Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Ajax,

Let me know what kind of shows you typically enjoy so that I can give you a recommendation based on that. There are just too many good shows out there to choose from, that it would be best to help you along a bit if I knew what you liked.
    Anything funny and non-kiddie (so no Mary Poppins or Lion King), musicals are OK as long as it's not all songs. My absolute favorite show that I've seen so far is Spamalot.

Has anyone seen 39 Steps? Somebody recommended that to me elsewhere but nobody seems to know it much.

Thanks for the recs so far everyone. Looks like Jersey Boys and Wicked are the most recced ones so I'll look into those. Keep them coming!

vCash
    Currently selling tickets on Broadway and grouped by my ratings:

MUST SEE:
    Billy Elliot: Dramatic
    Hair: Amazing score, great performances
    In the Heights: Changes the way musicals are seen
    Jersey Boys: A great jukebox musical
    La Cage aux Folles: So much fun
    Lion King: The opening gives you chills
    Mamma Mia!: Giggles the whole way through
    Memphis: GORGEOUS! My pick for Best Musical this season
    Next to Normal: AMAZING story and unusual but great score
    Promises, Promises: Fun!
    Sondheim on Sondheim: Great performances
    South Pacific: A classic
    West Side Story: Another classic
    Wicked: The 'Musical du' jour'

Good if you like that sort of thing:
    American Idiot: Great reviews
    Fela!: African inspired musical... not a typical show. Not for everyone.
    Harry Connick, Jr. in Concert Concert
    A Little Night Music: Can be dull, but worth it to see Angela Landsbury
    Rock of Ages: Take it or leave it
    Come Fly Away: Typical Twila Tharp

Not good based on friends' reviews:
    Addams Family: I have heard that it is a trainwreck.

It will be around a while, so see it later:
    Chicago: Musical
    Mary Poppins: Musical
    Phantom of the Opera: Musical

No Clue:
    Million Dollar Quartet: Musical*

vCash
    MUST SEE:
    La Cage aux Folles: So much fun
    So this run of La Cage is good? I haven't heard from anyone who has seen it this time around, but I really want to see it.

Not good based on friends' reviews:
    Addams Family: I have heard that it is a trainwreck.
    Yeah, that is pretty much what I've heard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Anything funny and non-kiddie (so no Mary Poppins or Lion King), musicals are OK as long as it's not all songs. My absolute favorite show that I've seen so far is Spamalot.

Has anyone seen 39 Steps? Somebody recommended that to me elsewhere but nobody seems to know it much.
    Wanted to, but didn't get to. I did hear that it was hilarious.

I agree that Next to Normal is really good, but I couldn't call it funny. It has funny moments, but it's more of a musical drama.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I saw Wicked a month ago and was absolutely blown away by it. If you're there, spend the $$ and buy a ticket and see it. Amazing show, great actors with fantastic voices...just an all around amazing production.

If you want funny (and very off colour, not politically correct) - go to Avenue Q... You can even buy booze during the show and it's served to you.... ;-) Yes, it's *that* kind of a show!!

vCash
    Folks, this is awesome. Thanks for all the posts. Not sure what to do now. I'm going to NYC in two weekends (Canada long weekend). Dumb question. What's the best way to buy tickets? I'd like to know options to pre-buy online (what sites?) and if it makes sense to find last minute tickets for some shows and if so how do you get those kinda rush seats.

Thanks, all!!

vCash
    Ajax - I was just in New York City last week, and the word from my people there was Million Dollar Quartet was pretty brilliant. But I believe it is all musical/little dialogue.

More here:

http://www.milliondollarquartetlive.com/

But if that era is not your cup of tea, default to Wicked if you have never seen it. It is truly brilliant.

Rock2 - TKTS is your friend.

http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

Other than that, go directly to the box office of the theatre - as no extortionist TicketMaster fees/add ons that way.

