

Thanks deedeelocks for the news. I'm excited to see a revitalized Tomas!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Ooohhh, he mentioned trying Detroit . . . imagines Jeremy Abbott and Tomas Verner in the same training rink and books a ticket to the motor city STAT! I would LOVE for both Jeremy and Tomas to finally realize their enormous talents at the World Championships. Abbott & Verner for the World podium!!!
    Awww I would love to be there, too!! Plus, Daisuke announced that his LP next season would be choreographed again by Camelengo. There is a chance that Daisuke, Jeremy, and Tomas in the same rink at the same time!!!

vCash
    Hmm I am so glad he is getting away from Huth.

Barkell and Orser would be good choices as permanent coaches for him I think. Maybe even Sato?

vCash
    I have been out of the loop but does this mean he has left Huth? If so great decision.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I had to snicker at "legendary coach Brian Orser" - he's only been coaching for a couple of years and he's already legendary?

But I'm glad Tomas is trying new things. And I like that he's saying that he doesn't know if it will work out or not, but he's willing to try it out. Really, it's the start of a new quadrennial, so the best time to try things out, and after last season, really, what does he have to lose?

vCash
    thank god he's getting away from Huth

vCash
    I'm really looking forward to this. I've never really been able to warm to Tomas... and I've often felt quite guilty about it , because his quality is plain to see. But I seldom like his programs , or his costumes. Put that together with his lack of confidence ( or whatever) and I always wind up thinking of him as a "might have been ". Wherever he settles ,I really hope this can work out for him.
    Last edited by Pratfall; 05-13-2010 at 05:56 AM.

vCash
    Thank you for posting, DeeDee! Yay for Tomas sticking to skating and not retiring!

vCash
    I´m glad that Tomas has not given up skating and is trying to find new systems. Actually I hoped that he would have done that earlier, but better late than never... Somehow his win of the European title confused his head and he became more inconsistent after that. I sure hope that his problems will be fixed now...

vCash
    What a great news!
    Very good that he seeks help for a sports psychologist plus new coach(es)! When he is on, he is among the best of the world and has all the potential to win the Worlds.
    Go, Tommy!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast