Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    That being said, most ISU judges aren't distinguishing enough between pcs components so it's not as if USFS judges are doing sth different.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    They are told not to apparently as silly as that is.
    By whom?

We know Joe Inman suggested in a way that became public that judges should think about the Transitions score separate from the other ones.

Do you know of similar instructions not to separate the marks?

vCash
    Post-Nationals article summarizing the men's results with quotes by Armin Mahbanoozadeh (heading to Four Continents) and coach Audrey Weisiger, plus an update on Tommy Steenberg: http://www.fcnp.com/news/8493-armin-...-taipei-city/#

vCash
    The dance major and performance work with the George Mason group sounds very exciting! I hope Tommy will skate again, at least in shows, so we can see the effects of these efforts.

Title-less
    vCash
    Well, the judges' decision proves one thing: the fact that Weir got left off the team at 2009 wasn't a conspiracy. USFSA judges do that to any skater who has not done well enough at nationals, regardless of the skater's international credentials.

vCash
    Or, who knows, the final results might have been different with different judges?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Dornbush has scored quite well in the JGP for several years now. He's the current JGPF champion, so he's not exactly a non-entity. If he skates as well as he did in the JGPF & US Nationals, he'll do well for himself. IMO, the key is to skate a clean SP and be in the last two groups.

His jumps are huge, and his program suits him very well.
    Agreed.

Lysacek was also 19 yrs. old when he got bronze at '05 Worlds, his 1st Worlds, and was considered the no. 2 American behind Weir. I would say that Dornbush is a little better than Lysacek was in '05 [I'm not saying he medal. Chan and the 3 JPN men are way too strong, but he could conceivably be as high as 5th]

I also think the SP is critical. He needs to get in the penultimate group. His SP seems weaker than his LP, so he's got to NOT bury himself there. I see he changed his 3l to a 3f in the SP. Therefore, I think he's moving in the right direction. Would be great if he got the Quad, but maybe that's too much to hope for

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I also think the SP is critical. He [Dornbush] needs to get in the penultimate group. His SP seems weaker than his LP, so he's got to NOT bury himself there. I see he changed his 3l to a 3f in the SP. Therefore, I think he's moving in the right direction. Would be great if he got the Quad, but maybe that's too much to hope for
    3Lo was the required solo jump in the Junior SP this season. Dornbush has been up-and-down with his SP in recent years and so I agree that skating a solid SP at Worlds is crucial for him.

As for the quad toe, here's a quote from his coach Tammy Gambill at Nationals: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "It wasn't ready for nationals, but he's started to land quad toes in practice," Gambill said. "Right now, he doesn't own the quad; he rents it."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    3Lo was the required solo jump in the Junior SP this season. Dornbush has been up-and-down with his SP in recent years and so I agree that skating a solid SP at Worlds is crucial for him.

As for the quad toe, here's a quote from his coach Tammy Gambill at Nationals: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Good quote. It sounds from the article that the Quad is coming along.

Title-less
    vCash
    WHile we are on the topic, I am wondering what Mroz will do next season. Despite the quad he keeps losing to the quadless boys at nationals.
    There doesn't seem to be much joy in his skating and he probably could use a bit more passion if he wants to take his skating to another level.

vCash
    Thank you for bringing up Mroz! I feel terrible for him. Didn't he get 2 GP medals this season? All that work, going where he's assigned, and all for naught. No 4CC, no Worlds.

With this new system, we're not growing and rewarding skaters who go out on thier GP assignments and do thier jobs.

vCash
    New system? I'm not aware of any changes.

USFS has always used US Nationals as it's selection tool?

Why do you think Johnny Weir didn't make it to Worlds in 2009, when he was a World bronze medallist, and had made the GPF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    New system? I'm not aware of any changes.

USFS has always used US Nationals as it's selection tool?

Why do you think Johnny Weir didn't make it to Worlds in 2009, when he was a World bronze medallist, and had made the GPF.
    Yeah, I have no idea what "new system" either. Yes, Brandon lost to guys with no quads but that is sort of misleading since his quad was downgraded. Brandon also needs to be able to get his levels up on his spins and step sequences at the end of his program. Both spins and the step sequence were level 1 which isn't going to cut it. He has things, not just PCS, that he needs to work on. I've said before that I'd like to see him with a different coach, but I don't really believe that is what is going to happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    With this new system, we're not growing and rewarding skaters who go out on thier GP assignments and do thier jobs.
    This is bar none the least sensible post I've seen since Nationals.

vCash
    This is bar none the least sensible post I've seen since Nationals.
    Totally agree. Who wrote that? Obviously my (computer, twitter, facebook) was hacked.
    Obviously.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    Totally agree. Who wrote that? Obviously my (computer, twitter, facebook) was hacked.
    Obviously.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    WHile we are on the topic, I am wondering what Mroz will do next season. Despite the quad he keeps losing to the quadless boys at nationals.
    There doesn't seem to be much joy in his skating and he probably could use a bit more passion if he wants to take his skating to another level.
    Even when Mroz landed his quad this season, it looked like he was barely hanging on to the landing. His jumps stopped looking impressive after his silver medal at Nationals two years ago. Aside from the jumps, the rest of his skating is just so blah. I think maybe he has reached the peak of what he's capable of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Or, who knows, the final results might have been different with different judges?
    Or--heaven forbid--with different scores randomly dropped. (Do they still do that? I remember people doing calculations with different scores dropped wrt Johnny v Evan and Johnny could have won had different marks been dropped.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Or--heaven forbid--with different scores randomly dropped. (Do they still do that?)
    No. The ISU stopped doing it a year or two ago. I don't think USFS ever did it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Even when Mroz landed his quad this season, it looked like he was barely hanging on to the landing. His jumps stopped looking impressive after his silver medal at Nationals two years ago. Aside from the jumps, the rest of his skating is just so blah. I think maybe he has reached the peak of what he's capable of.
    He has the jumps and nothing else. Many others have the jumps too and pretty much everything else as well.

There isn't going to be a break through until he decides to leave Tom Z and work on other areas of his skating.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314