Beyond that, everything Jayar said.

vCash
    TKTS in Times Square posts a list of what they have available for that day and night. It's good for some of the longer running shows (we saw Hair and Mamma Mia for half price) but the top shows like Wicked and Lion King (which is NOT just for kids!) aren't available there. You have to go to the box offices for those.

But for me that's part of the fun. We put together a list of stuff we'd like to see and then go see what we can get tickets for.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Next to Normal: AMAZING story and unusual but great score
    I second this. N2N is amazing, and Alice Ripley is PHENOMENAL in the role of Diana.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    TKTS in Times Square posts a list of what they have available for that day and night. It's good for some of the longer running shows (we saw Hair and Mamma Mia for half price) but the top shows like Wicked and Lion King (which is NOT just for kids!) aren't available there. You have to go to the box offices for those.
    Also, don't forget about the other TKTS locations in South Street Seaport and Brooklyn. They tend to be less crowded than Times Square.

vCash
    You can get some good deals by signing up for e-mails from Playbill.com. They'll give you discount codes that you can use to buy your tickets.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianskater View Post
    I second this. N2N is amazing, and Alice Ripley is PHENOMENAL in the role of Diana.
    Alice Ripley is out now, no? The cover is MUCH better. (but this show is pretty depressing...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nypanda View Post
    Alice Ripley is out now, no? The cover is MUCH better. (but this show is pretty depressing...)

She is still in. She does not have an understudy if I understand correctly... I believe she only has a standby. If the cover is MUCH better, then she has got to be out of this world. Alice Ripley was/is phenomenal.

vCash
    Jayar - really you liked her? She's a brilliant actress, but man, she sang the entire show a 1/2 step flat. Just saying. They autotuned her on the cast recording. I fear Girlfriend has belted out her pipes for good (imo).

A friend of mine plays in the pit - could have sworn he said she was out for good (happily, for him -- because of the above) - but she may have renegotiated when the extended post-Pulitzer.

Anyway -- good show either way. I just got tix to take my sister to "In the Heights" next week. Lets see if Jordin can pull this off...

vCash
    A LOT of people liked Ripley, if you can go by the raves I've read on Broadway boards. And the Tony Award. I was pretty impressed with her myself. A lot of people like her standby too. They're two very talented women, from all I hear.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nypanda View Post
    Jayar - really you liked her? She's a brilliant actress, but man, she sang the entire show a 1/2 step flat. Just saying. They autotuned her on the cast recording. I fear Girlfriend has belted out her pipes for good (imo).

A friend of mine plays in the pit - could have sworn he said she was out for good (happily, for him -- because of the above) - but she may have renegotiated when the extended post-Pulitzer.

Anyway -- good show either way. I just got tix to take my sister to "In the Heights" next week. Lets see if Jordin can pull this off...
    She was 100% not flat when I saw her... she was phenomenal. And she is still in the cast. Aaron Tviet has left and J. Robert Spencer is in his last week of performances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolineL View Post
    We saw Phantom, Oliver, Billy Elliot, Wicked and Hairspray last year in London, and the consensus was that Billy Elliot was the best.

I do think if you like comedy though, you should see Avenue Q.
    Really? I saw Billy Elliot and Oliver there and Wicked and Phantom here, and felt BE was the worst but loved Oliver. But loved, love loved Avenue Q, you would too, especially if you grew up on the Muppets and Different Strokes!

vCash
    I'd have given my eye teeth to have seen Rowan Atkinson play Fagin. But I did get the cast album, at least.

vCash
    Oliver was the hardest ticket to get, and the theatre was PACKED and about 40 degrees inside. They were giving out free bottles of water (usually they would be charging two pounds a bottle). We did see Rowan though, and he was fantastic.

Saw Avenue Q twice, and I would see it again. Totally fun.

I'm back in October hoping to see Love Never Dies with the original cast. I know the reviews are horrible but I want to see it for myself.

vCash
    In the mood for a laugh, are you?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast